2002-09-19 15:23:04

by Nadav Har'El

Subject: weird code (bug?) in IP options handling

While browsing the ip-options setting code in Linux 2.4-18, I came across
the following peculiar code in net/ipv4/ip_options.c in ip_options_compile.
The code is apparently used when a setsockopt(fd, SOL_IP, IP_OPTIONS,...)
is called and one of the options is IPOPT_END (0):

for (l = opt->optlen; l > 0; ) {
switch (*optptr) {
case IPOPT_END:
for (optptr++, l--; l>0; l--) {
if (*optptr != IPOPT_END) {
*optptr = IPOPT_END;
opt->is_changed = 1;
}
}
goto eol;

I am *guessing* that this piece of code was meant to zero (assign as
IPOPT_END) all option bytes after the first IPOPT_END. However, this is
not what actually happens in this code. In this code, only a single
byte after the first IPOPT_END (optptr++) is zeroed, and this same
assignment is done many times in a loop! This can't have been intended :)

I am guessing that this is just a programming error, and the programmer
perhaps intended to make the assignment in the inner for loop as

*optptr = IPOPT_END;

Who's in charge for this code and can perhaps take a look at it?

By the way, I wonder: why zero the options at all? Why not simply leave
all option bytes after the first IPOPT_END as-is?

--
Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Sep 19 2002, 14 Tishri 5763
[email protected] |-----------------------------------------

2002-09-19 15:27:21

by Nadav Har'El

Subject: Re: weird code (bug?) in IP options handling

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002, Nadav Har'El wrote about "weird code (bug?) in IP options handling":
> I am guessing that this is just a programming error, and the programmer
> perhaps intended to make the assignment in the inner for loop as
>
> *optptr = IPOPT_END;

Oops, I meant something like

*optptr++ = IPOPT_END;

--
Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Sep 19 2002, 14 Tishri 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |"God is dead." - Nietzsche; "Nietzsche is
http://nadav.harel.org.il |dead" - God