2000-10-28 00:26:08

by Benson Chow

Subject: Tekram's TRM-1040S USCSI proc driver?

Anyone know if Tekram's DC315/DC395 SCSI driver will be incorporated
into the kernel distribution? I think their driver is GPL, or was there
some other reason it wasn't incorporated?

Their source code is on their website...

Just wonderring... (unfortunately I had a DC315 for a day but had to give
it up... it was the worst of the AHA2940A and DC390F that I already
had...)

-bc

2000-10-28 14:05:34

by Matthias Andree

Subject: Re: Tekram's TRM-1040S USCSI proc driver?

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Benson Chow wrote:

> Anyone know if Tekram's DC315/DC395 SCSI driver will be incorporated
> into the kernel distribution? I think their driver is GPL, or was there
> some other reason it wasn't incorporated?

The driver will not be included until its maintainer, currently Kurt
Garloff, says it's ready for inclusion.

--
Matthias Andree

2000-10-28 16:06:43

by Kurt Garloff

Hi Benson,

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 06:25:45PM -0600, Benson Chow wrote:
> Anyone know if Tekram's DC315/DC395 SCSI driver will be incorporated
> into the kernel distribution? I think their driver is GPL, or was there
> some other reason it wasn't incorporated?
>
> Their source code is on their website...

and newer sources can be found on my website as I am the maintainer of this
driver:
http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc395/
You find everyhting you need to compile a driver module (or to incorporate
it into the kernel) for 2.2 and 2.4 kernels.

> Just wonderring... (unfortunately I had a DC315 for a day but had to give
> it up... it was the worst of the AHA2940A and DC390F that I already
> had...)

As Matthias pointed out correctly: I did not ask for inclusion into the
mainstream kernel yet.

There's a reason for this:
The driver works only for 98% of the people.
Then there is one percent with weird problems that I can't understand at all
(PCI DMA errors or spontaneous reboots ...)
And one percent, where the driver ends up aborting commands, not recovering
and finally sometimes corrupting data.

It's the latter that worries me and I do not want to push the driver into
the kernel, as long as I do not understand and solved these issues.
After all, it's not a sound driver that just fails to operate, but a SCSI
driver which you entrust your data to.

Sorry!

Kurt Garloff <[email protected]> Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development
SuSE GmbH, Nuernberg, FRG SCSI, Security

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.57 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)
Download all attachments