2017-07-20 06:42:14

by Michał Kępień

Subject: Re: Kernel error messages: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an LED's brightness failed

> Hello,

Hi! Thank you for the report and sorry about the delay, but I have been
at a conference for the past week, having way less spare time than I
wish I had.

> I found your mail address in https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8598801/
> and it seems you are somehow involved in the improvement for
> fujitsu-laptop LED handling. If this does not 'belong' to you, maybe you
> can point me in the right direction where to report the issue.

No worries, that is fine, though I have CCed Jonathan Woithe, who is the
maintainer of fujitsu-laptop, and both the platform-driver-x86 mailing
list and LKML (both are open lists).

> So let's start explaining.
> I am the proud owner of a Fujitsu Lifebook E 751 (DMI: FUJITSU LIFEBOOK
> E751/FJNB222, BIOS Version 1.22 04/19/2013) which is equipped with some
> LEDs in the body (11 to be clear).

A photo would be useful (though please do not attach it to your message,
provide a link to it instead) so that we know exactly what we are
discussing; image search engines can sometimes come up with confusing
results when looking for a specific model. Is this what your laptop
looks like?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/Fujitsu-LB-E751-Tastatur_1j.jpg

I also found an alleged photo of an E781, which apparently is a very
similar model:

https://www.notebookcheck.com/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_Fujitsu_lifebook_E781_Tastatur_67df789f2a.jpg

Are these the 11 LEDs you mentioned?

- top, left: E, HDD, Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock,
- top, right: I, Power Button,
- front (not pictured in the first photo above): Power Supply, Battery
Charging, Battery 1, Battery 2.

> I am using archlinux and as of kernel
> 4.11 (IIRC) there has appeared an error message in the journalctl log
> saying:
>
> kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an LED's brightness failed
> (-2147483648)
>
> This appears for several times:
>
> harvey@gruenix ~/Documents/scripts $ sudo journalctl -b | grep radio_led
> 725:Jul 14 12:29:37 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 761:Jul 14 12:29:37 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 762:Jul 14 12:29:37 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 788:Jul 14 12:29:38 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 796:Jul 14 12:29:38 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 799:Jul 14 12:29:38 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 887:Jul 14 12:29:45 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 979:Jul 14 12:29:45 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 981:Jul 14 12:29:45 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 987:Jul 14 12:29:45 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 988:Jul 14 12:29:45 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 1009:Jul 14 12:29:45 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 1010:Jul 14 12:29:45 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 1036:Jul 14 12:29:46 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 1037:Jul 14 12:29:46 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 1776:Jul 14 12:33:48 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 1777:Jul 14 12:33:48 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 1779:Jul 14 12:33:48 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 1781:Jul 14 12:33:48 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> 1783:Jul 14 12:33:48 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)

4.11 included a patch which sets the default trigger for the radio LED
to rfkill-any, which would explain why you only started seeing these
errors after upgrading to that version. See also below.

> Some of the LEDs are not working under linux, especially the bluetooth
> one

Where is the Bluetooth LED located? I cannot see it. Can you show it
on a photo? How does it behave under other operating systems?

> and three others E,

According to a manual I found [1], this is an "Energy saving functions
indicator", which is lit when "energy function are enabled". My guess
would be it can be repurposed under Linux.

> I(nformation)

According to the same manual, this LED signals battery level when the
laptop is off (S5 state) and the "I" key is pressed. Not sure it can be
repurposed, but how does it behave under other operating systems?

> and one that shows the sign of a
> lock with up and down arrows in it.

That is Scroll Lock. I do not think fujitsu-laptop has anything to do
with it. If it does not work the way you expect it to, you might want
to search the web, because there are known inconsistencies in how
various distributions handle it.

> The case is equipped with a slider
> for Wireless on/off, if that matters.

It does, see also below.

> Although the message seems to be harmless I am somewhat embarrassed what
> happens here and thought I might report it to someone with more knowledge ;)

Again, thank you for the report, because implementing a feature like
this in a platform driver often requires at least some guesswork, which
may result in that feature working for some users and misbehaving for
others. This is an example of such a situation.

As you may have inferred from the patchwork link you visited, I was not
sure whether my method of detecting radio LED presence was correct.
Your report clearly proves I was wrong. Could you please send me the
BTNI value reported on your laptop? You should be able to look it up by
running:

$ dmesg | grep BTNI

In fact, posting your entire dmesg output somewhere would not hurt
either.

