2002-04-09 08:02:59

by Martin.Knoblauch

Subject: Tyan S2462 reboot problems

Hi,

what (which config option) could be the reason for a reboot hang on a
S2462 (2x1900MP, 2GB, BIOS 2.09) between POST/BIOS and LILO?

The situation is that I have kernels. One of them hangs said system(s)
reproducible when doing a reboot, that other works fine. When the
systems "hang", they hang before LILO gets started. Just a white block
cursor on the left-upper corner of the screen.

On cold start or on pressing the reset button both kernels boot fine.
Any ideas? The working kernel is 2.4.17SMP as shipped by
FujitsuSiemens/Redhat. The bad one is 2.4.18-ac3+trondsNFSstuff. The
config files are not identical. Thats why I ask which of the options
could cause the effect.

TIA
Martin
Martin Knoblauch | email: [email protected]
TeraPort GmbH | Phone: +49-89-510857-309
C+ITS | Fax: +49-89-510857-111
http://www.teraport.de | Mobile: +49-170-4904759

2002-04-09 19:17:58

by Andrew Burgess

Subject: Re: Tyan S2462 reboot problems

> what (which config option) could be the reason for a reboot hang on a
>S2462 (2x1900MP, 2GB, BIOS 2.09) between POST/BIOS and LILO?

You don't say what kind of disk controllers but 2.4.18 was broken with
respect to error handling and Promise IDE controllers. I have one flakey disk
that would reboot a new machine after a few minutes activity. 2.4.19pre6 just
prints an error message, retrys and gos merrily on it way.

So if you have Promise chips maybe try switching boot drives?

HTH

Andrew Burgess

2002-04-09 20:15:12

by Daniel Gryniewicz

Hi.

No, I doubt this has anything to do with Linux. I have a S2460 (which his
corrected post says he has), which does not power down under linux, and
*never* warm boots cleanly. It does power down under windows, so I assume
ACPI powerdown works and APM does not. I have gone under the assumption that
a BIOS upgrade will fix this, but that involves putting a floppy into the box,
so I haven't done it yet. The warm boot problems consist of either a hang
after POST (but before bootloader, OS irrelevent), or really bad video
corruption. I don't know if it boot with the video corruption, I've never let
it try.

Daniel

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:17:51 -0700
Andrew Burgess <[email protected]> wrote:

> > what (which config option) could be the reason for a reboot hang on a
> >S2462 (2x1900MP, 2GB, BIOS 2.09) between POST/BIOS and LILO?
>
> You don't say what kind of disk controllers but 2.4.18 was broken with
> respect to error handling and Promise IDE controllers. I have one flakey
disk> that would reboot a new machine after a few minutes activity. 2.4.19pre6
just> prints an error message, retrys and gos merrily on it way.

> So if you have Promise chips maybe try switching boot drives?
>
> HTH
>
> Andrew Burgess
>
> -

---
Recursion n.:
See Recursion.
-- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary

2002-04-09 20:20:38

by John Jasen

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:

> No, I doubt this has anything to do with Linux. I have a S2460 (which his
> corrected post says he has), which does not power down under linux, and
> *never* warm boots cleanly. It does power down under windows, so I assume
> ACPI powerdown works and APM does not. I have gone under the assumption that
> a BIOS upgrade will fix this, but that involves putting a floppy into the box,
> so I haven't done it yet. The warm boot problems consist of either a hang
> after POST (but before bootloader, OS irrelevent), or really bad video
> corruption. I don't know if it boot with the video corruption, I've never let
> it try.

I did update to the new BIOS for the 246x (I can never keep them straight
either), and that did help some with the halt and reboot problems I was
having.

--
-- John E. Jasen ([email protected])
-- User Error #2361: Please insert coffee and try again.

2002-04-09 21:57:45

by Jeff V. Merkey

I have also seen some problems with the Tyan S2720 with hyperthreading
enabled in a dual P4 configuration during bootup. Several of the
drivers lock up during bootup, AIC7XXX gets scsi timeouts and
3Ware cards hard hang the bus when hyperthreading is enabled. These
problems do not occur on the SuperMicro P4DE6 which is also running
the Intel 7500 chipset.

Jeff

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:20:17PM -0400, John Jasen wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
>
> > No, I doubt this has anything to do with Linux. I have a S2460 (which his
> > corrected post says he has), which does not power down under linux, and
> > *never* warm boots cleanly. It does power down under windows, so I assume
> > ACPI powerdown works and APM does not. I have gone under the assumption that
> > a BIOS upgrade will fix this, but that involves putting a floppy into the box,
> > so I haven't done it yet. The warm boot problems consist of either a hang
> > after POST (but before bootloader, OS irrelevent), or really bad video
> > corruption. I don't know if it boot with the video corruption, I've never let
> > it try.
>
> I did update to the new BIOS for the 246x (I can never keep them straight
> either), and that did help some with the halt and reboot problems I was
> having.
>

> --
> -- John E. Jasen ([email protected])
> -- User Error #2361: Please insert coffee and try again.
>
> -

by David Weinehall

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:14:12PM -0400, Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
> Hi.
>
> No, I doubt this has anything to do with Linux. I have a S2460
> (which his corrected post says he has), which does not power down
> under linux, and *never* warm boots cleanly. It does power down under
> windows, so I assume ACPI powerdown works and APM does not. I have
> gone under the assumption that a BIOS upgrade will fix this, but that
> involves putting a floppy into the box, so I haven't done it yet. The
> warm boot problems consist of either a hang after POST (but before
> bootloader, OS irrelevent), or really bad video corruption. I don't
> know if it boot with the video corruption, I've never let it try.

