2000-11-19 14:36:23

by Gianluca Anzolin

Subject: XMMS not working on 2.4.0-test11-pre7

it seems there has been a change in the format of the /proc/cpuinfo file: infact 'flags: ' became 'features: '

This change broke xmms and could broke any other program which relies on /proc/cpuinfo...

I hope the problem will be solved (in the kernel or in every other program which uses /proc/cpuinfo) soon...

Bye
Gianluca

2000-11-19 16:08:58

by Mohammad A. Haque

Subject: Re: XMMS not working on 2.4.0-test11-pre7

It's working fine here w/o modification. Maybe you need the latest
version or have somethinn enabled that I don't.

Gianluca Anzolin wrote:

> it seems there has been a change in the format of the /proc/cpuinfo file: infact 'flags: ' became 'features: '
>
> This change broke xmms and could broke any other program which relies on /proc/cpuinfo...
>
> I hope the problem will be solved (in the kernel or in every other program which uses /proc/cpuinfo) soon...
>
> Bye
> Gianluca
> -

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by David Ford

My guess is that it's a plugin, the source for xmms doesn't have "cpuinfo" anywhere in it.

-d

Gianluca Anzolin wrote:

> it seems there has been a change in the format of the /proc/cpuinfo file: infact 'flags: ' became 'features: '
>
> This change broke xmms and could broke any other program which relies on /proc/cpuinfo...
>
> I hope the problem will be solved (in the kernel or in every other program which uses /proc/cpuinfo) soon...

Attachments:
david.vcf (176.00 B)
Card for David Ford

2000-11-19 18:32:17

by James A Sutherland

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, David Ford wrote:

> My guess is that it's a plugin, the source for xmms doesn't have "cpuinfo" anywhere in it.
>
> -d
>
> Gianluca Anzolin wrote:
>
> > it seems there has been a change in the format of the /proc/cpuinfo file: infact 'flags: ' became 'features: '
> >
> > This change broke xmms and could broke any other program which relies on /proc/cpuinfo...
> >
> > I hope the problem will be solved (in the kernel or in every other program which uses /proc/cpuinfo) soon...

Are you using the 3Dnow input MP3 decoder plugin? This certainly attempts to
identify the CPU, so it can determine which decoder to use.

James.

2000-11-19 21:11:24

by J Sloan

Just a data point

I'm listening to mp3s now via xmms, running 2.4.0-test11-pre7

# uname -r -s
Linux 2.4.0-test11-pre7
# rpm -q xmms
xmms-1.2.3-0_helix_1

the "flags/features" switch doesn't seem to hurt it:

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 5
model : 8
model name : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
stepping : 12
cpu MHz : 451.000038
cache size : 64 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
features : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnow
k6_mtrr
bogomips : 901.12