2000-11-08 19:19:17

by Marcus Meissner

Subject: tcp/ip connections and downed/removed netdevs

Hi,

I have a rather strange problem in regard to routing and tcp/ip connections.

My setup:
- default route to eth0, metric 2
- ppp dialin to static ip (ppp0), is another default route, metric 0

I open a telnet connection over the ppp0 interface.

I then down and remove the ppp0 interface (ifconfig -a ppp0 shows 'no such
device'), the default route over ppp0 is gone.

Symptom:
The telnet connection hangs.

No packets are transmitted over the still alive eth0 defaultroute.
tcpdump -i eth0 shows 0 packets, "netstata -a" shows an increasing
SendQ on the connection.

If I dialin again, the still hanging packets get transmitted to
the target.

I am not sure, but should this be?

Shouldn't packets get routed over eth0 in the case an interface vanishes?

Ciao, Marcus

2000-11-08 19:30:51

by Richard B. Johnson

Subject: Re: tcp/ip connections and downed/removed netdevs

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a rather strange problem in regard to routing and tcp/ip connections.
>
> My setup:
> - default route to eth0, metric 2
> - ppp dialin to static ip (ppp0), is another default route, metric 0
>
> I open a telnet connection over the ppp0 interface.
>
> I then down and remove the ppp0 interface (ifconfig -a ppp0 shows 'no such
> device'), the default route over ppp0 is gone.

No. Look in /etc/ppp/ip_up /etc/ppp/ip_down. Read the docs. These control
what gets set/reset when the ppp connection is set up or torn down.

You can configure to do anything you want, including completely
reconfiguring your network when a ppp connection is established.

This is not a kernel affair.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.4.0 on an i686 machine (799.54 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.