2000-11-23 16:26:16

by Robert L Martin

Subject: "Hyper-Mount" option possible???

Not on list just throwing an idea out.
One thing that "bugs" me is if a given drive has more than one partion
each partion has to be mounted seperatly.
With CDs this also means you can not mount "split" cds in full if you
want to. Soo Given that Super-Mount is already taken, How about (in
2.5??) hashing out a Hypermount option.
The way it could work is if you mount a full drive say "hdd" and have
each partion mounted on a tree from the mount point
of the drive.

Robert L Martin
Just wishing i could mount the mac side of an AOL cd without mangling
mounting normal cds

2000-11-23 17:40:17

by H. Peter Anvin

By author: Robert L Martin <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Not on list just throwing an idea out.
> One thing that "bugs" me is if a given drive has more than one partion
> each partion has to be mounted seperatly.
> With CDs this also means you can not mount "split" cds in full if you
> want to. Soo Given that Super-Mount is already taken, How about (in
> 2.5??) hashing out a Hypermount option.
> The way it could work is if you mount a full drive say "hdd" and have
> each partion mounted on a tree from the mount point
> of the drive.

This sounds a lot like cdfs.

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt

2000-11-24 08:52:38

by Mark W. McClelland

Robert L Martin wrote:

> Not on list just throwing an idea out.
> One thing that "bugs" me is if a given drive has more than one partion
> each partion has to be mounted seperatly.
> With CDs this also means you can not mount "split" cds in full if you
> want to. Soo Given that Super-Mount is already taken, How about (in
> 2.5??) hashing out a Hypermount option.

This would also make it easier to mount media that only have one
partition. For example, some of my Zip disks have to be mounted as
"sdb", some as "sdb1", and some as "sdb4", depending on what OS
formatted it.

I think this might also be good for multisession CDs, though I'm not
really sure how they are currently handled.

> The way it could work is if you mount a full drive say "hdd" and have
> each partion mounted on a tree from the mount point
> of the drive.

This would require mount to check for a partition table first, since
"hdd" could either mean "hdd as a partitionless device" or "all devices
on hdd". This check could probably even be done in user space, along
with "hyper-mount". Maybe someone has done it already; I'll have to
check freshmeat :)

--
Mark McClelland

by Helge Hafting

"Mark W. McClelland" wrote:

> Robert L Martin wrote:
> >
> > Not on list just throwing an idea out.
> > One thing that "bugs" me is if a given drive has more than one partion
> > each partion has to be mounted seperatly.
> > With CDs this also means you can not mount "split" cds in full if you
> > want to. Soo Given that Super-Mount is already taken, How about (in
> > 2.5??) hashing out a Hypermount option.
>
> This would also make it easier to mount media that only have one
> partition. For example, some of my Zip disks have to be mounted as
> "sdb", some as "sdb1", and some as "sdb4", depending on what OS
> formatted it.
>
> I think this might also be good for multisession CDs, though I'm not
> really sure how they are currently handled.
>
> > The way it could work is if you mount a full drive say "hdd" and have
> > each partion mounted on a tree from the mount point
> > of the drive.
>
> This would require mount to check for a partition table first, since
> "hdd" could either mean "hdd as a partitionless device" or "all devices
> on hdd". This check could probably even be done in user space, along
> with "hyper-mount". Maybe someone has done it already; I'll have to
> check freshmeat :)

This looks like a job for a script. I.e. no kernel change necessary.

The script could go something like this:
1. User invokes with "hypermount sdb" in case of the sdb device
2. The script creates a /mnt/sdb directory
3. The script creates a /mnt/sdb/sdb<n> directory for
each sdb1, sdb2,... found in /dev
4. /dev/sdb1 is then mounted on /mnt/sdb/sdb1 and so on.

You may also want some checks that the device isn't mounted already,
remove subdirectories that didn't mount (error return from the "mount"
command)

A "hyper-umount sdb" would simply umount every directory under /mnt/sdb/

This isn't really a kernel issue, you may want to discuss this with
distribution
maintainers instead.

Helge Hafting

2000-11-25 21:02:07

by Timur Tabi

** Reply to message from Robert L Martin <[email protected]> on Thu,
23 Nov 2000 10:55:38 -0500

> Soo Given that Super-Mount is already taken, How about (in
> 2.5??) hashing out a Hypermount option.

How about calling it "multi-mount"? I think it's more accurate.

--
Timur Tabi - [email protected]
Interactive Silicon - http://www.interactivesi.com