2004-11-10 18:36:57

by Brian Jackson

Subject: 2.6 vs 2.4: pxe booting system won't restart

I'm having a problem with 2.6 (many versions), and my Via Epia M10000
not rebooting correctly. 2.4 works fine. The problem is after the
computer restarts, and the pxe stuff from the bios tries to do it's
thing, it fails. I get the following error:
PXE_M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

Then the bios tries to fallback to other means of booting, and there
are none. Anybody got any clues where to start looking for fixes?

2004-11-10 19:41:54

by Alan

Subject: Re: 2.6 vs 2.4: pxe booting system won't restart

On Mer, 2004-11-10 at 18:36, Brian Jackson wrote:
> I'm having a problem with 2.6 (many versions), and my Via Epia M10000
> not rebooting correctly. 2.4 works fine. The problem is after the
> computer restarts, and the pxe stuff from the bios tries to do it's
> thing, it fails. I get the following error:
> PXE_M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
>
> Then the bios tries to fallback to other means of booting, and there
> are none. Anybody got any clues where to start looking for fixes?

Remove the kernel code that powers down the ethernet chip. If that works
then poke VIA.

2004-11-10 20:40:02

by Brian Jackson

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:37:31 +0000, Alan Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mer, 2004-11-10 at 18:36, Brian Jackson wrote:
>

> > I'm having a problem with 2.6 (many versions), and my Via Epia M10000
> > not rebooting correctly. 2.4 works fine. The problem is after the
> > computer restarts, and the pxe stuff from the bios tries to do it's
> > thing, it fails. I get the following error:
> > PXE_M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
> >
> > Then the bios tries to fallback to other means of booting, and there
> > are none. Anybody got any clues where to start looking for fixes?
>
> Remove the kernel code that powers down the ethernet chip. If that works

Yay, looks like this bit near line 1950 of via-rhine.c:
/* Hit power state D3 (sleep) */
writeb(readb(ioaddr + StickyHW) | 0x03, ioaddr + StickyHW);

I removed that, and it works like a charm now. Thank you very much.

> then poke VIA.

Poke them to fix the driver or to fix the bios?

2004-11-10 23:20:56

by Alan

On Mer, 2004-11-10 at 20:36, Brian Jackson wrote:
> > Remove the kernel code that powers down the ethernet chip. If that works
>
> Yay, looks like this bit near line 1950 of via-rhine.c:
> /* Hit power state D3 (sleep) */
> writeb(readb(ioaddr + StickyHW) | 0x03, ioaddr + StickyHW);
>
> I removed that, and it works like a charm now. Thank you very much.

Excellent - its as I thought - the BIOS isn't bringing the chip out of
powersave for PXE but assumes it is live. Possibly one for a module
option but really it is a BIOS bug, although a very minor and easy to
understand how it got missed one

Alan

2004-11-11 18:47:56

by Roger Luethi

[BCC'ed the people at VNTEK who are on the case]

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:36:50 -0600, Brian Jackson wrote:
> > > Then the bios tries to fallback to other means of booting, and there
> > > are none. Anybody got any clues where to start looking for fixes?
> >
> > Remove the kernel code that powers down the ethernet chip. If that works
>
> Yay, looks like this bit near line 1950 of via-rhine.c:
> /* Hit power state D3 (sleep) */
> writeb(readb(ioaddr + StickyHW) | 0x03, ioaddr + StickyHW);
>
> I removed that, and it works like a charm now. Thank you very much.

I'm sorry, I should posted a warning earlier. This problem has been
reported before.

> > then poke VIA.
>
> Poke them to fix the driver or to fix the bios?

BIOS. I can't fix this in the driver. Some hardware requires D3 for WOL.

Roger