2021-03-28 09:15:35

by Lv Yunlong

Subject: [BUG] fs/notify/mark: A potential use after free in fsnotify_put_mark_wake

Hi,
My static analyzer tool reported a use after free in fsnotify_put_mark_wake
of the file: fs/notify/mark.c.

In fsnotify_put_mark_wake, it calls fsnotify_put_mark(mark). Inside the function
fsnotify_put_mark(), if conn is NULL, it will call fsnotify_final_mark_destroy(mark)
to free mark->group by fsnotify_put_group(group) and return. I also had inspected
the implementation of fsnotify_put_group() and found that there is no cleanup operation
about group->user_waits.

But after fsnotify_put_mark_wake() returned, mark->group is still used by
if (atomic_dec_and_test(&group->user_waits) && group->shutdown) and later.

Is this an issue?

Thanks.

2021-03-29 13:59:10

by Jan Kara

Hello!

On Sun 28-03-21 17:11:43, [email protected] wrote:
> My static analyzer tool reported a use after free in fsnotify_put_mark_wake
> of the file: fs/notify/mark.c.
>
> In fsnotify_put_mark_wake, it calls fsnotify_put_mark(mark). Inside the function
> fsnotify_put_mark(), if conn is NULL, it will call fsnotify_final_mark_destroy(mark)
> to free mark->group by fsnotify_put_group(group) and return. I also had inspected
> the implementation of fsnotify_put_group() and found that there is no cleanup operation
> about group->user_waits.
>
> But after fsnotify_put_mark_wake() returned, mark->group is still used by
> if (atomic_dec_and_test(&group->user_waits) && group->shutdown) and later.
>
> Is this an issue?

I don't think this scenario is possible. fsnotify_put_mark_wake() can be
called only for marks attached to objects and these have mark->conn !=
NULL and we are sure that fsnotify_destroy_group() will wait for all such
marks to be torn down and freed before dropping last group reference and
freeing the group.

Honza
--
Jan Kara <[email protected]>