2000-12-08 21:39:45

by Chris Lattner

Subject: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

This email is here to announce the availability of a port of ORBit (the
GNOME ORB) to the Linux kernel. This ORB, named kORBit, is available from
our sourceforge web site (http://korbit.sourceforge.net/). A kernel ORB
allows you to write kernel extensions in CORBA and have the kernel call
into them, or to call into the kernel through CORBA. This opens the door
to a wide range of experiments/hacks:

* We can now write device drivers in perl, and let them run on the iMAC
across the hall from you. :)
* Through the use of a LD_PRELOAD'd syscall wrapper library, you can
forward system calls through CORBA to an arbitrary local/remote machine.
* CORBA servers are implemented as Linux kernel modules, so they may be
dynamically loaded or unloaded from a running system at any time. CORBA
servers expose their IOR's through a /proc/corba filesystem.
* Filesystems may be implemented as remote CORBA objects and mounted on
the local machine, by using 'mount -t corbafs -o IOR:... none /mnt/corba'

This are just some of the features available _RIGHT_NOW_ that are
supported by kORBit. I'm sure that YOU can think of many more.

Implementation:
We implemented this port by providing a user->kernel mapping layer that
consists of providing standard system header files for the "user" code to
#include. In these header files, we do the mapping required. For
example, we implement a <stdio.h> that #defines printf to printk (as a
trivial example). Only user level code sees or uses these wrappers... all
of our modifications to the Linux kernel are contained within the
linux/net/korbit subdirectory.

This is currently implemented with a 2.4.0test10 kernel, although forward
porting should be very easy. This project was implemented as a cs423
semester project by Chris Lattner, Fredrik Vraalsen, Andy Reitz, and Keith
Wessel at the University of Illinois @ Urbana Champaign.

Unresolved issues:
* Our poll model is not optimial. Currently we actually do a real poll on
a (struct socket *) set. This causes relatively high latencies (on the
order 1 second, worst case) for CORBA requests. Our waitqueues are not
working quite as well as they should. :)
* Security is completely unimplemented. Someone could use corba
interfaces to read any file on your system, for example (if the
CORBA-FileServer module is installed). Thus, this is really more for
prototyping and development than actual real world use. :)

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at:

Chris Lattner, Fredrik Vraalsen, Andy Reitz, Keith Wessel
<[email protected]>

btw, yes we are quite crazy, but what good is it to be normal and
conformist afterall? :)

2000-12-09 01:20:41

by Bernd Eckenfels

Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0012081626140.7741-100000@http://www.nondot.org> you wrote:
> This email is here to announce the availability of a port of ORBit (the
> GNOME ORB) to the Linux kernel.

OMG you guys are so cool :)

Hey, this is real craftsmanship (not sure if it useful :)

Does this revamp the Micro Kernel Discussin? ONLY KIDDING :)

Greetings
Bernd

2000-12-09 05:15:00

by Ben Ford

Chris Lattner wrote:

> This email is here to announce the availability of a port of ORBit (the
> GNOME ORB) to the Linux kernel. This ORB, named kORBit, is available from
> our sourceforge web site (http://korbit.sourceforge.net/). A kernel ORB
> allows you to write kernel extensions in CORBA and have the kernel call
> into them, or to call into the kernel through CORBA. This opens the door
> to a wide range of experiments/hacks:
>
> * We can now write device drivers in perl, and let them run on the iMAC
> across the hall from you. :)

Why would you *ever* want to write a device driver in perl???

-b

2000-12-09 05:31:24

by Mohammad A. Haque

It was just an example. Basically, you'd be able to do in with just
about any language that has ORBit bindings.

Ben Ford wrote:
> Why would you *ever* want to write a device driver in perl???

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Alexander Viro

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:

> It was just an example. Basically, you'd be able to do in with just
> about any language that has ORBit bindings.

Yeah... "Infinitely extendable API" and all such. Roughly translated
as "we can't live without API bloat". Frankly, judging by the GNOME
codebase people who designed the thing are culturally incompatible with
UNIX.

--
"KISS is tough" -- programmer Barbie.

2000-12-09 06:22:11

by David Ford

> > * We can now write device drivers in perl, and let them run on the iMAC
> > across the hall from you. :)
>
> Why would you *ever* want to write a device driver in perl???

So you can easily facilitate opportunities for viruses ;)

-d

Attachments:
david.vcf (274.00 B)
Card for David Ford

2000-12-09 11:05:41

by Jamie Lokier

Alexander Viro wrote:
> > It was just an example. Basically, you'd be able to do in with just
> > about any language that has ORBit bindings.
>
> Yeah... "Infinitely extendable API" and all such. Roughly translated
> as "we can't live without API bloat". Frankly, judging by the GNOME
> codebase people who designed the thing are culturally incompatible with
> UNIX.

