2000-11-15 18:39:22

by W. Michael Petullo

Subject: EJECT ioctl fails on empty SCSI CD-ROM

Apparently using the CDROMEJECT ioctl with kernel 2.4-testX fails on
a SCSI CD-ROM that does not have a disc in it. The errno returned
corresponds to the string ``No such file or directory.''

The Linux CD-ROM Standard states that CDROMEJECT opens the drive tray.
It does not mention any prerequisite such as media being present.

Is this the expected behavior? If so, I am curious to hear the rationale
behind it.

Thanks!

--
W. Michael Petullo

:wq

2000-11-15 20:36:59

by James Stevenson

Subject: Re: EJECT ioctl fails on empty SCSI CD-ROM

Hi

this is what i get on 2.2.17

open("/dev/scd1", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 3
ioctl(3, CDROMEJECT, 0xbffffc78) = 0
close(3) = 0

In local.linux-kernel-list, you wrote:
>Apparently using the CDROMEJECT ioctl with kernel 2.4-testX fails on
>a SCSI CD-ROM that does not have a disc in it. The errno returned
>corresponds to the string ``No such file or directory.''
>
>The Linux CD-ROM Standard states that CDROMEJECT opens the drive tray.
>It does not mention any prerequisite such as media being present.
>
>Is this the expected behavior? If so, I am curious to hear the rationale
>behind it.

Check Out: http://stev.org
E-Mail: [email protected]
8:00pm up 32 days, 7:56, 5 users, load average: 0.17, 0.53, 0.29

2000-11-15 20:52:52

by Richard B. Johnson

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, James Stevenson wrote:

> Hi
>
> this is what i get on 2.2.17
>
> open("/dev/scd1", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 3
> ioctl(3, CDROMEJECT, 0xbffffc78) = 0
> close(3) = 0
>

> In local.linux-kernel-list, you wrote:
> >Apparently using the CDROMEJECT ioctl with kernel 2.4-testX fails on
> >a SCSI CD-ROM that does not have a disc in it. The errno returned
> >corresponds to the string ``No such file or directory.''
> >
> >The Linux CD-ROM Standard states that CDROMEJECT opens the drive tray.
> >It does not mention any prerequisite such as media being present.
> >
> >Is this the expected behavior? If so, I am curious to hear the rationale
> >behind it.

Well the open fails with ENOMEDIUM (errno 123). This is hardly appropriate
since you can't insert any "media" on some machines without a paperclip.

readlink("/dev/cdrom", "", 256) = 9
open("/dev/scd0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ERRNO_123 (errno 123)

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.4.0 on an i686 machine (799.54 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

2000-11-15 23:03:28

by Richard B. Johnson

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, James Stevenson wrote:
>

> > Hi
> >
> > this is what i get on 2.2.17
> >
> > open("/dev/scd1", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 3
> > ioctl(3, CDROMEJECT, 0xbffffc78) = 0
> > close(3) = 0
> >

> > >Is this the expected behavior? If so, I am curious to hear the rationale
> > >behind it.
> >

> Well the open fails with ENOMEDIUM (errno 123). This is hardly appropriate
> since you can't insert any "media" on some machines without a paperclip.
>
> readlink("/dev/cdrom", "", 256) = 9
> open("/dev/scd0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ERRNO_123 (errno 123)

Well, here is another 'eject'.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <linux/cdrom.h>

int main(int arg, char *argv[])
{
int fd;
if(((fd = open("/dev/cdrom", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK)) > 0) ||
(arg > 1) && ((fd = open(argv[1], O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK)) > 0))
{
if(ioctl(fd, CDROMEJECT, NULL)) /* If it failed */
{
(void)ioctl(fd, CDROMRESET, NULL); /* Reset it */
(void)ioctl(fd, CDROMEJECT, NULL);
}
(void)close(fd);
exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
}
perror("open");
exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
}

If there is no media in the drive, it fails to eject (open the tray).

open("/dev/cdrom", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 3
ioctl(3, CDROMEJECT, 0) = 671088642 -> error = 0
ioctl(3, 0x5312, 0) = 0 CDROMRESET
ioctl(3, CDROMEJECT, 0) = 671088642
close(3) = 0
_exit(0) = ?

I don't see an ioctl for CDROMOPENTRAY so I suppose CDROMEJECT
is the correct ioctl.

The last time I used CDROMEJECT, (Linux 2.2.17), it worked if there
was no media.