2002-09-25 21:01:42

by DragonK

Subject: Linux 2.4.x Kernel Bug - Problem found

Hello,

Two days ago I've sent you a mail regarding my problem
with the Kernel 2.4(5).x boot hangs.

I'd like to thank the kind people who answered me
back, I really appreciate their efforts.

I have two news: one good, one bad :)
The good one is that I've found the cause of the
kernel lock-up (er...sort of).

Tha bad one is that I can't do anything about it.
I had an ideea and disabled in my BIOS all caches,
floppy controller, ports and other stuff...
Surprise! Kernel 2.4.18 booted (in 10 mins :). No
lock-up!!

Ok...I went back into the BIOS and enabled internal
cache. Boot again...Guess what? :(
Nothing...dead.

So, at least on my system, there is a problem with the
cache. I don't think that the cache memory
itself is bad, since I don't experience random
failures or reboots...

What should I do? If there will be a patch for this,
where would I find it?
Please help!

BIOS Details:
AMI BIOS Release 11/16/97 S
BIOS Mainboard ID:
51-0505-001437-00111111-071595-M1531/43-001_10_TX_PRO-H

I have upgraded/downgraded the BIOS a couple of times
and this doesen't solve the problem.

Thank you.

PS: Here are some details about the CPU and PCIs, for
more info.
processor : 0
vendor_id : CyrixInstead
cpu family : 5
model : 4
model name : 6x86L 2x Core/Bus Clock
stepping : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : yes
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu de cx8 mtrr
bogomips : 149.50

00:00.0 Host bridge: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi]
M1531 [Aladdin IV] (rev b2)
Subsystem: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi]:
Unknown device 1531
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32

00:02.0 ISA bridge: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M1533
PCI to ISA Bridge [Aladdin IV] (rev b4)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

00:03.0 Communication controller: CONEXANT: Unknown
device 1085 (rev 08)
Subsystem: CONEXANT: Unknown device 1085
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64,
IRQ 11
Memory at ef7e0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
I/O ports at eff0
00:06.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c764/765
[Trio32/64/64V+] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Flags: medium devsel
Memory at ef800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Expansion ROM at ef7f0000 [disabled]

00:0b.0 IDE interface: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi]
M5229 IDE (rev 20) (prog-if fa)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
I/O ports at ffa0

http://sbc.yahoo.com

2002-09-26 20:36:55

by Denis Vlasenko

Subject: Re: Linux 2.4.x Kernel Bug - Problem found

On 25 September 2002 19:06, DragonK wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Two days ago I've sent you a mail regarding my problem
> with the Kernel 2.4(5).x boot hangs.
>
> I'd like to thank the kind people who answered me
> back, I really appreciate their efforts.
>
> I have two news: one good, one bad :)
> The good one is that I've found the cause of the
> kernel lock-up (er...sort of).
>
> Tha bad one is that I can't do anything about it.
> I had an ideea and disabled in my BIOS all caches,
> floppy controller, ports and other stuff...
> Surprise! Kernel 2.4.18 booted (in 10 mins :). No
> lock-up!!

Congratulations!

> Ok...I went back into the BIOS and enabled internal
> cache. Boot again...Guess what? :(
> Nothing...dead.
>
> So, at least on my system, there is a problem with the
> cache. I don't think that the cache memory
> itself is bad, since I don't experience random
> failures or reboots...
>
> What should I do? If there will be a patch for this,
> where would I find it?
> Please help!

You have to patch arch/i386/setup.S with some piece of
'marker' asm code (say, infinite loop with blinking keyboard LED :-)
and move it further and further into boot process
until you find a place where it stops blinking.
You'll know then exact place of hang!
--
vda