2000-11-24 20:37:31

by Wouter Verheijen

Subject: PROBLEM: kernel oops at bootup (2.2.17, Mandrake 7.2)

Hello,

I just bought Linux Mandrake 7.2. The problem described applies to (at
least) the kernel used to boot the installation.
It OCCURS just after the detection of the buses and harddisks:
hda: ....
hdc: ....
hdd: ....
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000014
[see attached OOPS-TRACE, not absolutely sure this kernel matches this
System.map.]

Kernel version: 2.2.17
Kernel 2.2.14, 2.0, and 2.4-pre7 are known to WORK on my machine. I am
not sure if something was BROKEN in this specific release, or because
of certain options customized by Mandrake (for the installation)?

SYSTEM DESCRIPTION:
Intel Pentium 133
Host bridge: VIA Technologies VT 82C585 Apollo VP1/VPX (rev 2)
48MB RAM
NE2000 ethernet adapter
I also tried with BIOS safe options (e.g. no power management)

I hope you can point me out where to look for the problem. If you need
more information, please contact me.

Best regards,
--
Wouter Verheijen