2002-09-25 14:50:51

by Ville Herva

Subject: 2.2.22 on HP Vectra 90/5: Machine check exception on boot

Trying to boot 2.2.22 on HP Vectra 90/5 gives and endless stream of these:

CPU0 Machine check exception 0x 10E2C0 (type 0x 09)

2.0.35 does boot just fine.

If I optimize for i386 instead of Pentium, I get a different MCE, but it
doesn't boot.

Compiled with
kgcc --version
egcs-2.91.66

The /proc/pci, dmesg output from 2.0.35 boot are attached as is the .config.

-- v --

(No filename) (393.00 B)
.config (10.27 kB)
DMESG (1.92 kB)
PCI (908.00 B)

by Ville Herva

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 05:49:33AM -0400, you [Alan Cox] wrote:
> > CPU0 Machine check exception 0x 10E2C0 (type 0x 09)
> > 2.0.35 does boot just fine.
>
> MCE comes from the hardware not the OS. You may have another odd box like
> the compaq ones where it seems the external mce trigger isnt wired properly.
> If so boot with "nomce"

(It's actually Vectra XU 5/90, not 90/5 - now that I have physical access to
the box again. The google is full of horror stories about problems with this
particular model ;).

I tried SMP kernel, and it went a little further (no MCE) but it halted
after "Intel old style machine check architecture supported". For some odd
reason, linux says the box has 2 cpu's during boot, but it afaik only has
one.

The I forced mce_disabled to 1 in bluesmoke.c, and the SMP kernel booted.
During init, it oopsed, however.

I then compiled an UP kernel again, with mce_disabled=1 (same as "nomce" I
gather), and it booted.

The 3c509 appears not to work (but was found), scsi cdrom coughs badly but
it did boot :).

Thanks.

-- v --

[email protected]