2008-01-22 08:01:20

by Francis Moreau

Subject: Linux and remote control device

Hello,

I'd like to add support for my Infrared remote control to Linux.

So far I only see LIRCD project that make the kernel support
such device but I'm not sure if this project is the best choice
since it's not part of mainline kernels. And there are certainly
good reasons which I'm not aware of.

Another possibility is to make the remote controle device an input
device. But I see several flaws:

- The IR receiver on my board can't be use as a transmitter any
more
- All scancodes are embedded in the kernel.

Do you think it's still the way to go despite the 2 points raised above ?

Thanks !
--
Francis

2008-01-22 08:53:11

by Vojtech Pavlik

Subject: Re: Linux and remote control device

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 09:01:10AM +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to add support for my Infrared remote control to Linux.
>
> So far I only see LIRCD project that make the kernel support
> such device but I'm not sure if this project is the best choice
> since it's not part of mainline kernels. And there are certainly
> good reasons which I'm not aware of.
>
> Another possibility is to make the remote controle device an input
> device. But I see several flaws:
>
> - The IR receiver on my board can't be use as a transmitter any
> more

The input subsystem moves events in both directions. It would need some
additional hacking to work with IR transmitters, but it might be
possible.

> - All scancodes are embedded in the kernel.

While they reside in the kernel, they can be changed from userspace.

> Do you think it's still the way to go despite the 2 points raised above ?

It might be, but I'm not 100% convinced either.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
Director SuSE Labs

2008-01-22 09:47:33

by Francis Moreau

On Jan 22, 2008 9:19 AM, Vojtech Pavlik <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 09:01:10AM +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to add support for my Infrared remote control to Linux.
> >
> > So far I only see LIRCD project that make the kernel support
> > such device but I'm not sure if this project is the best choice
> > since it's not part of mainline kernels. And there are certainly
> > good reasons which I'm not aware of.
> >
> > Another possibility is to make the remote controle device an input
> > device. But I see several flaws:
> >
> > - The IR receiver on my board can't be use as a transmitter any
> > more
>
> The input subsystem moves events in both directions. It would need some
> additional hacking to work with IR transmitters, but it might be
> possible.
>
> > - All scancodes are embedded in the kernel.
>
> While they reside in the kernel, they can be changed from userspace.
>
> > Do you think it's still the way to go despite the 2 points raised above ?
>
> It might be, but I'm not 100% convinced either.

All your answers sound good however.

Could you please tell me why you're not sure ?

--
Francis

2008-01-22 10:14:33

by Vojtech Pavlik

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:47:22AM +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008 9:19 AM, Vojtech Pavlik <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 09:01:10AM +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'd like to add support for my Infrared remote control to Linux.
> > >
> > > So far I only see LIRCD project that make the kernel support
> > > such device but I'm not sure if this project is the best choice
> > > since it's not part of mainline kernels. And there are certainly
> > > good reasons which I'm not aware of.
> > >
> > > Another possibility is to make the remote controle device an input
> > > device. But I see several flaws:
> > >
> > > - The IR receiver on my board can't be use as a transmitter any
> > > more
> >
> > The input subsystem moves events in both directions. It would need some
> > additional hacking to work with IR transmitters, but it might be
> > possible.
> >
> > > - All scancodes are embedded in the kernel.
> >
> > While they reside in the kernel, they can be changed from userspace.
> >
> > > Do you think it's still the way to go despite the 2 points raised above ?
> >
> > It might be, but I'm not 100% convinced either.
> >

> All your answers sound good however.
>
> Could you please tell me why you're not sure ?

It would still limit the IR ability to sending/receiving "just"
keypresses. You may want to send and receive more (arbitrary data) over
an IR dongle attached to the machine.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
Director SuSE Labs

2008-01-22 10:21:08

by Francis Moreau

On Jan 22, 2008 11:14 AM, Vojtech Pavlik <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:47:22AM +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:

> > > The input subsystem moves events in both directions. It would need some
> > > additional hacking to work with IR transmitters, but it might be
> > > possible.

> > > While they reside in the kernel, they can be changed from userspace.

> > > It might be, but I'm not 100% convinced either.
> > >

> > All your answers sound good however.
> >
> > Could you please tell me why you're not sure ?
>
> It would still limit the IR ability to sending/receiving "just"
> keypresses. You may want to send and receive more (arbitrary data) over
> an IR dongle attached to the machine.

Don't know about such devices. The device I actually have, an infrared
remote control, seems simple enough to use the input device model. I
have a wheel on it but I think I can make it work too...

Thanks
--
Francis

2008-01-22 10:43:56

by Vojtech Pavlik

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 11:20:53AM +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:

> > It would still limit the IR ability to sending/receiving "just"
> > keypresses. You may want to send and receive more (arbitrary data) over
> > an IR dongle attached to the machine.
>
> Don't know about such devices. The device I actually have, an infrared
> remote control, seems simple enough to use the input device model. I
> have a wheel on it but I think I can make it work too...

Yes, wheel isn't a problem. I should have said 'input events'.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
Director SuSE Labs

2008-01-22 15:00:30

by Lennart Sorensen

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 11:20:53AM +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:
> Don't know about such devices. The device I actually have, an infrared
> remote control, seems simple enough to use the input device model. I
> have a wheel on it but I think I can make it work too...

My IR receiver and remote also do mouse events. The Imon Pad.

So yes such devices exist.

--
Len Sorensen

2008-01-22 19:32:55

by Chuck Ebbert

On 01/22/2008 03:01 AM, Francis Moreau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to add support for my Infrared remote control to Linux.
>
> So far I only see LIRCD project that make the kernel support
> such device but I'm not sure if this project is the best choice
> since it's not part of mainline kernels. And there are certainly
> good reasons which I'm not aware of.

lirc is being worked on and is nearly ready for upstream submission.

2008-01-22 20:01:40

by Francis Moreau

On Jan 22, 2008 8:32 PM, Chuck Ebbert <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 01/22/2008 03:01 AM, Francis Moreau wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to add support for my Infrared remote control to Linux.
> >
> > So far I only see LIRCD project that make the kernel support
> > such device but I'm not sure if this project is the best choice
> > since it's not part of mainline kernels. And there are certainly
> > good reasons which I'm not aware of.
> >

> lirc is being worked on and is nearly ready for upstream submission.

Really ?

I'm wondering why lirc doesn't use the input subsystem, do you have any ideas ?

--
Francis