2002-10-05 16:52:38

by Thomas Molina

Subject: 2.5 Problem Report Status

The following status report update can be found at:
http://members.cox.net/tmolina/kernprobs/021004-status.html

The latest update can be found at:
http://members.cox.net/tmolina/kernprobs/status.html

Notes:
* Items marked closed or probable fix will be deleted after Linus
issues the next patch version
* Numerous people are reporting oops on boot in 2.5.39. It appears
the problems are all caused by a bug in isapnp initialization. The
fix is either to disable isapnp or patch in a workaround.

Status Discussion Problem Title
open 30 Sep 2002 KVM/Mouse problem
1. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103299680529254&w=2

The problem was beeing investigated, but I never saw any reference to a
fix being submitted to Linus.
open 20 Sep 2002 AIC7XXX boot failure
2. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103356254615324&w=2

There have been problems reported off and on with this driver in 2.5.
open 18 Sep 2002 Dead loop on virtual device lo
3. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103238248416900&w=2

This was reported for 2.5.36, but I've not seen any followups nor
reference to a fix. There have been several updates to loop.c. Does this
problem still exist? I'm ready to delete it from the list.
open 18 Sep 2002 DRM/XFree issue
4. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103238121815285&w=2

This was reported for 2.5.36, but I've not seen any followups nor
reference to a fix. There have been several updates referring to DRM.
Does this problem still exist? I'm getting ready to drop it from the
list.
open 20 Sep 2002 oops in lock_get_status
5. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103244657605155&w=2

This was being discussed, then data was requested by Matthew Wilcox
<[email protected]> off-list. I've seen no further followups. What is the
status of this? I'm getting ready to drop it from the list.
open 04 Oct 2002 scheduling while atomic oops
6. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103270005902896&w=2

This appears to be a long-running problem. Is it related to the group of
problems below involving "function might sleep while holding a lock" or is
it a scheduling system problem?
open 30 Sep 2002 ide-scsi kernel panic
7. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103336376827272&w=2

Several people have reported problems with ide-scsi either oopsing,
locking up, or causing problems when being inserted or removed. I have
seen any reference to a fix for this one.
open 29 Sep 2002 IDE problems on prePCI
8. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103277899317468&w=2

Mikael Pettersson <[email protected]> reported this problem and proposed a
patch. Was the patch accepted, and did it fix the problem?
open 02 Oct 2002 modular IDE broken
9. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103281667726673&w=2

Doctor, Doctor it hurts when I build ide modular. Well don't do that
then. Alan Cox says this won't be fixed until all other problems with the
ide system get fixed.
fix available 02 Oct 2002 loadlin boot problem
10. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103351848816172&w=2

I'm going to delete this one when Linus issues 2.5.41 unless someone
objects.
open 25 Sep 2002 2.5.38-mm2 aha152x module fails
11. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103296031616858&w=2

Is this specific to the mm tree or does the problem also exist in Linus'
tree? I've not seen reference to a fix.
open 27 Sep 2002 loop trying to go beyond end of
device
12. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103315199307542&w=2

This problem was reported for 2.5.38. I've seen no updates, nor any
reference to a fix. Does the problem still exist in 2.5.40?
open 29 Sep 2002 USB Mass Storage Conflicts
13. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103332858305678&w=2

Stephen Marz <[email protected]> reported this problem for
2.5.38. I've not seen any followups, nor any reference to a fix. Does
the problem still exist?
open 29 Sep 2002 Oracle 9.2 goes OOM on startup
14. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103333545310595&w=2

This problem was reported for 2.5.39. I have seen neither a followup, nor
a reference to a fix. Does this problem still exist in 2.5.40?
open 23 Sep 2002 oops in vsnprintf (2.5-bk)
15. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103282505101823&w=2

More than one person has reported problems when doing a bk pull. Is this
a driver problem, or an application problem?
open 25 Sep 2002 oops with kernel LLC
16. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103296919327682&w=2

followups 29 Sep 2002
17. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103334051214575&w=2

[email protected] (Bob_Tracy) reported this for 2.5.38. He was
requested to try the next version to see if the problem still exists. I
have not seen a followup. Does the problem still exist?
open 27 Sep 2002 oops on modprobe sg
18. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103313163215676&w=2

This problem appears related to the other ide-scsi problem reported above.
Should there be a single item tracking problems with inserting and
removing ide-scsi related modules?
open 29 Sep 2002 oops on boot in 2.5.39
19. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103334726918669&w=2

additional report 01 Oct 2002 also in 2.5.40
20. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103343520729702&w=2

Several people have reported oops on boot in device_attach. It may be
related to isapnp, but that is not confirmed.
open 30 Sep 2002 P4 clock modulation crash
21. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103341311908313&w=2

possible fix available 01 Oct 2002
22. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103341862014756&w=2

This was reported for 2.5.39. Dominik Brodowski <[email protected]> reported
a probable fix and sent it to Linus. I will delete this item when Linus
issues 2.5.41 unless someone objects.
possible fix available 03 Oct 2002 Menuconfig is broken
23. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103356058613554&w=2

Numerous people reported this problem, and a fix was discussed. I will
await results from 2.5.41 testing to decide whether to delete this item or
not.
open 2.5.40 init_irq() function doing unsafe
things inside ide_lock
24. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103316967724891&w=2

Might sleep while holding a lock.
open 2.5.40 usb_hub_events() does down() in
hub_event_lock
25. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103317380027379&w=2

Might sleep while holding a lock.
open 2.5.40 pci_pool_create() calling
device_create_file() under
pools_lock
26. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103317380227383&w=2

Might sleep while holding a lock.
open 2.5.40 register_console() called in illegal