Agree. I remember a big complaint about Windows was the huge APIs,
compared with Unix' tiny list of syscalls. And then I saw the GNOME
docs... ew!

> "KISS is tough" -- programmer Barbie.

;

-- Jamie

2000-12-09 12:29:24

by Alan

> Yeah... "Infinitely extendable API" and all such. Roughly translated
> as "we can't live without API bloat". Frankly, judging by the GNOME
> codebase people who designed the thing are culturally incompatible with
> UNIX.

Oh they are definitely unix people, but ORBit is about solving a very
different sort of problem to scribbling bits on a disk, or it was until very
crazy people got involved

2000-12-09 13:00:16

by Alexander Viro

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Yeah... "Infinitely extendable API" and all such. Roughly translated
> > as "we can't live without API bloat". Frankly, judging by the GNOME
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > codebase people who designed the thing are culturally incompatible with
^^^^^^^^
> > UNIX.
>
> Oh they are definitely unix people, but ORBit is about solving a very
> different sort of problem to scribbling bits on a disk, or it was until very
> crazy people got involved

<shrug> From what I've seen in GNOME it's mostly about avoiding pipes
religiously and putting everything and a kitchen sink into the same
process. I'm not saying that it has no valid uses, but it definitely
had contributed to the bloat in case of GNOME.

2000-12-09 14:47:45

by Alexander Viro

I wrote:
> Yeah... "Infinitely extendable API" and all such. Roughly translated
> as "we can't live without API bloat". Frankly, judging by the GNOME
> codebase people who designed the thing are culturally incompatible with
> UNIX.

Hrrm. After rereading... I suspect that I wasn't clear enough -
s/thing/GNOME/. IOW, the comment applies to shining example of (ab)use
of mechanism.

PS: apologies for crossposting that in the first place - I ought to look
at the Cc. Sorry.

2000-12-09 16:33:01

by Dietmar Kling

> <shrug> From what I've seen in GNOME it's mostly about avoiding pipes
> religiously and putting everything and a kitchen sink into the same
> process. I'm not saying that it has no valid uses, but it definitely
> had contributed to the bloat in case of GNOME.

Please consider to read this article
especially the section about unix pipes...

http://www.helixcode.com/~miguel/bongo-bong.html

Maybe this changes your view of the problem.

Regards
Dietmar

2000-12-09 21:28:44

by Alan

> > <shrug> From what I've seen in GNOME it's mostly about avoiding pipes
> > religiously and putting everything and a kitchen sink into the same
> > process. I'm not saying that it has no valid uses, but it definitely
> > had contributed to the bloat in case of GNOME.
> >

> Please consider to read this article
> especially the section about unix pipes...
>
> http://www.helixcode.com/~miguel/bongo-bong.html
>
> Maybe this changes your view of the problem.

If you needed a demonstration that Miguel does not get Unix that URL you cited
is the favoured one 8)

2000-12-10 02:49:13

by Alexander Viro

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > <shrug> From what I've seen in GNOME it's mostly about avoiding pipes
> > > religiously and putting everything and a kitchen sink into the same
> > > process. I'm not saying that it has no valid uses, but it definitely
> > > had contributed to the bloat in case of GNOME.
> > >

> > Please consider to read this article
> > especially the section about unix pipes...
> >
> > http://www.helixcode.com/~miguel/bongo-bong.html
> >
> > Maybe this changes your view of the problem.
>
> If you needed a demonstration that Miguel does not get Unix that URL you cited
> is the favoured one 8)

Oh, that hardly counts as news. Both the Miguel's, erm, persuasion and
his arguments themselves.

It's a real shame that nobody had shown him polymorphic typed functional
languages. Imagine Genera-like environment with LML instead of LISP and
G-machine as the engine. _That_ has plumbing power at least equivalent
to shell. And yes, it can very well use CORBA for talking to G-machine.
I would prefer something like 9P, though. Moreover, it can easily
incorporate normal scripting. But use of strongly-typed glue without
polymorphism... Ew. There is a reason why scripting languages are not
done that way.

If you are trying to design an OS you might as well try to make it
simple and elegant...

BTW, gotta love the argument about UI consistency as a reason to make
everything monlithic - one might think that separating UI code from
the payload one would simplify making the former consistent, just
by virtue of having less code to take care of... Especially since
UI programmers tend to be, well, a distinctly separate bunch.

What came as real surprise was the defense of bloat. No, not the fact
in itself, but general, erm, disdain to logics. "People say that X is
bad since it has property P. But Y also has that property, Y runs on
UNIX, so P is OK". Especially since Y is a bunch of really crappy programs,
most of them either of non-UNIX origin or emulating non-UNIX ones.
Logics: F-. Rethorics: D, and that's being bloody generous...

2000-12-10 03:41:23

by Dietmar Kling

Ok guys i take your arguments...
(i really loved to hear them)

and i'd like to continue them in a
private discussion( but i am
tired now ... :) )

but a last one i cannot resist...

<sarcasm>
but why are your ideas not widespread and
so successful like kde,gnome,windows?
maybe because they suck at some point?
</sarcasm>

Regards (and please flame me private ... :))
Dietmar

2000-12-10 03:53:26

by David Ford

> but a last one i cannot resist...
>
> <sarcasm>
> but why are your ideas not widespread and
> so successful like kde,gnome,windows?
> maybe because they suck at some point?
> </sarcasm>
>
> Regards (and please flame me private ... :))

Last time I checked you needed a kernel...

-d

Attachments:
david.vcf (274.00 B)
Card for David Ford

2000-12-10 08:27:13

by Bernd Eckenfels

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
> Why would you *ever* want to write a device driver in perl???

Actually there is kind of device driver in perl, and besides it's
performance I think it proofed that a High-Level Language can do good for
rapid prototyping.

http://www.inter-mezzo.org - a distributed file system

Greetings
Bernd

2000-12-11 13:17:48

by Martin Dalecki

Dietmar Kling wrote:

> Ok guys i take your arguments...
> (i really loved to hear them)
>
> and i'd like to continue them in a
> private discussion( but i am
> tired now ... :) )
>
> but a last one i cannot resist...
>
> <sarcasm>
> but why are your ideas not widespread and
> so successful like kde,gnome,windows?

Please don't put KDE into the same bunch as gnome or
windows. KDE is in fact *well designed*! In esp. 2.0

> maybe because they suck at some point?
> </sarcasm>

2000-12-11 14:18:17

by J.A. Magallon

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:38:52 Martin Dalecki wrote:

> Please don't put KDE into the same bunch as gnome or
> windows. KDE is in fact *well designed*! In esp. 2.0

That is why you need a supercomputer to run KDE at acceptable interactive
speeds...

--
Juan Antonio Magallon Lacarta #> cd /pub
mailto:[email protected] #> more beer

Linux werewolf 2.2.18-vm #1 SMP Mon Dec 11 02:36:30 CET 2000 i686

2000-12-11 17:49:29

by Alexander Viro

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Martin Dalecki wrote:

> Please don't put KDE into the same bunch as gnome or
> windows. KDE is in fact *well designed*! In esp. 2.0

<raised brows> 'Tis funny, you know, because ISTR that the bloody thing
got the same problems with the program sizes, API bloat and lack of
orthogonality. Last time I've looked at their codebase was ~6 months
ago and it was rather vomit-inducing.

The fact that there is a holy war doesn't mean that one of the sides
doesn't suck - usually both do...

2000-12-11 18:15:47

by Matthew D. Pitts

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:38:52 Martin Dalecki wrote:
> >
> > Please don't put KDE into the same bunch as gnome or
> > windows. KDE is in fact *well designed*! In esp. 2.0
> >

> That is why you need a supercomputer to run KDE at acceptable interactive
> speeds...
umm, does a pentium 166Mhz with 32MB of RAM qualify as a supercomputer? KDE
1.1.2 on Linux-Mandrake 7.1 here. I WILL try KDE 2.0.1 and let you know how
it runs.

Matthew D. Pitts

by Dietmar Kling

Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Martin Dalecki wrote:
>
> > Please don't put KDE into the same bunch as gnome or
> > windows. KDE is in fact *well designed*! In esp. 2.0
>
> <raised brows> 'Tis funny, you know, because ISTR that the bloody thing
> got the same problems with the program sizes, API bloat and lack of
> orthogonality. Last time I've looked at their codebase was ~6 months
> ago and it was rather vomit-inducing.
>
> The fact that there is a holy war doesn't mean that one of the sides
> doesn't suck - usually both do...

I do not understand this
"i saw it - yuck! - and now i want to kill it "
point of view.
As I tried to point out. Things evolve. And
the evolution has the right do things wrong.
Next evolution step will do it probably better.

Al same as kernel development. With your attitude
i'd have dropped linux 0.99 immediatly.
Remember the code in certain parts?

So what is your point?
I accept only shiny little masterpieces of software?
Thats not the way it works IMHO.