Anyway, you were curious what causes these log messages to appear. I
believe it happens because fujitsu-laptop _thinks_ you have a radio LED
present on your machine, which causes it to register this LED with a
default trigger set to rfkill-any. This means the kernel tries to
enable this LED whenever any radio transmitter is active and disable it
when all radio transmissions are disabled. In order to set the state of
the LED, the kernel driver calls a function exposed by the firmware.
This function returns an error, which is logged. The specific error
number you are seeing (-2147483648) means "unsupported command", which
means fujitsu-laptop attempted to use a feature which is unsupported by
your laptop's firmware. If you want to get rid of these messages,
running the following after every reboot should be enough:

# echo "none" > /sys/class/leds/fujitsu::radio_led/trigger

However, I would appreciate it if you could help us with finding out the
correct way to detect the radio LED (it may as well turn out it is not
possible by just checking firmware contents). For starters, we will
need your laptop's DSDT table, which you can extract using:

# cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT > dsdt.bin

The resulting binary file dsdt.bin is what is needed for further
analysis.

[1] http://www.lpmanual.com/manuals/fujitsu/Fujitsu_LIFEBOOK_E751.pdf

--
Best regards,
Michał Kępień

2017-07-23 06:14:46

by Jonathan Woithe

Hi Michal

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 08:42:57AM +0200, Micha?? K??pie?? wrote:
> > I found your mail address in https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8598801/
> > and it seems you are somehow involved in the improvement for
> > fujitsu-laptop LED handling. If this does not 'belong' to you, maybe you
> > can point me in the right direction where to report the issue.
>
> No worries, that is fine, though I have CCed Jonathan Woithe, who is the
> maintainer of fujitsu-laptop, and both the platform-driver-x86 mailing
> list and LKML (both are open lists).

This is mainly to acknowledge that I have read this email. Since my Fujitsu
does not have any LEDs I do not have any direct experience with their use
within the driver. The existing LED code was contributed by others and
recently modified by Michal's patches as part of a broader tidy up of the
driver. I'm more than happy for Michal to take the lead in investigating
this since I think he has a Fujitsu with LEDs.

> > I am using archlinux and as of kernel
> > 4.11 (IIRC) there has appeared an error message in the journalctl log
> > saying:
> >
> > kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an LED's brightness failed
> > (-2147483648)
> >
> > This appears for several times:
> >
> > harvey@gruenix ~/Documents/scripts $ sudo journalctl -b | grep radio_led
> > 725:Jul 14 12:29:37 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
> > LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
> :
> 4.11 included a patch which sets the default trigger for the radio LED
> to rfkill-any, which would explain why you only started seeing these
> errors after upgrading to that version. See also below.
>
> > Some of the LEDs are not working under linux, especially the bluetooth
> > one
>
> Where is the Bluetooth LED located? I cannot see it. Can you show it
> on a photo? How does it behave under other operating systems?

Also, how did these LEDs behave under earlier Linux kernel versions? In
other words, is the non-functionality of these LEDs a regression in 4.11, or
have they never worked on your laptop?

Regards
jonathan

2017-07-25 12:15:07

by Harvey

Michał, Jonathan,

just a short note: I am currently on vacation in Spain. I have my laptop
with me and will report back as soon as I find the time. I will try to
help in any way that I can. I want my laptop to be as functional as
possible with linux.

Greetings
Harvey

Am 20.07.2017 um 08:42 schrieb Michał Kępień:
> [...]
> the LED, the kernel driver calls a function exposed by the firmware.
> This function returns an error, which is logged. The specific error
> number you are seeing (-2147483648) means "unsupported command", which
> means fujitsu-laptop attempted to use a feature which is unsupported by
> your laptop's firmware. If you want to get rid of these messages,
> running the following after every reboot should be enough:
>
> # echo "none" > /sys/class/leds/fujitsu::radio_led/trigger
>
> However, I would appreciate it if you could help us with finding out the
> correct way to detect the radio LED (it may as well turn out it is not
> possible by just checking firmware contents). For starters, we will
> need your laptop's DSDT table, which you can extract using:
>
> # cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT > dsdt.bin
>
> The resulting binary file dsdt.bin is what is needed for further

I am root. If you see me laughing, you'd better have a backup!

