2005-10-31 11:03:49

by Nico Schottelius

Subject: Rescan SCSI Bus without /proc/scsi?

Hello!

As noticed in 2.6 kernels, on should not use /proc/scsi anymore.

This breaks the popular rescan-scsi-bus.sh from Kurt Garloff.
Is there a possibility to do that through /sys somehow or do I have
to reanable /proc/scsi?

Greetings,

Nico

--
Latest project: cconfig (http://nico.schotteli.us/papers/linux/cconfig/)
Open Source nutures open minds and free, creative developers.

Attachments:
(No filename) (386.00 B)
signature.asc (827.00 B)
Digital signature

by Nico Schottelius

Subject: Re: Rescan SCSI Bus without /proc/scsi?

Googling better before makes sense:

On
http://bash.cyberciti.biz/diskadmin/rescan-scsi-bus.sh.html
is a script using /sys. Though it does not work on linux-2.6.13 here,
I'll search what's broken.

Nico

Nico Schottelius [Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 12:03:44PM +0100]:
> Hello!
>
> As noticed in 2.6 kernels, on should not use /proc/scsi anymore.
>
> This breaks the popular rescan-scsi-bus.sh from Kurt Garloff.
> Is there a possibility to do that through /sys somehow or do I have
> to reanable /proc/scsi?
>
> Greetings,
>
> Nico
>
> --
> Latest project: cconfig (http://nico.schotteli.us/papers/linux/cconfig/)
> Open Source nutures open minds and free, creative developers.

--
Latest project: cconfig (http://nico.schotteli.us/papers/linux/cconfig/)
Open Source nutures open minds and free, creative developers.

Attachments:
(No filename) (820.00 B)
signature.asc (827.00 B)
Digital signature

by Andreas Schwab

Nico Schottelius <[email protected]> writes:

> This breaks the popular rescan-scsi-bus.sh from Kurt Garloff.
> Is there a possibility to do that through /sys somehow or do I have
> to reanable /proc/scsi?

Your version of rescan-scsi-bus.sh is quite old. Current versions of
rescan-scsi-bus.sh already use /sys when available.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, [email protected]
SuSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstra?e 5, 90409 N?rnberg, Germany

by Kurt Garloff

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 12:13:54PM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Nico Schottelius <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > This breaks the popular rescan-scsi-bus.sh from Kurt Garloff.
> > Is there a possibility to do that through /sys somehow or do I have
> > to reanable /proc/scsi?
>
> Your version of rescan-scsi-bus.sh is quite old. Current versions of
> rescan-scsi-bus.sh already use /sys when available.

Attached for reference.
--
Kurt Garloff

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Alistair John Strachan

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 13:51, Kurt Garloff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 12:13:54PM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> > Nico Schottelius <[email protected]> writes:
> > > This breaks the popular rescan-scsi-bus.sh from Kurt Garloff.
> > > Is there a possibility to do that through /sys somehow or do I have
> > > to reanable /proc/scsi?
> >
> > Your version of rescan-scsi-bus.sh is quite old. Current versions of
> > rescan-scsi-bus.sh already use /sys when available.
>
> Attached for reference.

>From the attachment;

if test ! -d /proc/scsi/; then
echo "Error: SCSI subsystem not active"
exit 1
fi

:-)

Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.

by Kurt Garloff

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 02:44:05PM +0000, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 January 2006 13:51, Kurt Garloff wrote:
> > Attached for reference.
>
> From the attachment;
>
> if test ! -d /proc/scsi/; then
> echo "Error: SCSI subsystem not active"
> exit 1
> fi

SOme work remains to be done :-)

Best,
--
Kurt Garloff, Head Architect, Director SUSE Labs (act.), Novell Inc.

Attachments:
(No filename) (397.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)
Download all attachments