2021-02-12 07:05:08

by Aneesh Kumar K.V

Subject: Memory keys and io_uring.

Hi,

I am trying to estabilish the behaviour we should expect when passing a
buffer with memory keys attached to io_uring syscalls. As show in the
blow test

/*
* gcc -Wall -O2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -o pkey_uring pkey_uring.c -luring
*/
#include <stdio.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/mman.h>
#include "liburing.h"

#define PAGE_SIZE (64 << 10)

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
int fd, ret, pkey;
struct io_uring ring;
struct io_uring_sqe *sqe;
struct io_uring_cqe *cqe;
struct iovec iovec;
void *buf;

if (argc < 2) {
printf("%s: file\n", argv[0]);
return 1;
}

ret = io_uring_queue_init(1, &ring, IORING_SETUP_SQPOLL);
if (ret < 0) {
fprintf(stderr, "queue_init: %s\n", strerror(-ret));
return 1;
}

fd = open(argv[1], O_RDONLY | O_DIRECT);
if (fd < 0) {
perror("open");
return 1;
}

if (posix_memalign(&buf, PAGE_SIZE, PAGE_SIZE))
return 1;
iovec.iov_base = buf;
iovec.iov_len = PAGE_SIZE;

//mprotect(buf, PAGE_SIZE, PROT_NONE);
pkey = pkey_alloc(0, PKEY_DISABLE_WRITE);
pkey_mprotect(buf, PAGE_SIZE, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, pkey);

sqe = io_uring_get_sqe(&ring);
if (!sqe) {
perror("io_uring_get_sqe");
return 1;
}
io_uring_prep_readv(sqe, fd, &iovec, 1, 0);

ret = io_uring_submit(&ring);
if (ret != 1) {
fprintf(stderr, "io_uring_submit: %s\n", strerror(-ret));
return 1;
}

ret = io_uring_wait_cqe(&ring, &cqe);

if (cqe->res < 0)
fprintf(stderr, "iouring submit failed %s\n", strerror(-cqe->res));
else
fprintf(stderr, "iouring submit success\n");

io_uring_cqe_seen(&ring, cqe);

/*
* let's access this via a read syscall
*/
ret = read(fd, buf, PAGE_SIZE);
if (ret < 0)
fprintf(stderr, "read failed : %s\n", strerror(errno));

close(fd);
io_uring_queue_exit(&ring);

return 0;
}

A read syscall do fail with EFAULT. But we allow read via io_uring
syscalls. Is that ok? Considering memory keys are thread-specific we
could debate that kernel thread can be considered to be the one that got all access
allowed via keys or we could update that access is denied via kernel
thread for any key value other than default key (key 0). Other option
is to inherit the memory key restrictions when doing
io_uring_submit() and use the same when accessing the userspace from
kernel thread.

Any thoughts here with respect to what should be behaviour?

-aneesh

2021-02-12 07:34:52

by Dave Hansen

Subject: Re: Memory keys and io_uring.

On 2/11/21 10:59 PM, Aneesh Kumar K.V wrote:
> A read syscall do fail with EFAULT. But we allow read via io_uring
> syscalls. Is that ok?

In short, yes.

As much as I'd like to apply pkey permissions to all accesses, when we
don't have the CPU registers around, we don't have a choice: we have to
let the access through.

The same basic thing is done for accesses via the IOMMU and for things
like ptrace() where the ptracer's registers don't have anything to do
with the ptracee's address space.

We could *probably* be a bit pickier at io_uring_submit() time. But,
I'm not sure it's worth it.

2021-02-12 15:18:21

by Jens Axboe

On 2/11/21 11:59 PM, Aneesh Kumar K.V wrote:

> [...]
> ret = read(fd, buf, PAGE_SIZE);
> if (ret < 0)
> fprintf(stderr, "read failed : %s\n", strerror(errno));
>
> close(fd);
> io_uring_queue_exit(&ring);
>
> return 0;
> }
>
> A read syscall do fail with EFAULT. But we allow read via io_uring
> syscalls. Is that ok? Considering memory keys are thread-specific we
> could debate that kernel thread can be considered to be the one that got all access
> allowed via keys or we could update that access is denied via kernel
> thread for any key value other than default key (key 0). Other option
> is to inherit the memory key restrictions when doing
> io_uring_submit() and use the same when accessing the userspace from
> kernel thread.
>
> Any thoughts here with respect to what should be behaviour?

It this a powerpc thing? I get -EFAULT on x86 for both reads, io_uring
and regular syscall. That includes SQPOLL, not using SQPOLL, or
explicitly setting IOSQE_ASYNC on the sqe.

--
Jens Axboe

2021-02-12 15:37:50

by Aneesh Kumar K.V

On 2/12/21 8:45 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> [...]
>> io_uring_queue_exit(&ring);
>>
>> return 0;
>> }
>>
>> A read syscall do fail with EFAULT. But we allow read via io_uring
>> syscalls. Is that ok? Considering memory keys are thread-specific we
>> could debate that kernel thread can be considered to be the one that got all access
>> allowed via keys or we could update that access is denied via kernel
>> thread for any key value other than default key (key 0). Other option
>> is to inherit the memory key restrictions when doing
>> io_uring_submit() and use the same when accessing the userspace from
>> kernel thread.
>>
>> Any thoughts here with respect to what should be behaviour?
>
> It this a powerpc thing? I get -EFAULT on x86 for both reads, io_uring
> and regular syscall. That includes SQPOLL, not using SQPOLL, or
> explicitly setting IOSQE_ASYNC on the sqe.

