2000-11-25 07:09:34

by Jeff V. Merkey

Subject: setting up pppd dial-in on linux

Anyone out there a whiz at setting up a pppd dialin server? I am
trying to put together an RPM for pppd dialin configurations
that will support default Windows NT and Linux dial in clients
without requiring the poor user to learn bash scripting, chat
scripting, mgetty and inittab configuration, etc. The steps
in setting this up are about as easy as going on a U.N. relief
mission to equatorial Africa, and most customers who are
"mere mortals" would give up about an hour into it.

I am seeing massive problems with pppd dial-in and IP/IPX
routing with problems that range from constant Oops, to
the bug infested pppd daemon failing valid MD5 chap
authentication. The HOW-TO's and man pages provide
wonderful commentary on all the things about pppd
that don't work, but it's not too helpful on getting
it to work reliably. An NT dial-in server takes about
5 minutes to configure on W2K. Linux takes about 2 days, and
won't stay up reliably.

Who out there is an expert on Linux pppd that would like
to help put together some easy configs for standard
dial-in scenarios?

Thanks

Jeff

2000-11-25 08:18:42

by J Sloan

Subject: Re: setting up pppd dial-in on linux

"Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> Anyone out there a whiz at setting up a pppd dialin server? I am
> trying to put together an RPM for pppd dialin configurations
> that will support default Windows NT and Linux dial in clients
> without requiring the poor user to learn bash scripting, chat
> scripting, mgetty and inittab configuration, etc. The steps
> in setting this up are about as easy as going on a U.N. relief
> mission to equatorial Africa, and most customers who are
> "mere mortals" would give up about an hour into it.

Red Hat's ppp client setup is about a 90 second job

> I am seeing massive problems with pppd dial-in and IP/IPX
> routing with problems that range from constant Oops, to
> the bug infested pppd daemon failing valid MD5 chap
> authentication. The HOW-TO's and man pages provide
> wonderful commentary on all the things about pppd
> that don't work, but it's not too helpful on getting
> it to work reliably. An NT dial-in server takes about
> 5 minutes to configure on W2K. Linux takes about 2 days, and
> won't stay up reliably.

hmm, an awful lot of ISPs use Linux dialup servers...

I set up a linux ppp server back in 1996 - things might have
changed, but it seemed fairly straightforward at the time -

can't imagine it's gotten worse since then...

> Who out there is an expert on Linux pppd that would like
> to help put together some easy configs for standard
> dial-in scenarios?

Crunch time for me right now, finals coming right up...

I'll bet there's quite a few ISP-savvy admins who could
lend a hand though -

jjs

2000-11-25 14:00:35

by Pedro M. Rodrigues

You are not alone. And the problem gets even worse when you
have to deal with ISDN devices. In my company?s data room we
have all Linux servers running 365 days a year (minus upgrade
time) and in one corner a lonely Windows NT Server 3.0 with 5
Client Access Licenses working as a RAS server for 2 Diva Server
BRI cards (4 analog/digital channels) plus one analog modem.
Time to set it up? Half an hour counting NT installation. Time i lost
investigating and trying different configurations, dealing with
contradictory documentation, chat scripts, different ipppd versions,
and authentication failures? 2 days. At Ieast i cant complain about
pppd oops, as you do, the pppd in RH6.2 seemed solid. The
document of reference that seemed more interesting to me at the
time was http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/pers.html , have a look
please.

Regards,
Pedro

On 25 Nov 2000, at 0:36, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> Anyone out there a whiz at setting up a pppd dialin server? I am
> trying to put together an RPM for pppd dialin configurations
> that will support default Windows NT and Linux dial in clients
> without requiring the poor user to learn bash scripting, chat
> scripting, mgetty and inittab configuration, etc. The steps
> in setting this up are about as easy as going on a U.N. relief
> mission to equatorial Africa, and most customers who are
> "mere mortals" would give up about an hour into it.
>
> I am seeing massive problems with pppd dial-in and IP/IPX
> routing with problems that range from constant Oops, to
> the bug infested pppd daemon failing valid MD5 chap
> authentication. The HOW-TO's and man pages provide
> wonderful commentary on all the things about pppd
> that don't work, but it's not too helpful on getting
> it to work reliably. An NT dial-in server takes about
> 5 minutes to configure on W2K. Linux takes about 2 days, and
> won't stay up reliably.
>
> Who out there is an expert on Linux pppd that would like
> to help put together some easy configs for standard
> dial-in scenarios?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff
>