Attachments:
signature.asc (195.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2017-08-01 07:53:20

by Harvey

Hi Michał,

> A photo would be useful (though please do not attach it to your message,

> https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/Fujitsu-LB-E751-Tastatur_1j.jpg

That is exactly my laptop (well, except for those ugly windows badges ;))

To be completely sure I have taken two photos and posted them here:
http://picpaste.com/IMG_20170720_125716-RazF0yQa.jpg
http://picpaste.com/IMG_20170720_125736-zdpEGoHR.jpg
Beware, the photos will only stay online for seven days.

> Are these the 11 LEDs you mentioned?
>
> - top, left: E, HDD, Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock,
> - top, right: I, Power Button,
> - front (not pictured in the first photo above): Power Supply, Battery
> Charging, Battery 1, Battery 2.

Yes, these are the LEDs in question

>> 1783:Jul 14 12:33:48 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
>> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
>
> 4.11 included a patch which sets the default trigger for the radio LED
> to rfkill-any, which would explain why you only started seeing these
> errors after upgrading to that version. See also below.
>
>> Some of the LEDs are not working under linux, especially the bluetooth
>> one
>
> Where is the Bluetooth LED located? I cannot see it. Can you show it
> on a photo? How does it behave under other operating systems?

Well, IIRC the one in the I(nformation) key was acting as a bluetooth
LED. I have another Harddisk with a working Win7 Installation which I
will mount and report back later when I have the time.

>> and three others E,
>
> According to a manual I found [1], this is an "Energy saving functions
> indicator", which is lit when "energy function are enabled". My guess
> would be it can be repurposed under Linux.

Correct. Would be nice to reuse it in one way or another under linux

>> I(nformation)
>
> According to the same manual, this LED signals battery level when the
> laptop is off (S5 state) and the "I" key is pressed. Not sure it can be
> repurposed, but how does it behave under other operating systems?

See above. Will report this later when I changed harddisks. Under linux
it does nothing. When suspended the three LEDs (1)Power (beneath the
power button) (2)Power beneath the wireless slider (both blue) and
(3)Battery2 are blinking.

>> and one that shows the sign of a
>> lock with up and down arrows in it.
>
> That is Scroll Lock. I do not think fujitsu-laptop has anything to do
> with it. If it does not work the way you expect it to, you might want
> to search the web, because there are known inconsistencies in how
> various distributions handle it.

Scroll lock works as expected. KDE had taken scroll lock due to a
configuration I had forgotten. <Blush>

>> The case is equipped with a slider
>> for Wireless on/off, if that matters.
>
> It does, see also below.
>
>> Although the message seems to be harmless I am somewhat embarrassed what
>> happens here and thought I might report it to someone with more knowledge ;)
>
> Again, thank you for the report, because implementing a feature like
> this in a platform driver often requires at least some guesswork, which
> may result in that feature working for some users and misbehaving for
> others. This is an example of such a situation.
>
> As you may have inferred from the patchwork link you visited, I was not
> sure whether my method of detecting radio LED presence was correct.
> Your report clearly proves I was wrong. Could you please send me the
> BTNI value reported on your laptop? You should be able to look it up by
> running:
>
> $ dmesg | grep BTNI

682:[ 12.189363] fujitsu_laptop: BTNI: [0x10f0101]

http://pasted.co/ce997722

> Anyway, you were curious what causes these log messages to appear. I
> believe it happens because fujitsu-laptop _thinks_ you have a radio LED
> present on your machine, which causes it to register this LED with a
> default trigger set to rfkill-any. This means the kernel tries to
> enable this LED whenever any radio transmitter is active and disable it
> when all radio transmissions are disabled. In order to set the state of
> the LED, the kernel driver calls a function exposed by the firmware.
> This function returns an error, which is logged. The specific error
> number you are seeing (-2147483648) means "unsupported command", which
> means fujitsu-laptop attempted to use a feature which is unsupported by
> your laptop's firmware. If you want to get rid of these messages,
> running the following after every reboot should be enough:
>
> # echo "none" > /sys/class/leds/fujitsu::radio_led/trigger
>
> However, I would appreciate it if you could help us with finding out the
> correct way to detect the radio LED (it may as well turn out it is not
> possible by just checking firmware contents). For starters, we will
> need your laptop's DSDT table, which you can extract using:
>
> # cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT > dsdt.bin
>
> The resulting binary file dsdt.bin is what is needed for further
> analysis.

