2000-11-21 15:22:46

by Ron L. Smith

Subject: Quota files on root FS get "too large" error after 2.4.x upgrade

After installing and configuring kernel 2.4.0-test11, all is working well,
except quota's on the root FS. I am at a loss as to how to correct this:

ls -l /quota.*
ls: /quota.group: Value too large for defined data type
ls: /quota.user: Value too large for defined data type

rm -f /quota.*
rm: cannot remove `/quota.group': Value too large for defined data type
rm: cannot remove `/quota.user': Value too large for defined data type

I have just started testing with the 2.4.x series kernel, so do not know if
this would have been seen in any previous testxx version.

2000-11-21 20:18:19

by Jan Kara

Hello.

> After installing and configuring kernel 2.4.0-test11, all is working well,
> except quota's on the root FS. I am at a loss as to how to correct this:
>
> ls -l /quota.*
> ls: /quota.group: Value too large for defined data type
> ls: /quota.user: Value too large for defined data type
>
> rm -f /quota.*
> rm: cannot remove `/quota.group': Value too large for defined data type
> rm: cannot remove `/quota.user': Value too large for defined data type
>
> I have just started testing with the 2.4.x series kernel, so do not know if
> this would have been seen in any previous testxx version.
Strange... Could you send strace of ls, so that I can get idea where this
message comes from?

Thanks
Honza