Subject: newbie, 2.4.0-test11-pre4 no compile when CONFIG_AGP=y

I'll preface this saying I'm a kernel compile newbie and I could be making
the most basic of mistakes.

My problem is that I have an Asus CUSL2 board and am attempting to use the
Intel i815-based on-board video. I'm on Redhat 7.0, which works great with
the stock 2.2.16-22 kernel.

I am able to compile and boot a 2.4.0-test10 kernel for text only. The
problem is that to use the on-board video of the i810/i815 board, you have
to have agpgart -- but when I try to turn CONFIG_AGP=y in the .config the
2.4.0-test11-pre4 compile fails on agpsupport.c:35

I've found many references to similar problems in prior test builds, but I
thought this was already patched? There linux-kernel mailing list archives
had a lengthy discussion about other .config setting dependencies, but I
couldn't find the "final word" on this issue.

I have documented the EXACT procedure I use to build my kernel. For every
attempt, I start with a DELETED /usr/src/linux/ tree and all fresh files
from the downloaded tarball. My steps are documented at:

http://www.roundsparrow.com/Linux/240oni815/

Any help appreciated. Feel free to keep replies off the main list, as this
may be a training issue more than a kernel one :)

Thanks.

Stephen Gutknecht
Renton, Washington
mailto:[email protected]

2000-11-14 11:12:38

by Keith Owens

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 00:56:13 -0800,
linux-kernel <[email protected]> wrote:
>I'll preface this saying I'm a kernel compile newbie and I could be making
>the most basic of mistakes.

You are. Hand editing the .config file gives undefined results. Make
all changes through menuconfig or xconfig. The config system does lots
of work behind the scenes which is not peformed if you hand edit.

2000-11-14 14:48:05

by Jeff Garzik

Keith Owens wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 00:56:13 -0800,
> linux-kernel <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I'll preface this saying I'm a kernel compile newbie and I could be making
> >the most basic of mistakes.
>
> You are. Hand editing the .config file gives undefined results. Make
> all changes through menuconfig or xconfig. The config system does lots
> of work behind the scenes which is not peformed if you hand edit.

Hand editing works just fine... You just have to remember to run "make
oldconfig" afterwards.

Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik |
Building 1024 | The chief enemy of creativity is "good" sense

2000-11-14 15:14:46

by Richard B. Johnson

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Keith Owens wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 00:56:13 -0800,
> > linux-kernel <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >I'll preface this saying I'm a kernel compile newbie and I could be making
> > >the most basic of mistakes.
> >
> > You are. Hand editing the .config file gives undefined results. Make
> > all changes through menuconfig or xconfig. The config system does lots
> > of work behind the scenes which is not peformed if you hand edit.
>
> Hand editing works just fine... You just have to remember to run "make
> oldconfig" afterwards.
>
> Jeff

Only __sometimes__. There are "questions" that will be skipped even
in `make oldconfig` if some things are hand edited. Hand editing,
followed by `make oldconfig` works only if you know what you are doing.

I wouldn't suggest it for a "newbie'.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.4.0 on an i686 machine (799.54 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.