2004-10-16 20:05:48

by Lee Revell

Subject: gcc 3.4 "makes pointer from integer without a cast" warnings in via-rhine-c

I get these warnings compiling via-rhine with gcc 3.4. What is the
correct way to fix this? This came up in another thread and someone
mentioned that just adding a cast is not a "real fix" but just hides the
problem.

drivers/net/via-rhine.c: In function `get_intr_status':
drivers/net/via-rhine.c:536: warning: passing arg 1 of `readw' makes pointer from integer without a cast
drivers/net/via-rhine.c:539: warning: passing arg 1 of `readb' makes pointer from integer without a cast
drivers/net/via-rhine.c: In function `rhine_power_init':
drivers/net/via-rhine.c:555: warning: passing arg 1 of `readb' makes pointer from integer without a cast
drivers/net/via-rhine.c:555: warning: passing arg 2 of `writeb' makes pointer from integer without a cast
drivers/net/via-rhine.c:558: warning: passing arg 2 of `writeb' makes pointer from integer without a cast

etc

Lee

2004-10-17 07:12:45

by Roger Luethi

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:05:50 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> I get these warnings compiling via-rhine with gcc 3.4. What is the
> correct way to fix this? This came up in another thread and someone
> mentioned that just adding a cast is not a "real fix" but just hides the
> problem.

I am offline most of this month, so I may have missed something important
here, but my procmail filter caught Al Viro hacking via-rhine. You may
want to have a look at the 2.6.9-rc4-bird1 patchset he announced, it
looks related (I won't be able to for another couple of weeks at least).

Roger

2004-10-18 11:18:25

by Martin Waitz

hi :)

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 03:46:07PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> I get these warnings compiling via-rhine with gcc 3.4. What is the
> correct way to fix this? This came up in another thread and someone
> mentioned that just adding a cast is not a "real fix" but just hides the
> problem.

look at include/asm-generic/iomap.h

--
Martin Waitz