2003-07-16 08:43:38

by Stephane Wirtel

Subject: How to test the new kernel 2.6.0-test1 ?

Hi all,

I am using the kernel 2.6.0-test1 on my computer, and it works perfectly.

Which are the weaknesses of the new kernel, an idea ?

Best Regards,

Stephane Wirtel
--
Stephane Wirtel <[email protected]>
GPG ID : 1024D/C9C16DA7 | 5331 0B5B 21F0 0363 EACD B73E 3D11 E5BC C9C1 6DA7

2003-07-16 10:13:34

by Ian Stirling

Subject: Re: How to test the new kernel 2.6.0-test1 ?

> I am using the kernel 2.6.0-test1 on my computer, and it works perfectly.
>
> Which are the weaknesses of the new kernel, an idea ?

It almost certainly has bugs.
Most of the ones present probably don't show up much on an average
machine, with an average load.

Try the edge cases, such as plugging in twenty thousand USB mice, running
it on a 386/20 with 4Mb ram, unplugging USB devices when in use, ...

The rarer bugs that do present on an average machine, with average loading
just need more people to test, and report oopses or other errors related
to the kernel.

Just running it helps, if only because it lowers the probability of such
bugs being present before 2.6.0 is released.

2003-07-16 15:05:10

by Randy.Dunlap

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:25:18 +0100 (BST) [email protected] wrote:

| > I am using the kernel 2.6.0-test1 on my computer, and it works perfectly.
| >
| > Which are the weaknesses of the new kernel, an idea ?
|
| It almost certainly has bugs.
| Most of the ones present probably don't show up much on an average
| machine, with an average load.
|
| Try the edge cases, such as plugging in twenty thousand USB mice, running
| it on a 386/20 with 4Mb ram, unplugging USB devices when in use, ...
|
| The rarer bugs that do present on an average machine, with average loading
| just need more people to test, and report oopses or other errors related
| to the kernel.
|
| Just running it helps, if only because it lowers the probability of such
| bugs being present before 2.6.0 is released.

The I/O schedulers and process(or) scheduler want to be beaten on
very badly. For process scheduler, try playing music and writing
a CD while building kernels etc. and see how well you can move the
mouse around in X.

--
~Randy
| http://developer.osdl.org/rddunlap/ | http://www.xenotime.net/linux/ |

2003-07-16 17:29:47

by Samuel Flory

Stephane Wirtel wrote:

>Hi all,
>

>I am using the kernel 2.6.0-test1 on my computer, and it works perfectly.
>
>Which are the weaknesses of the new kernel, an idea ?

You might try the various stress testers like cerberus.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/va-ctcs/

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)