2001-02-22 19:45:25

by f5ibh

Subject: trouble with 2.4.2 just released

Hi Heitzso,

>On the other box I have yet to get a
>successful build (using a .config that
>runs 2.4.2-pre4 fine). ld complains
>about a missing binary file.

>ld: cannot open binary: no such file or directory

ld is not complaining about a missing file.

The problem is with the version of ld you use. Some versions are using
ld --oformat and other versions ld -oformat

This is quite a recent issue. So check the version of you linker.

You can solve the problem changing :
./arch/i386/boot/Makefile: $(LD) -Ttext 0x0 -s -oformat binary -o $@ $<
to --oformat

I think you hav not done any mistake, but the latest Debian (unstable) version
of ld seems not to be right.

I think this will works.

---------
Best Regards

Jean-Luc

2001-02-22 19:54:37

by Christopher Chimelis

Subject: RE: trouble with 2.4.2 just released

> The problem is with the version of ld you use. Some versions
> are using
> ld --oformat and other versions ld -oformat
>
> This is quite a recent issue. So check the version of you linker.
>
> You can solve the problem changing :
> ./arch/i386/boot/Makefile: $(LD) -Ttext 0x0 -s -oformat
> binary -o $@ $<
> to --oformat
>
> I think you hav not done any mistake, but the latest Debian
> (unstable) version
> of ld seems not to be right.

The latest binutils in Debian potato will take either -oformat or --oformat,
IIRC.
The lastest binutils in Debian unstable (just uploaded yesterday) will only
take --oformat. So, if you modify arch/i386/boot/Makefile to read:

$(LD) -Ttext 0x0 -s --oformat binary -o $@ $< ...blah blah blah
you should be fine no matter which you're using...

Chris
(Debian binutils maintainer)