2009-01-15 09:10:39

by MartinG

Subject: Suspend/resume works in 2.6.29-0.19.rc0.git9.fc11.i686, but fails in later versions

Hi, I run Fedora Rawhide on a Dell Latitude X1 and want to report on
failing suspend/resume on the latest kernel snapshots.
Smolt is currently not working in Rawhide, but an old profile of my
laptop can be found in [1]

In kernel-2.6.29-0.19.rc0.git9.fc11.i686 I have suspend(to ram)/resume
working, but in later versions, I am not able to get my laptop to
resume. I have tested these later kernels:
kernel-2.6.29-0.24.rc0.git13.fc11.i686
kernel-2.6.29-0.25.rc0.git14.fc11.i686
kernel-2.6.29-0.28.rc1.fc11.i686
kernel-2.6.29-0.31.rc1.git2.fc11.i686
kernel-2.6.29-0.35.rc1.git4.fc11.i686

None of them seems to let me wake up from suspend to ram.
I have used normal kwin (no desktop effects, no compiz).
When I open the lid, my wlan led lights up, but there is no hdd
activity, and the keyboard is dead.

Here's dmesg of the working kernel http://fpaste.org/paste/1459

Please let me know how I can test further and what logs to provide.

best regards,
MartinG
(please CC me on replies)

[1] http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_01507560-2bed-4c14-94a5-c72964bb4b84

2009-01-16 08:53:37

by Pavel Machek

> Hi, I run Fedora Rawhide on a Dell Latitude X1 and want to report on
> failing suspend/resume on the latest kernel snapshots.
> Smolt is currently not working in Rawhide, but an old profile of my
> laptop can be found in [1]
>
> In kernel-2.6.29-0.19.rc0.git9.fc11.i686 I have suspend(to ram)/resume
> working, but in later versions, I am not able to get my laptop to
> resume. I have tested these later kernels:
> kernel-2.6.29-0.24.rc0.git13.fc11.i686
> kernel-2.6.29-0.25.rc0.git14.fc11.i686
> kernel-2.6.29-0.28.rc1.fc11.i686
> kernel-2.6.29-0.31.rc1.git2.fc11.i686
> kernel-2.6.29-0.35.rc1.git4.fc11.i686
>
> None of them seems to let me wake up from suspend to ram.
> I have used normal kwin (no desktop effects, no compiz).
> When I open the lid, my wlan led lights up, but there is no hdd
> activity, and the keyboard is dead.
>
> Here's dmesg of the working kernel http://fpaste.org/paste/1459
>
> Please let me know how I can test further and what logs to provide.

Can you boot non-working kernel, and try "cd /sys/devices/system/cpu;
echo 0 > cpu1/online; echo 1 > cpu1/online" ?

If it breaks, try just doing "echo 0 > online" followed by s2ram. That
should work.
Pavel

by MartinG

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Pavel Machek <[email protected]> wrote:
> Can you boot non-working kernel, and try "cd /sys/devices/system/cpu;
> echo 0 > cpu1/online; echo 1 > cpu1/online" ?
>
> If it breaks, try just doing "echo 0 > online" followed by s2ram. That
> should work.

Ok, thanks for the reply. This is what I've tried (I have a single
core (old) cpu):
# uname -r
2.6.29-0.35.rc1.git4.fc11.i686
# cd /sys/devices/system/cpu
# find .|grep online
./online
# cat online
0
# echo 0 > online; echo 1 > online
-bash: online: Permission denied
-bash: online: Permission denied
# chmod +rw online
# echo 0 > online; echo 1 > online
-bash: echo: write error: Input/output error
-bash: echo: write error: Input/output error

Yep, I am a bit confused - any hints appreciated!

-MartinG

2009-01-19 19:17:36

by Pavel Machek

On Fri 2009-01-16 23:43:08, MartinG wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Pavel Machek <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Can you boot non-working kernel, and try "cd /sys/devices/system/cpu;
> > echo 0 > cpu1/online; echo 1 > cpu1/online" ?
> >
> > If it breaks, try just doing "echo 0 > online" followed by s2ram. That
> > should work.
>
> Ok, thanks for the reply. This is what I've tried (I have a single
> core (old) cpu):
> # uname -r
> 2.6.29-0.35.rc1.git4.fc11.i686
> # cd /sys/devices/system/cpu
> # find .|grep online
> ./online
> # cat online
> 0
> # echo 0 > online; echo 1 > online
> -bash: online: Permission denied
> -bash: online: Permission denied
> # chmod +rw online
> # echo 0 > online; echo 1 > online
> -bash: echo: write error: Input/output error
> -bash: echo: write error: Input/output error
>
> Yep, I am a bit confused - any hints appreciated!

Ok, that is not going to work on single core. Can you try if
suspending works in init=/bin/bash mode?

by MartinG

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Pavel Machek <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ok, that is not going to work on single core. Can you try if
> suspending works in init=/bin/bash mode?

Hi, I forgot to mention that I'm running on a crypted disk. So
"init=/bin/bash" fails. But I booted kernel-2.6.29-0.41.rc2.fc11.i686
using "1" as a kernel parameter, and put the laptop to suspend by
# echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

But still, I was not able to resume it - black screen, keyboard dead.

Could it be related to my disk encryption? I though "everybody"
encrypted their laptop these days?
I set it up during installation (full disk encryption, I get prompted
for passphrase as the first thing during boot).

This is my layout:
# df -h
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
12G 7,5G 4,5G 63% /
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02
14G 12G 1,6G 88% /home
/dev/sda1 190M 51M 130M 29% /boot
tmpfs 614M 76K 614M 1% /dev/shm

# mount
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)

I'd be happy to test further - please let me know what info I can provide.
Thanks.

-MartinG

2009-01-27 09:15:16

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > Ok, that is not going to work on single core. Can you try if
> > suspending works in init=/bin/bash mode?
>
> Hi, I forgot to mention that I'm running on a crypted disk. So
> "init=/bin/bash" fails. But I booted kernel-2.6.29-0.41.rc2.fc11.i686
> using "1" as a kernel parameter, and put the laptop to suspend by
> # echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

Hmm, ok.

> But still, I was not able to resume it - black screen, keyboard dead.
>
> Could it be related to my disk encryption? I though "everybody"
> encrypted their laptop these days?

Not me...

> I'd be happy to test further - please let me know what info I can provide.
> Thanks.

Well, git bisect is always an option...? Or getting disk encryption
out of place? Trying minimal config?
Pavel