> -

by That Linux Guy

Jeff,
I am also VERY interested in this, particularly on getting modems to work
with Linux at all. I'm not reading the list right now, but I'd appreciate
any feedback you can throw my way on this. Esp. if you DO get it setup and
working. It sure would be nice to see Linux FINALLY support more modems out
there. Hell, my Internal USR ISA modem is not even supported, but FreeBSD
had had support for it for a long time now. :-( Please let me know what
you find out, and I'm VERY interested in your RPM - hope there will be a
straight tarball for us Slackware Dinosaurs too. :-)

Scott

> Anyone out there a whiz at setting up a pppd dialin server? I am
> trying to put together an RPM for pppd dialin configurations
> that will support default Windows NT and Linux dial in clients
> without requiring the poor user to learn bash scripting, chat
> scripting, mgetty and inittab configuration, etc. The steps
> in setting this up are about as easy as going on a U.N. relief
> mission to equatorial Africa, and most customers who are
> "mere mortals" would give up about an hour into it.
>
> I am seeing massive problems with pppd dial-in and IP/IPX
> routing with problems that range from constant Oops, to
> the bug infested pppd daemon failing valid MD5 chap
> authentication. The HOW-TO's and man pages provide
> wonderful commentary on all the things about pppd
> that don't work, but it's not too helpful on getting
> it to work reliably. An NT dial-in server takes about
> 5 minutes to configure on W2K. Linux takes about 2 days, and
> won't stay up reliably.
>
> Who out there is an expert on Linux pppd that would like
> to help put together some easy configs for standard
> dial-in scenarios?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff
>

> -

by Jeff V. Merkey

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 11:48:06PM -0800, J Sloan wrote:
> "Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:
>
> > Anyone out there a whiz at setting up a pppd dialin server? I am
> > trying to put together an RPM for pppd dialin configurations
> > that will support default Windows NT and Linux dial in clients
> > without requiring the poor user to learn bash scripting, chat
> > scripting, mgetty and inittab configuration, etc. The steps
> > in setting this up are about as easy as going on a U.N. relief
> > mission to equatorial Africa, and most customers who are
> > "mere mortals" would give up about an hour into it.
>
> Red Hat's ppp client setup is about a 90 second job

I am using theirs as a base. Setup's not the issue. It's the
chap MD5 authentication for NT clients and the constant
crashing that's troublesome. I have it working, just not
with NT clients.

> > I am seeing massive problems with pppd dial-in and IP/IPX
> > routing with problems that range from constant Oops, to
> > the bug infested pppd daemon failing valid MD5 chap
> > authentication. The HOW-TO's and man pages provide
> > wonderful commentary on all the things about pppd
> > that don't work, but it's not too helpful on getting
> > it to work reliably. An NT dial-in server takes about
> > 5 minutes to configure on W2K. Linux takes about 2 days, and
> > won't stay up reliably.
>
> hmm, an awful lot of ISPs use Linux dialup servers...
>
> I set up a linux ppp server back in 1996 - things might have
> changed, but it seemed fairly straightforward at the time -
>
> can't imagine it's gotten worse since then...
>
> > Who out there is an expert on Linux pppd that would like
> > to help put together some easy configs for standard
> > dial-in scenarios?
>
> Crunch time for me right now, finals coming right up...

Thank's anyway. I'll keep working on the bugs.