Best Regards
Dietmar

2000-12-11 19:24:23

by Alexander Viro

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Dietmar Kling wrote:

> I do not understand this
> "i saw it - yuck! - and now i want to kill it "

s/want to kill it/do not want to touch it/

> point of view.
> As I tried to point out. Things evolve. And
> the evolution has the right do things wrong.
> Next evolution step will do it probably better.

You do realize what "evolution" means? I'm not talking about the bugs
in implementation. I'm talking about botched design. _That_ never gets
fixed. Show me one example when that would happen and I might consider
taking such possibility seriously.

> Al same as kernel development. With your attitude
> i'd have dropped linux 0.99 immediatly.
> Remember the code in certain parts?

And? It wasn't nearly that huge and what matters _much_ more it was not
that tasteless.

> So what is your point?
> I accept only shiny little masterpieces of software?

No. The larger it is - the harder it is to redesign. And both GNOME and
KDE are _way_ past the size*severity_of_misdesign threshold. IOW, I simply
don't believe that either project has sufficient manpower to fix their stuff.
And that's orders of magnitude insufficient. As far as I can see they are
also way past "it's easier to do from scratch than to fix" threshold. The
same reason why I don't believe that NT will ever become decent OS, even
if the full source would become available, yodda, yodda.

Feel free to prove me wrong, but I would be very surprised to see it. And
yes, the fact that UNIX was conceptually simple and relatively small helped
it _big_ way. Small beasts adapt and propagate. Huge ones tend to become
dead-ends. So much for evolution...

2000-12-11 19:43:11

by Dietmar Kling

> You do realize what "evolution" means? I'm not talking about the bugs
> in implementation. I'm talking about botched design. _That_ never gets
> fixed. Show me one example when that would happen and I might consider
> taking such possibility seriously.

That's what I am talking about in my "mean" attitude. Some things
must be carried until the dead end. When there's no place to move
anymore than new things will evolve.
< short thinking >
As for your second point. Take libc5 and libc6. I really have no
*deep* insight. But I believe redesigning it for Multithreading
was mayor step.

Regards
Dietmar

2000-12-11 20:52:04

by Alexander Viro

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Dietmar Kling wrote:

> > You do realize what "evolution" means? I'm not talking about the bugs
> > in implementation. I'm talking about botched design. _That_ never gets
> > fixed. Show me one example when that would happen and I might consider
> > taking such possibility seriously.
>
> That's what I am talking about in my "mean" attitude. Some things
> must be carried until the dead end. When there's no place to move
> anymore than new things will evolve.

Minix is still alive.

> < short thinking >
> As for your second point. Take libc5 and libc6. I really have no
> *deep* insight. But I believe redesigning it for Multithreading
> was mayor step.

... and libc6 was not a result of evolution of libc5 - they have a
common ancestor, but they got several years of divergent evolution
before the displacement had happened.

2000-12-11 22:14:07

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > This email is here to announce the availability of a port of ORBit (the
> > GNOME ORB) to the Linux kernel. This ORB, named kORBit, is available from
> > our sourceforge web site (http://korbit.sourceforge.net/). A kernel ORB
> > allows you to write kernel extensions in CORBA and have the kernel call
> > into them, or to call into the kernel through CORBA. This opens the door
> > to a wide range of experiments/hacks:
> >
> > * We can now write device drivers in perl, and let them run on the iMAC
> > across the hall from you. :)
>
> Why would you *ever* want to write a device driver in perl???

Well, why not? When I created driver for 3com homefree camera (USB),
it had to do lots of parsing, so perl was ideal language. [Well, I was
not able to make driver work; anyway it would be good driver to be
written in perl.]

Pavel
--
I'm [email protected]. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at [email protected]

2000-12-11 23:26:11

by Michael Rothwell

Ben Ford wrote:

> Why would you *ever* want to write a device driver in perl???

Well, Perl, I don't know. But the USB 'driver' for my Canon PowerShot
S20 runs in userspace. Seems a safer place to do things.

-M

2000-12-12 15:34:55

by josef h??k

What about implementing 9P instead

/joh

Michael Rothwell wrote:

> Ben Ford wrote:
>
> > Why would you *ever* want to write a device driver in perl???
>
> Well, Perl, I don't know. But the USB 'driver' for my Canon PowerShot
> S20 runs in userspace. Seems a safer place to do things.
>
> -M
> -

by Michael Rothwell

josef h??k wrote:

> What about implementing 9P instead

That would rock. Plan9 is unix done the right way -- i.e., the fully
consistent way. I'd love to see 9p in Linux. We're heading that
direction anyway, with procfs, devfs, etc.

