2002-09-21 18:16:33

by Martin Hermanowski

Subject: UML error message clone failed/new thread failed

Hi,

I got the following log messages inside an user mode linux:
,----
| kernel: copy_thread : clone failed - errno = 1
| kernel: flush_thread : new thread failed, errno = 1
| kernel: flush_thread : new thread failed, errno = 1
| kernel: copy_thread : clone failed - errno = 1
`----

No new processes could be started in the uml, but why?

Is this a problem with the process limits of the host linux?

Regards,
Martin

Attachments:
(No filename) (418.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Jeff Dike

[email protected] said:
> No new processes could be started in the uml, but why?
> Is this a problem with the process limits of the host linux?

Host and UML versions?

Jeff

2002-09-22 09:26:15

by Martin Hermanowski

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 02:45:42PM -0400, Jeff Dike wrote:
> [email protected] said:
>> No new processes could be started in the uml, but why?
>> Is this a problem with the process limits of the host linux?
>
> Host and UML versions?

The host is running a vanilla 2.4.17, the UML is the one in Debian Woody
(2.4.18.17um-1). I had this errors only once, and I suspect that
something on the host went wrong, but the logs show nothing.

Regards,
Martin

Attachments:
(No filename) (459.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Jeff Dike

[email protected] said:
> The host is running a vanilla 2.4.17, the UML is the one in Debian
> Woody (2.4.18.17um-1)

That's a fairly old UML. If you can make it happen with something more
recent, I'd be interested.

Jeff

2002-09-22 17:51:40

by Martin Hermanowski

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 11:50:26AM -0400, Jeff Dike wrote:
> [email protected] said:
> > The host is running a vanilla 2.4.17, the UML is the one in Debian
> > Woody (2.4.18.17um-1)
>
> That's a fairly old UML. If you can make it happen with something more
> recent, I'd be interested.

I will try something more recent, but I don't think this will happen
soon again. The UML that had the problems is running a mailserver with
amavis and spamd, it has an uptime of about 28 days. The other UMLs on
the same host are running for 73 days now, without any problems.

I had problems with to many processes inside the UML before, but not
like this. Processes in the UML timed out (exim pipe delivery) and new
ones could not be started, but I cannot see the reason.

Regards,
Martin

Attachments:
(No filename) (785.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Jeff Dike

[email protected] said:
> I had problems with to many processes inside the UML before, but not
> like this. Processes in the UML timed out (exim pipe delivery) and new
> ones could not be started, but I cannot see the reason.

Since then, I've fixed some problems with lots of processes inside UML.

Jeff

2002-09-22 19:26:03

by Martin Hermanowski

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 02:57:47PM -0400, Jeff Dike wrote:
> [email protected] said:
>> I had problems with to many processes inside the UML before, but not
>> like this. Processes in the UML timed out (exim pipe delivery) and new
>> ones could not be started, but I cannot see the reason.
>
> Since then, I've fixed some problems with lots of processes inside UML.

That is good to hear. Which version should I use? I prefer Debian
packages, user-mode-linux 2.4.18.48um-1 from testing was created on 30
Jul 2002. Were the fixes before that date or should I use a newer
version? Were are using UML productively, so we need some reliability.

Regards,
Martin

Attachments:
(No filename) (664.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Jeff Dike

[email protected] said:
> I prefer Debian packages, user-mode-linux 2.4.18.48um-1 from testing
> was created on 30 Jul 2002. Were the fixes before that date or should
> I use a newer version?

I believe the fix I'm talking about came after that, but I'm not positive
of it.

Jeff