Uhm, no, you don't need a floppy in your computer to upgrade the BIOS;
I upgraded it for this TYAN 2466 today, using /dev/bios
<http://www.freiburg.linux.de/OpenBIOS/status/devbios.html>
and it worked perfectly fine.

That said, using the in-kernel ACPI should probably work for powerdown.

Regards: David Weinehall
_ _
// David Weinehall <[email protected]> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

2002-04-10 14:32:19

by Martin.Knoblauch

> Re: Tyan S2462 reboot problems
>
> From: John Jasen ([email protected])
> Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 15:20:17 EST
>

> > No, I doubt this has anything to do with Linux. I have a S2460 (which his
> > corrected post says he has), which does not power down under linux, and

No correction from me :-) For me it is still s2462 (aka Thuder K7).

> > *never* warm boots cleanly. It does power down under windows, so I assume
> > ACPI powerdown works and APM does not. I have gone under the assumption that
> > a BIOS upgrade will fix this, but that involves putting a floppy into the box,
> > so I haven't done it yet. The warm boot problems consist of either a hang
> > after POST (but before bootloader, OS irrelevent), or really bad video

That sounds like it.

> > corruption. I don't know if it boot with the video corruption, I've never let
> > it try.
>
> I did update to the new BIOS for the 246x (I can never keep them straight
> either), and that did help some with the halt and reboot problems I was
> having.

John,

do you recall from which to which version of the BIOS your upgrade
went? The upgrade procedure for the s2462 implies a W98 boot floppy
(never ever seen one of those :-) and it also strongly reccommends
flashing the CMOS memory. As this involves playing with jumpers on the
MB and I have 9 of them screwed into a rack, I hesitate to go that
path.... As I wrote the MBs are at 2.09 and the newest version from Tyan
is 2.10, with a not very interesting list of fixes/enhancements.

Martin
Martin Knoblauch | email: [email protected]
TeraPort GmbH | Phone: +49-89-510857-309
C+ITS | Fax: +49-89-510857-111
http://www.teraport.de | Mobile: +49-170-4904759

2002-04-10 16:21:35

by Nicholas Berry

What display adapter are you using? BIOS's earlier than 1.04 screwed up royally with ATI Radeon 8500/7500 cards - actually, so does 1.04, but not as much. I've also noticed that Radeon + Adaptec 39160 corrupts video where without the Adaptec it doesn't. Strange.

Nik

(This is on the 2460, not 2462)

>>> Daniel Gryniewicz <[email protected]> 04/09/02 04:14PM >>>
> Hi.

> No, I doubt this has anything to do with Linux. I have a S2460 (which his
> corrected post says he has), which does not power down under linux, and
> *never* warm boots cleanly. It does power down under windows, so I assume
> ACPI powerdown works and APM does not. I have gone under the assumption that
> a BIOS upgrade will fix this, but that involves putting a floppy into the box,
> so I haven't done it yet. The warm boot problems consist of either a hang
> after POST (but before bootloader, OS irrelevent), or really bad video
> corruption. I don't know if it boot with the video corruption, I've never let
> it try.

> Daniel

2002-04-10 18:46:25

by Daniel Gryniewicz

Hercules 4500 (Kyro II). I run the Vesa drivers, as I don't run any of the
distro's that have beta drivers, and I do have video corruption occasionally,
but not very often (and never in Windows).

Daniel

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:21:03 -0400
"Nicholas Berry" <[email protected]> wrote:

> What display adapter are you using? BIOS's earlier than 1.04 screwed up
royally with ATI Radeon 8500/7500 cards - actually, so does 1.04, but not as
much. I've also noticed that Radeon + Adaptec 39160 corrupts video where
without the Adaptec it doesn't. Strange.>
> Nik
>
> (This is on the 2460, not 2462)

> > Hi.
>
> > No, I doubt this has anything to do with Linux. I have a S2460 (which
his> > corrected post says he has), which does not power down under linux, and
> > *never* warm boots cleanly. It does power down under windows, so I assume
> > ACPI powerdown works and APM does not. I have gone under the assumption
that> > a BIOS upgrade will fix this, but that involves putting a floppy into
the box,> > so I haven't done it yet. The warm boot problems consist of
either a hang> > after POST (but before bootloader, OS irrelevent), or really
bad video> > corruption. I don't know if it boot with the video corruption,
I've never let> > it try.

> > Daniel

---
Recursion n.:
See Recursion.
-- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary

2002-04-11 15:41:11

by Jordan Breeding

I have a Tyan Thunder K7 (S2462UNG). I run with the onboard video
jumpered to off and a ATI Radeon 7500 AGP in the AGP slot. Windows and
FreeBSD install, run, reboot, and shutdown just fine. Linux will
install and run fine, but then when it reboots the screen hangs (no new
output -- the last words on the screen are "Rebooting now." or something
similar) and then the hd activity light on my case comes on solid for
the ECC test of the RAM even though the screen has still not been
cleared, then as the post messages come up they are very jumbled,
complete video corruption and the corruption does not go away until
either Windows or XFree86 loads completely (which ever is currently my
default OS). This problem occurs with the RedHat 7.2 (the one on the
disc) kernel, the RedHat 7.2.93 kernel, and the gentoo 1.0 kernel. I
have not tried any others yet. I run with either no frame buffer at all
or if I use one I use the in kernel radeonfb driver, either way the
corruption happens. I wouldn't have though twice about Windows being
successful at this since it often has odd fixed for odd problems, but
the thing that really got me wondering about this is that FreeBSD seems
to not have any issues rebooting/halting this machine. Thanks for any
information you all might have about what is going on.

Jordan