2000-11-13 00:44:06

by Anton Altaparmakov

Subject: Linux-2.2.x-BUG(?) memmory not detected

Hi,

Just noticed that both 2.2.18pre21 and RedHat-7.0-patched-2.2.16 kernels
only detect 64Mb out of 192Mb RAM on my Dual Celeron/Intel 440GX chipset
based workstation. - I haven't tried any other 2.2 kernels on that
particular PC so maybe this is a general 2.2.x thing.

The setup is one 64Mb SDRAM and one 128Mb SDRAM so it would seem that the
128Mb one is not detected at all.

All 2.3/2.4 kernels I have tried have always detected the full 192Mb RAM.

Is this a known feature or a bug? - If I can supply any more info to help
track this down just let me know what you want to know and I will be happy
to obtain the information from this PC...

Regards,

Anton

--
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he
learned in school." - Albert Einstein

2000-11-13 01:25:03

by J.A. Magallon

Subject: Re: Linux-2.2.x-BUG(?) memmory not detected

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 01:43:44 Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just noticed that both 2.2.18pre21 and RedHat-7.0-patched-2.2.16 kernels
> only detect 64Mb out of 192Mb RAM on my Dual Celeron/Intel 440GX chipset
> based workstation. - I haven't tried any other 2.2 kernels on that
> particular PC so maybe this is a general 2.2.x thing.
>
> The setup is one 64Mb SDRAM and one 128Mb SDRAM so it would seem that the
> 128Mb one is not detected at all.
>
> All 2.3/2.4 kernels I have tried have always detected the full 192Mb RAM.

It's a bug, but in the mobo. Some motherboards lie about its installed ram.
2.3+ kernels have a workaround for detection, but in 2.2 you still have
to manually add <append="mem=128M"> in your lilo.conf file.

--
Juan Antonio Magallon Lacarta #> cd /pub
mailto:[email protected] #> more beer