2000-11-26 20:51:46

by John Margaglione

Subject: ISSUE: usb-storage causes system freeze on large transfers

1. usb-storage causes system freeze on large transfers.

2. When transferring data from a SanDisk ImageMate SDDR-31 loaded with
an IBM Microdrive, I get random system freezes.

In the first case, using 2.4.0-test10 with a 50MB transfer, the system
dropped out of X with a console freeze and a message about the watchdog
timer. Sorry, but I didn't have paper around to write out the whole
message.

In the second and third cases, using 2.4.0-test11 with 10-20MB
transfers, the system became non-responsive and required a hard reboot.
No messages were given in the log files.

All of the cases were within a three hour period on the same machine
(see description below). In each case, the command "cp /mnt/camera/* ."
was issued.

Note that I have had a half-dozen successfully completed transfers of
10-40MB in between these errors. The words "race condition" come to
mind.

3. Keywords: usb usb-storage

4. Kernel version: 2.4.0-test10/2.4.0-test11

5. No OOPS available.

6. "cp /mnt/camera/* ." will cause the error. In this case, I mounted
/mnt/camera on /dev/sdd1, where the usb-storage driver had provided
/dev/sdd1 for the SanDisk device.

7. Environment
7.1 Software
Linux wopr 2.4.0-test11 #9 SMP Sat Nov 25 18:52:11 CST 2000 i686
unknown
Kernel modules 2.3.14
Gnu C 2.96
Binutils 2.10.0.18
Linux C Library 1.94.so
ldd: missing file arguments
Try `ldd --help' for more information.
ls: /usr/lib/libg++.so: No such file or directory
Procps 2.0.7
Mount 2.10m
Net-tools (2000-05-21)
Kbd [option...]
Sh-utils 2.0
Sh-utils Parker.
Sh-utils
Sh-utils Inc.
Sh-utils NO
Sh-utils PURPOSE.

Running under latest HelixGnome with Enlightenment window manager.
Open applications included Netscape, GMC and a half-dozen xterms.

7.2 Processor Information
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 6
model name : Celeron (Mendocino)
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 451.000028
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
features : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips : 897.84

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 6
model name : Celeron (Mendocino)
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 451.000028
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
features : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips : 901.12

7.3 Module info
nls_cp437 4384 1 (autoclean)
vfat 11500 1 (autoclean)
fat 32504 0 (autoclean) [vfat]
usb-storage 43428 1
agpgart 15172 0 (unused)

7.4 SCSI info
Attached devices:
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
Vendor: SEAGATE Model: ST39173WC Rev: 6244
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
Vendor: SEAGATE Model: ST39173WC Rev: 6244
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: 23.D
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision:
ffffffff
Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: SanDisk Model: ImageMate II Rev: 1.30

7.5 Other info
Please CC me in reference to this issue, as I do not subscribe to the
list.

John Margaglione