:-)

Jeff

> I'll bet there's quite a few ISP-savvy admins who could
> lend a hand though -
>
> jjs

2000-11-25 18:46:00

by Jeff V. Merkey

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 02:28:56PM +0100, Pedro M. Rodrigues wrote:

> You are not alone. And the problem gets even worse when you
> have to deal with ISDN devices. In my company?s data room we
> have all Linux servers running 365 days a year (minus upgrade
> time) and in one corner a lonely Windows NT Server 3.0 with 5
> Client Access Licenses working as a RAS server for 2 Diva Server
> BRI cards (4 analog/digital channels) plus one analog modem.
> Time to set it up? Half an hour counting NT installation. Time i lost
> investigating and trying different configurations, dealing with
> contradictory documentation, chat scripts, different ipppd versions,
> and authentication failures? 2 days. At Ieast i cant complain about
> pppd oops, as you do, the pppd in RH6.2 seemed solid. The
> document of reference that seemed more interesting to me at the
> time was http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/pers.html , have a look
> please.

Thanks. We need to get the Linux stuff to the same point. From
our analysis, it's the only weak feature left -- Linux either
matches or surpasses NT in every other area now except this one.

Jeff

> Regards,
> Pedro
>
> On 25 Nov 2000, at 0:36, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>

> > Anyone out there a whiz at setting up a pppd dialin server? I am
> > trying to put together an RPM for pppd dialin configurations
> > that will support default Windows NT and Linux dial in clients
> > without requiring the poor user to learn bash scripting, chat
> > scripting, mgetty and inittab configuration, etc. The steps
> > in setting this up are about as easy as going on a U.N. relief
> > mission to equatorial Africa, and most customers who are
> > "mere mortals" would give up about an hour into it.
> >
> > I am seeing massive problems with pppd dial-in and IP/IPX
> > routing with problems that range from constant Oops, to
> > the bug infested pppd daemon failing valid MD5 chap
> > authentication. The HOW-TO's and man pages provide
> > wonderful commentary on all the things about pppd
> > that don't work, but it's not too helpful on getting
> > it to work reliably. An NT dial-in server takes about
> > 5 minutes to configure on W2K. Linux takes about 2 days, and
> > won't stay up reliably.
> >
> > Who out there is an expert on Linux pppd that would like
> > to help put together some easy configs for standard
> > dial-in scenarios?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]

by Jeff V. Merkey

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 11:04:48AM -0600, William Scott Lockwood III wrote:
> Jeff,
> I am also VERY interested in this, particularly on getting modems to work
> with Linux at all. I'm not reading the list right now, but I'd appreciate
> any feedback you can throw my way on this. Esp. if you DO get it setup and
> working. It sure would be nice to see Linux FINALLY support more modems out
> there. Hell, my Internal USR ISA modem is not even supported, but FreeBSD
> had had support for it for a long time now. :-( Please let me know what
> you find out, and I'm VERY interested in your RPM - hope there will be a
> straight tarball for us Slackware Dinosaurs too. :-)

I'll post ot at vger.timpanogas.org with the Ute-NWFS distribution. It
will be freely downloadable. Having plug and play NT dial-in support
would be very nice. SuSe has a pretty nice setup, but we have as many,
if not more problems with their's vs. RedHat and ours.

Jeff

> Scott

by Raivis Bucis

: > > Anyone out there a whiz at setting up a pppd dialin server? I am
: > > trying to put together an RPM for pppd dialin configurations
: > > that will support default Windows NT and Linux dial in clients
: > > without requiring the poor user to learn bash scripting, chat
: > > scripting, mgetty and inittab configuration, etc. The steps
: > > in setting this up are about as easy as going on a U.N. relief
: > > mission to equatorial Africa, and most customers who are
: > > "mere mortals" would give up about an hour into it.
: >
: > Red Hat's ppp client setup is about a 90 second job
:
: I am using theirs as a base. Setup's not the issue. It's the
: chap MD5 authentication for NT clients and the constant
: crashing that's troublesome. I have it working, just not
: with NT clients.

Probably this little patch will help you. I had similar problems with
Windows 95 and encryption
enabled.

Raivis

Attachments: