2000-11-13 14:23:54

by Rasmus Andersen

Subject: Oops on 2.2.17 [klogd bonus question]

Hi.

I'm getting oopses on a linux 2.2.17 box when I try to do
tar cvIf <file> -X<file> /. Reproducably. This works fine
for the std. RH 6.2 kernel (2.2.14-5). The resulting file
is about 20MB.

I would submit the oops, but it is run through klogd and
I seem to remember people expressing dissatisfaction
with klogd. So what do I do now to get a usable oops
to submit?

Regards,
Rasmus

2000-11-14 00:32:00

by Marcelo Tosatti

Subject: Re: Oops on 2.2.17 [klogd bonus question]

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Rasmus Andersen wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm getting oopses on a linux 2.2.17 box when I try to do
> tar cvIf <file> -X<file> /. Reproducably. This works fine
> for the std. RH 6.2 kernel (2.2.14-5). The resulting file
> is about 20MB.
>
> I would submit the oops, but it is run through klogd and
> I seem to remember people expressing dissatisfaction
> with klogd. So what do I do now to get a usable oops
> to submit?

I dont know anything wrong with klogd.

Anyway, kill klogd so you'll get a non decoded oops on your screen and
then you can decoded it with ksymoops.

2000-11-14 05:43:45

by Peter Samuelson

[Rasmus Andersen]
> I'm getting oopses on a linux 2.2.17 box when I try to do
> tar cvIf <file> -X<file> /. Reproducably.

Are you excluding /proc? Trying to back up all of /proc is definitely
asking for trouble, although the oops still indicates a kernel bug.

Peter

2000-11-14 09:26:15

by Rasmus Andersen

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 11:10:08PM -0600, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Rasmus Andersen]
> > I'm getting oopses on a linux 2.2.17 box when I try to do
> > tar cvIf <file> -X<file> /. Reproducably.
>
> Are you excluding /proc? Trying to back up all of /proc is definitely
> asking for trouble, although the oops still indicates a kernel bug.

Good suggestion. But I exclude /proc and anyways it crashes before I get
to that part of the fs.

Regards,
Rasmus