2002-10-05 20:02:32

by Ben Greear

Subject: Re: tg3 and Netgear GA302T x 2 locks machine

David S. Miller wrote:

> Yes but are you running parallel pktgen streams on two
> tg3's? :-)
>
> Ben, by chance, does reverting the patch below cure your problems?

No, didn't fix it, maybe made it worse.

With pktgen: Locked up as soon as I started it (or less than .5 seconds afterwards).

With raw ethernet packets, sent from user-space, at around 40Mbps bi-directional,
I see loads of these messages:

tg3: eth3: Error, poll already scheduled
tg3: eth2: Error, poll already scheduled
tg3: eth2: Error, poll already scheduled
tg3: eth3: Error, poll already scheduled
tg3: eth3: Error, poll already scheduled
tg3: eth3: Error, poll already scheduled
tg3: eth3: Error, poll already scheduled
tg3: eth3: Error, poll already scheduled

After about 1 minute, the whole machine locked.

Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]> <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com

2002-10-06 04:24:52

by David Miller

From: Ben Greear <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 13:08:02 -0700

With raw ethernet packets, sent from user-space, at around 40Mbps bi-directional,
I see loads of these messages:

tg3: eth3: Error, poll already scheduled

This, frankly, isn't possible.

When we get the first interrupt, we hold the spinlock and have IRQs
disabled, in that environment we invoke netif_rx_schedule_prep(dev)
and then disable device interrupts....

is the tg3 sharing it's IRQ with something else? That might be
an important clue. In that case what you report might be possible.

Otherwise the message you see appears to be totally impossible.