2004-09-19 01:51:27

by mike cox

Subject: Logitech and Microsoft Tilt Wheel Mice. Driver suggestions wanted.

I'm modifying Vojtech Pavlik's 2.6.8.1 kernel
mousedev.c mouse driver to support the new "Tilt
wheel" functionality on the Logitech MX1000 Laser
Mouse, and the Microsoft Wireless Optical mouse with
Tilt Wheel Technology.

I have some alpha code already worked out that
compiles with the 2.6.8.1 kernel, but before I submit
it, I'd like some suggestions on how others would like
to see it implemented.

The Tilt wheel is basically a scroll wheel that tilts
left and right enabling the user to scroll left and
right.

Please CC your responses and suggestions as my email
account cannot manage the size of the KML.

Thank you all.

P.S. If you want to see what I have so far, please
respond and I'll happily email you the code or post it
to klm.

http://vote.yahoo.com

2004-09-19 02:28:24

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Saturday 18 September 2004 08:51 pm, mike cox wrote:
> I'm modifying Vojtech Pavlik's 2.6.8.1 kernel
> mousedev.c mouse driver to support the new "Tilt
> wheel" functionality on the Logitech MX1000 Laser
> Mouse, and the Microsoft Wireless Optical mouse with
> Tilt Wheel Technology.

How will the tilt information be exported? And what is wrong with using
event interface? I think that the evdev patches are included into X shipped
by Gentoo, Mandrake and Fedora at least...

--
Dmitry

2004-09-19 03:26:18

by mike cox

--- Dmitry Torokhov <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Saturday 18 September 2004 08:51 pm, mike cox
> wrote:
> > I'm modifying Vojtech Pavlik's 2.6.8.1 kernel
> > mousedev.c mouse driver to support the new "Tilt
> > wheel" functionality on the Logitech MX1000 Laser
> > Mouse, and the Microsoft Wireless Optical mouse
> with
> > Tilt Wheel Technology.
>
> How will the tilt information be exported? And what
> is wrong with using
> event interface? I think that the evdev patches are
> included into X shipped
> by Gentoo, Mandrake and Fedora at least...

I'm using SuSE 8.2 with the 2.6.8.1 kernel. I ran xev
on my machine and it didn't detect any tilting at all.

I asked around on some various newsgroups and there
was not a lot of interest in the logitech and
Microsoft mice that have tilt wheels. This patch was
going to be for myself and all the other small
minority of tilt wheel mouse users.

If you have a better way, that is why I'm asking for
suggestions. Please give them, or tell me if I've
overlooked something.

http://vote.yahoo.com

2004-09-19 03:43:43

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Saturday 18 September 2004 10:26 pm, mike cox wrote:

> --- Dmitry Torokhov <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 18 September 2004 08:51 pm, mike cox
> > wrote:
> > > I'm modifying Vojtech Pavlik's 2.6.8.1 kernel
> > > mousedev.c mouse driver to support the new "Tilt
> > > wheel" functionality on the Logitech MX1000 Laser
> > > Mouse, and the Microsoft Wireless Optical mouse
> > with
> > > Tilt Wheel Technology.
> >
> > How will the tilt information be exported? And what
> > is wrong with using
> > event interface? I think that the evdev patches are
> > included into X shipped
> > by Gentoo, Mandrake and Fedora at least...
>
> I'm using SuSE 8.2 with the 2.6.8.1 kernel. I ran xev
> on my machine and it didn't detect any tilting at all.

Evdev (dev/input/eventX) is the new way of communicating input events
to userspace. It allows input devices pass much more precise information
about their state and it is quite extensible. There are patches for XFree86
and X.org that evdev-ify X mouse and keyboard driver. I will try Google
for them later. They are pretty new, SuSE 8.2 would not have them.

Mousedev is a legacy interface and is very inflexible. I mean there are mice
with more than 5 muttons, many wheels etc etc; data that is impossible to fit
into PS/2 procotol. Look for example at wacom or synaptics drivers to see what
kind of information can be passed through evdev.

--
Dmitry

2004-09-19 07:07:31

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Saturday 18 September 2004 10:43 pm, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> I will try Google for them later. They are pretty new, SuSE 8.2 would
> not have them.

Ok, here is what I found:

The patch for hid-input to convert tilt events to HWHEEL:

http://www.t12.jp/~ryuta/misclab/debian/release/hidinput-tiltwheel-quirk-for-linux-2.6.7.patch

I am not sure who the author is as I do not know Japanese.

The patches for XFree86/XOrg allowing to get data from /dev/input/eventX
can be extracted from the floowing:

http://cudlug.cudenver.edu/gentoo/distfiles/xorg-x11-6.8.0-patches-0.2.tar.bz2

Look for patches 9000, 9001 and 9002. As far as I can see it will allow using
wheel to do horizontal scrolling as well.

--
Dmitry

2004-09-19 07:51:31

by mike cox

--- Dmitry Torokhov <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Saturday 18 September 2004 10:43 pm, Dmitry
> Torokhov wrote:
> > I will try Google for them later. They are pretty
> new, SuSE 8.2 would
> > not have them.
>
> Ok, here is what I found:
>
> The patch for hid-input to convert tilt events to
> HWHEEL:

http://www.t12.jp/~ryuta/misclab/debian/release/hidinput-tiltwheel-quirk-for-linux-2.6.7.patch

> I am not sure who the author is as I do not know
> Japanese.
>
> The patches for XFree86/XOrg allowing to get data
> from /dev/input/eventX
> can be extracted from the floowing:

http://cudlug.cudenver.edu/gentoo/distfiles/xorg-x11-6.8.0-patches-0.2.tar.bz2

> Look for patches 9000, 9001 and 9002. As far as I
> can see it will allow using
> wheel to do horizontal scrolling as well.

My warmest thanks to you Dmitry. I don't know how you
found these tilt wheel drivers, but it has been most
helpful to me and perhaps many others with tilt
wheels.

Once again, thank you very much. :-).