See attachded file

> [1] http://www.lpmanual.com/manuals/fujitsu/Fujitsu_LIFEBOOK_E751.pdf

Conclusion: Only the LED I(nformation) and E(mpowering) LEDs are not
working at all.

Glad to help further on. Don't hesitate to contact me. As said before I
am in Spain right now but will frequently check my mail though.

Greetings
Harvey

--
I am root. If you see me laughing, you'd better have a backup!

Attachments:
dsdt.bin (35.82 kB)
signature.asc (195.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

by Harvey

Hi Michał,

Now I had the time to change the harddisk in my laptop to the Win7 one
(It's 35 degrees out there - nice excuse to stay inside ;))

What I found out:
Neither the E nor the I LED work under Windows in my configuration.
There is no Bluetooth LED (maybe because there is a combined
WLAN/Bluetooth adapter used in the laptop?). There is only a Bluetooth
Icon in the taskbar to indicate Bluetooth status.

Pressing the E button brings up some kind of Energy saving applet and
pressing the I button brings up an applet telling me about the hardware
in my laptop and its current state.

Please tell me if I can provide more Information.

Greetings
Harvey

--
I am root. If you see me laughing, you'd better have a backup!

Attachments:
dsdt.bin (35.82 kB)
signature.asc (195.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

by Michał Kępień

> Hi Michał,

Hi Harvey,

Thank you for providing us with further information.

> Now I had the time to change the harddisk in my laptop to the Win7 one
> (It's 35 degrees out there - nice excuse to stay inside ;))
>
> What I found out:
> Neither the E nor the I LED work under Windows in my configuration.
> There is no Bluetooth LED (maybe because there is a combined
> WLAN/Bluetooth adapter used in the laptop?). There is only a Bluetooth
> Icon in the taskbar to indicate Bluetooth status.

Okay, this seems to be consistent with the manual I linked to in my

> Pressing the E button brings up some kind of Energy saving applet and
> pressing the I button brings up an applet telling me about the hardware
> in my laptop and its current state.

These hotkeys should already work fine under Linux, i.e. pressing them
should generate input events which you can assign to any action you
please. If they do not work for you, please let me know so that we can
debug further.

> Please tell me if I can provide more Information.

If I did not miss anything in your reports, there are two issues that
require some work:

- Fixing radio LED detection. I have an idea how to do this, but
please mind that I am quite busy lately and cannot guarantee any
specific time frame for submitting a patch.

- Investigating the E LED. This requires taking a look at the DSDT
dump from your laptop and searching for clues as to how this LED is
handled. I will be happy to do that, but again, no promises about
how much time it will take. (And given the nature of this task, I
cannot promise I will find anything reasonable at all. I also might
ask you to do some further experiments as I do not have an E751
myself.)

--
Best regards,
Michał Kępień

2017-08-04 08:55:24

by Harvey

Hi Michał,

> Thank you for providing us with further information.

Again, glad to help where I can.

>> Pressing the E button brings up some kind of Energy saving applet and
>> pressing the I button brings up an applet telling me about the hardware
>> in my laptop and its current state.
>
> These hotkeys should already work fine under Linux

Yes, they do. I already redefined them as shortcuts to start some useful
programs.

> If I did not miss anything in your reports, there are two issues that
> require some work:
>
> - Fixing radio LED detection. I have an idea how to do this, but
> please mind that I am quite busy lately and cannot guarantee any
> specific time frame for submitting a patch.
>
> - Investigating the E LED. This requires taking a look at the DSDT
> dump from your laptop and searching for clues as to how this LED is
> handled. I will be happy to do that, but again, no promises about
> how much time it will take. (And given the nature of this task, I
> cannot promise I will find anything reasonable at all. I also might
> ask you to do some further experiments as I do not have an E751
> myself.)

Don't forget to take a look at the I LED... And concerning time. it is
ready when it's ready ;)

I will be happy to help and test anything that is required. Just send me
a note what needs to be done.

Greetings
Harvey