2002-10-21 12:18:40

by jbradford

Subject: Docs for 2.4.x -> 2.6.x

Is anybody currently responsible for writing a 2.4.x -> 2.6.x
migration FAQ/HOWTO/guide at all?

I know, in theory, you should just be able to do a 'make oldconfig',
etc, etc, but we really want to encourage people to move from, say,
OSS to ALSA, and to start using things that were experimental in
2.4.x, but not experimental in 2.6.x

If nobody else is already responsible for making such a document, I'd
be quite interested in collecting the necessary info from the various
maintainers, and collating it in to a usable document.

I think it would be quite useful, because without such an effort, I
think that there will be quite a few 2.6.x boxen out there which are
using no new features over 2.4.x, and as a result aren't going to feel
as much of an improvement as they could do.

John.

2002-10-21 15:26:06

by Josh Myer

Subject: Re: Docs for 2.4.x -> 2.6.x

Would you volunteer to do the same thing for kernel API changes for those
of us who don't pay enough attention to the list?

I have a few random drivers that aren't in mainline, so i always wind up
porting to new kernels (they're trivial, so it's not a big deal, but
sometimes it's annoying to find changes).

Or is someone else already doing this wonderfully sexy job?
--
/jbm, but you can call me josh. Really, you can.

2002-10-21 15:35:49

by jbradford

> Would you volunteer to do the same thing for kernel API changes for those
> of us who don't pay enough attention to the list?

Well, I'm certainly willing to spare the time to do it, but I'm not
sure that I'm particularly qualified to - the 2.4->2.6 doc would be
fairly straightforward for me, but documenting API changes in a useful
way may well require a better understanding of C than I have, (not
sure what I'd be letting myself in for - the only C I've done is
mainly games and other user mode stuff).

> I have a few random drivers that aren't in mainline, so i always wind up
> porting to new kernels (they're trivial, so it's not a big deal, but
> sometimes it's annoying to find changes).
>
> Or is someone else already doing this wonderfully sexy job?

It's possible they might be, I'm not sure...

John.

2002-10-21 15:54:02

by Randy.Dunlap

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 [email protected] wrote:

| > Would you volunteer to do the same thing for kernel API changes for those
| > of us who don't pay enough attention to the list?
|
| Well, I'm certainly willing to spare the time to do it, but I'm not
| sure that I'm particularly qualified to - the 2.4->2.6 doc would be
| fairly straightforward for me, but documenting API changes in a useful
| way may well require a better understanding of C than I have, (not
| sure what I'd be letting myself in for - the only C I've done is
| mainly games and other user mode stuff).
|
| > I have a few random drivers that aren't in mainline, so i always wind up
| > porting to new kernels (they're trivial, so it's not a big deal, but
| > sometimes it's annoying to find changes).
| >
| > Or is someone else already doing this wonderfully sexy job?
|
| It's possible they might be, I'm not sure...
|
| John.
| -

I got the impression that the first poster was asking
for user-level 2.4 -> 2.6 migration HOWTO info,
not kernel API changes. (such as "be sure that all of those
CONFIG_INPU_options are enabled!")

I began keeping 2.5 kernel API changes very early, but then I ran
out of time; there were just so many of them, coming too fast.
Here are the early ones:
http://www.xenotime.net/linux/linux-port-25x.html

--
~Randy
"Do you need telco grade soundblaster 16 ?" -- Alan Cox

2002-10-21 16:02:38

by jbradford

> On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 [email protected] wrote:
>
> | > Would you volunteer to do the same thing for kernel API changes for those
> | > of us who don't pay enough attention to the list?
> |
> | Well, I'm certainly willing to spare the time to do it, but I'm not
> | sure that I'm particularly qualified to - the 2.4->2.6 doc would be
> | fairly straightforward for me, but documenting API changes in a useful
> | way may well require a better understanding of C than I have, (not
> | sure what I'd be letting myself in for - the only C I've done is
> | mainly games and other user mode stuff).
> |
> | > I have a few random drivers that aren't in mainline, so i always wind up
> | > porting to new kernels (they're trivial, so it's not a big deal, but
> | > sometimes it's annoying to find changes).
> | >
> | > Or is someone else already doing this wonderfully sexy job?
> |
> | It's possible they might be, I'm not sure...
> |
> | John.
> | -
>
> I got the impression that the first poster was asking
> for user-level 2.4 -> 2.6 migration HOWTO info,
> not kernel API changes. (such as "be sure that all of those
> CONFIG_INPU_options are enabled!")

Yes, that is really what I meant.

John.