1999-09-17 01:04:02

by Rich Bodo

Subject: PLX 9050 chip

Hi,

Does anyone on this list have experience with the PLX 9050 PCI bus
interface chip? I am having this strange problem when reading from
registers in a xilinx across the local bus. I can read pci config
registers, local config registers, and even the xilinx registes, until I
do a write to the xilinx. After that, I can no longer read from
anywhere on the local bus. I have implemented the PLX workarounds
mentioned in their FAQ and Errata. Looking at a scope, I can see that I
am reading and writing to the local bus, but I get squat back from the
plx for reads.

I also want to make sure I am not re-inventing the wheel. Grepping
through the kernel I found:

Some 9060 drivers
Lots of multi-port serial cards that use the 9050, are based on serial.c
and read their config from an eeprom.

I am working on a card that will use a lot of the features of the 9050,
including burst mode across the local bus. I also implement all the
workarounds in software and don't have an eeprom to work with, so I have
to do a little extra setup. There is a neat PLX supplied tool called
PLXmon that I am able to run under FreeDOS to get and set register
values, I am thinking of writing a linux version.

-Rich

--
OST - the open source telecom corporation
Rich Bodo | [email protected] | 650-964-4-OST

1999-09-17 02:40:23

by Benjamin LaHaise

Subject: Re: PLX 9050 chip

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Rich Bodo wrote:

> Does anyone on this list have experience with the PLX 9050 PCI bus
> interface chip? I am having this strange problem when reading from

I'd suggest calling PLX tech support -- they're actually helpful in
answering questions. From experience, I found that the PLX chips simply
have too many configuration registers that you must choose the correct
settings for, but once you get it right they work quite well.

-ben