Interesting, I didn't check x86 because i don't have hardware that
supports memory keys. I am trying to make ppc64 behavior compatible with
other archs here.

IIUC, in your test io_wqe/sqe kernel thread did hit access fault when
touching the buffer on x86? That is different from what Dave explained
earlier.

With the patch 8c511eff1827 ("powerpc/kuap: Allow kernel thread to
access userspace after kthread_use_mm") I now have key 0 access allowed
but all other keys denied with ppc64. I was planning to change that to
allow all key access based on reply from Dave. I would be curious to
understand what made x86 deny the access and how did kthread inherit the
key details.

-aneesh

2021-02-12 15:39:48

by Jens Axboe

On 2/12/21 8:33 AM, Aneesh Kumar K.V wrote:
> On 2/12/21 8:45 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> On 2/11/21 11:59 PM, Aneesh Kumar K.V wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to estabilish the behaviour we should expect when passing a
>>> buffer with memory keys attached to io_uring syscalls. As show in the
>>> blow test
>>>
>>> /*
>>> * gcc -Wall -O2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -o pkey_uring pkey_uring.c -luring
>>> */
>>> #include <stdio.h>
>>> #include <fcntl.h>
>>> #include <string.h>
>>> #include <stdlib.h>
>>> #include <unistd.h>
>>> #include <sys/mman.h>
>>> #include "liburing.h"
>>>
>>> #define PAGE_SIZE (64 << 10)
>>>
>>> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
>>> {
>>> int fd, ret, pkey;
>>> struct io_uring ring;
>>> struct io_uring_sqe *sqe;
>>> struct io_uring_cqe *cqe;
>>> struct iovec iovec;
>>> void *buf;
>>>
>>> if (argc < 2) {
>>> printf("%s: file\n", argv[0]);
>>> return 1;
>>> }
>>>
>>> ret = io_uring_queue_init(1, &ring, IORING_SETUP_SQPOLL);
>>> if (ret < 0) {
>>> fprintf(stderr, "queue_init: %s\n", strerror(-ret));
>>> return 1;
>>> }
>>>
>>> fd = open(argv[1], O_RDONLY | O_DIRECT);
>>> if (fd < 0) {
>>> perror("open");
>>> return 1;
>>> }
>>>
>>> if (posix_memalign(&buf, PAGE_SIZE, PAGE_SIZE))
>>> return 1;
>>> iovec.iov_base = buf;
>>> iovec.iov_len = PAGE_SIZE;
>>>
>>> //mprotect(buf, PAGE_SIZE, PROT_NONE);
>>> pkey = pkey_alloc(0, PKEY_DISABLE_WRITE);
>>> pkey_mprotect(buf, PAGE_SIZE, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, pkey);
>>>

>>> sqe = io_uring_get_sqe(&ring);
>>> if (!sqe) {
>>> perror("io_uring_get_sqe");
>>> return 1;
>>> }
>>> io_uring_prep_readv(sqe, fd, &iovec, 1, 0);
>>>
>>> ret = io_uring_submit(&ring);
>>> if (ret != 1) {
>>> fprintf(stderr, "io_uring_submit: %s\n", strerror(-ret));
>>> return 1;
>>> }
>>>
>>> ret = io_uring_wait_cqe(&ring, &cqe);
>>>
>>> if (cqe->res < 0)
>>> fprintf(stderr, "iouring submit failed %s\n", strerror(-cqe->res));
>>> else
>>> fprintf(stderr, "iouring submit success\n");
>>>
>>> io_uring_cqe_seen(&ring, cqe);
>>>
>>> /*
>>> * let's access this via a read syscall
>>> */
>>> ret = read(fd, buf, PAGE_SIZE);
>>> if (ret < 0)
>>> fprintf(stderr, "read failed : %s\n", strerror(errno));
>>>
>>> close(fd);
>>> io_uring_queue_exit(&ring);
>>>
>>> return 0;
>>> }
>>>
>>> A read syscall do fail with EFAULT. But we allow read via io_uring
>>> syscalls. Is that ok? Considering memory keys are thread-specific we
>>> could debate that kernel thread can be considered to be the one that got all access
>>> allowed via keys or we could update that access is denied via kernel
>>> thread for any key value other than default key (key 0). Other option
>>> is to inherit the memory key restrictions when doing
>>> io_uring_submit() and use the same when accessing the userspace from
>>> kernel thread.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts here with respect to what should be behaviour?
>>
>> It this a powerpc thing? I get -EFAULT on x86 for both reads, io_uring
>> and regular syscall. That includes SQPOLL, not using SQPOLL, or
>> explicitly setting IOSQE_ASYNC on the sqe.
>>

> Interesting, I didn't check x86 because i don't have hardware that
> supports memory keys. I am trying to make ppc64 behavior compatible with
> other archs here.
>
> IIUC, in your test io_wqe/sqe kernel thread did hit access fault when
> touching the buffer on x86? That is different from what Dave explained
> earlier.

Yes, all four methods (task inline, task_work, SQPOLL, io-wq offload)
return -EFAULT for me on x86.

> With the patch 8c511eff1827 ("powerpc/kuap: Allow kernel thread to
> access userspace after kthread_use_mm") I now have key 0 access allowed
> but all other keys denied with ppc64. I was planning to change that to
> allow all key access based on reply from Dave. I would be curious to
> understand what made x86 deny the access and how did kthread inherit the
> key details.

I'm not very familiar with the memory protection for pkeys and how it's
done on various archs, so not going to be of much help there... But
io_uring assumes the right mm for any of these accesses, so if it's tied
to that, then it should work as it does on x86.

--
Jens Axboe