2000-11-30 14:06:18

by V Ganesh

Subject: beware of add_waitqueue/waitqueue_active

there's a very subtle race with using add_waitqueue() as a barrier,
in the __find_lock_page() which used to exist in test9. it seems to be fixed
in test11, but I thought I should mention this just in case it's ever used in
a similar manner elsewhere.

the race manifests itself as a lost wakeup. the process is stuck in schedule()
in __find_lock_page(), with TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE, but on examining the struct
page * it was waiting for, page->flags is 72, indicating that it's unlocked.
page->wait shows this process in the waitqueue.

looking at the code for __find_lock_page...

__set_task_state(tsk, TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE);
add_wait_queue(&page->wait, &wait);

if (PageLocked(page)) {
schedule();
}
__set_task_state(tsk, TASK_RUNNING);
remove_wait_queue(...)

and that of UnlockPage(),
#define UnlockPage(page) do { \
smp_mb__before_clear_bit(); \
clear_bit(PG_locked, &(page)->flags); \
smp_mb__after_clear_bit(); \
if (waitqueue_active(&page->wait)) \
wake_up(&page->wait); \
} while (0)

now assuming that everyone in the system uses UnlockPage() and no one
directly does a clear_bit(PG_locked) (which I'm absolutely certain of),
a possible sequence of events which could lead to this is:
1. __set_task_state(tsk, TASK_UNINT...)
2. add_wait_queue is called. takes spinlock. this is serializing.
3. add_wait_queue adds this process to the waitqueue. but all the writes
are in write-buffers and have not gone down to cache/memory yet.
4. PageLocked() finds that the page is locked.
5. UnlockPage is called from another CPU from interrupt context. it clears
bit, waitqueue_active() decides that there's no waiting process
(because the add_waitqueue() changes haven't gone to cache yet) and
returns. note that waitqueue_active() doesn't take the waitqueue spinlock.
if it did, it would have been obliged to wait until the spin_unlock (and
therefore the preceding writes) hit cache, and would have found a nonempty
list.
6. schedule() is called, never to return.

another thing which could increase the race window is speculative execution
of PageLocked() even before add_wait_queue returns, since the return
address might have been predicted by the RSB.

I've attached a simple module which reproduces the problem (at least on my
4 * 550 MHz PIII(Katmai), model 7, stepping 3). compile with
gcc -O2 -D__SMP__ -fno-strength-reduce -g -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -c -g race.c
insmod race.o
it will printk appropriately on termination.
basically it consists of two threads moving in lockstep. one locks a page-like
structure, the other unlocks. if the unlocker detects that the locker hasn't
locked in 5 seconds it concludes that a wakeup is lost.

one solution is not to presume add_wait_queue() acts as a barrier if we have a
conditional schedule and the wakeup path makes use of waitqueue_active(). we can
use
add_wait_queue(...);
set_current_state(...); /* serializes */
if (condition) schedule();

__find_lock_page() no longer uses the racy mechanism in test11 and a cursory
examination of the rest of the kernel doesn't show any prominent offenders.
so this is just an interesting postmortem of an obsolete corpse...

ganesh

#define __KERNEL__
#define MODULE
#include <linux/autoconf.h>
#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/init.h>
#include <linux/sched.h>
#include <linux/wait.h>
#include <asm/delay.h>

struct foo {
int state;
wait_queue_head_t wait;
} foo;

#define ITER (1 << 30)
#define LockFoo(foop) set_bit(0, &(foop)->state)
#define FooLocked(foop) test_bit(0, &(foop)->state)
#define UnlockFoo(foop) { \
smp_mb__before_clear_bit(); \
clear_bit(0, &(foop)->state); \
smp_mb__after_clear_bit(); \
if (waitqueue_active(&(foop)->wait)) { \
wake_up(&(foop)->wait); \
} \
}

static int race_exit = 0;

int locker(void *tmp)
{
struct task_struct *tsk = current;
unsigned int n = 0;
DECLARE_WAITQUEUE(wait, tsk);

exit_files(current);
daemonize();
while (1) {
LockFoo(&foo);

__set_task_state(tsk, TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE);
add_wait_queue(&foo.wait, &wait);

if (FooLocked(&foo)) {
schedule();
}
__set_task_state(tsk, TASK_RUNNING);
remove_wait_queue(&foo.wait, &wait);
if (race_exit) {
printk("locker looped %u times\n", n);
return 1;
}
n++;
}
}

int unlocker(void *tmp)
{
int counter = 0;
unsigned int n = 0;

exit_files(current);
daemonize();
while (n < ITER) {
counter = jiffies;
while(!FooLocked(&foo)) {
if (counter + HZ * 5 < jiffies) {
printk("RACE !\n");
race_exit = 1;
wake_up(&foo.wait);
return 1;
}
}
UnlockFoo(&foo);
n++;
}
while(!test_bit(0, &foo.state));
printk("no race\n");
race_exit = 1;
wake_up(&foo.wait);
return 0;
}

static int __init init_race(void)
{
foo.state = 0;
init_waitqueue_head(&foo.wait);
kernel_thread(locker, NULL, SIGCHLD);
kernel_thread(unlocker, NULL, SIGCHLD);
return 0;
}

static void __exit exit_race(void)
{
}

module_init(init_race);
module_exit(exit_race);

2000-11-30 21:58:26

by Andrea Arcangeli

Subject: Re: beware of add_waitqueue/waitqueue_active

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 07:02:56PM +0530, V Ganesh wrote:
> 3. add_wait_queue adds this process to the waitqueue. but all the writes
> are in write-buffers and have not gone down to cache/memory yet.
> 4. PageLocked() finds that the page is locked.

Right.

> [..] speculative execution
> of PageLocked() even before add_wait_queue returns [..]

Right.

Both could happen because of the new spin_unlock implementation that doesn't
take anymore the lock on the bus:

#define spin_unlock_string \
"movb $1,%0"

With the previous `lock ; btrl' 4) couldn't happen with pending
writes on the write buffer because spin_unlock was a full barrier too...

Alpha was safe because it has to imply an mb() in spin_unlock (but
sparc64 was hurted too for example).

As you say the problematic construct is not used anymore into 2.4.0-test12-pre2
in filemap.c so such deadlock can't happen anymore but it's been useful that
you pointing out the problem, thanks.

Andrea