2000-12-12 21:55:26

by Chris Lattner

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:

> It was just an example. Basically, you'd be able to do in with just
> about any language that has ORBit bindings.
>
> Ben Ford wrote:
> > Why would you *ever* want to write a device driver in perl???

Precisely... but also, there could be a case where perl would make
sense. Consider an FTP filesystem. There performance is not dictated by
the speed of the language, it's limited by bandwidth. It could make sense
to write your almighty FTPfs like this:

1. Prototype it in Perl, get all the bugs out.
2. Rewrite in C in userspace, get all the bugs out.
3. recompile/relink in kernel space with no source modifications
4. ship product. :)

The great thing that kORBit buys you is insulation of kernel space from
the drivers that are running... kinda like a microkernel. I'm not going
to start a flamewar here about Linux and microkernels, but when doing
initial development work for a driver, the test/crash/reboot/fsck cycle is
a real pain (okay, maybe journalling helps a little, but you get the
idea). What we're offering goes more like this:

1. Boot kernel
2. Install corbafs module for example
3. Start test filesystem in user space
4. mount test user space filesystem
5. test it, oh crap, it segfaulted.
6. CorbaFS gets exceptions trying to communicate to server, which it
relays to the kernel as -errno conditions.
7. You safely unmount corbafs
8. fix your bug
9. goto step #2.

Which is arguably nicer. :)

The whole idea is that a bastard driver shouldn't take your kernel down if
you know it to be unreliable... if you trust the driver, then by all
means, don't use kORBit. Also, kORBit is useful when you don't WANT
something in the kernel... and I won't bring up the whole user level
filesystem debate again... :)

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

> Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
> [email protected]
>
> "Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
> Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/
> [email protected]

by David Woodhouse

[email protected] said:
> 1. Boot kernel
> 2. Install corbafs module for example

You misspelled 'codafs' :)

--
dwmw2

2000-12-14 01:32:17

by Chris Lattner

> > > It was just an example. Basically, you'd be able to do in with just
> > > about any language that has ORBit bindings.

> Agree. I remember a big complaint about Windows was the huge APIs,
> compared with Unix' tiny list of syscalls. And then I saw the GNOME
> docs... ew!

Err... how about this: Give me two or three kORBit syscalls and I can get
rid of all the other 100+ syscalls! :)

We're not trying to port GNOME to the kernel. We're not trying to bloat
the kernel API, actually we're trying to do the opposite. Consider this:

1. kORBit adds about 150k of code to the 2.4t10 kernel.
2. kNFS adds about 100k of code to the 2.4t10 kernel.
3. kORBit can do everything kNFS does, plus a WHOLE lot more: For example
implement an NFS like server that uses SSL to send files and
requests... so it is really actually "secure".

> > Yeah... "Infinitely extendable API" and all such. Roughly translated
> > as "we can't live without API bloat". Frankly, judging by the GNOME

<sarcasm>
Whoa, you are so right... a well defined API is a terrible thing!
Instead, lets try doing the following:

1. Define our API to be a bizarre and poorly documented collection of
inline functions, macros, and normal functions.
2. Lets make this API have all kinds of subtle side effects, and lets not
document these!
3. Lets raise the level that people have to be at to even TOUCH our
APIs. Only uber-hackers that have worked with the system for 1+ years
should be able to comprehend what's going on in the big picture...
4. Nobody that is "allowed" to work on this thing is dumb enough to
produce any bugs. Because of that, debuggers are outlawed and anyone who
attempts to debug code is shunned from existance...
5. Lets duplicate code all over the place that does mostly the same thing,
but has subtle differences.
6. Lets structure the file layout such that files are in poorly grouped
catagories, often with ambiguous locations, and lets drop HUNDREDS of
.c files into individual directories. After all that's much easier
than actually sorting them out.

oh wait, we have this, the Linux kernel.
</sarcasm>

Yes yes, this was definately a pot shot at the kernel tree, and I'm not at
all serious about this. The fact of the matter, however, is that there
are a lot of cool things that a well defined interface for kernel
programming can buy you. Yes, there is an overhead, but do you really
care about how performant your parrellel port scanner driver is? I'm not
advocating that people write their fibre channel drivers with kORBit. :)

Actually, if you really want to get technical about this thing, I never
said anyone should use this at all. :) I just mentioned that it is out
there and if people feel like it they can use it or play with it. I
happen to think it addresses a point that is currently poorly addressed in
the Linux kernel: you can't do RPCs to the kernel in a well defined
manner. Linux is facing a crisis that is growing every day, and that is
that there is no well defined interface for drivers to use... so
compatibilty across releases it almost impossible.

Don't worry about kORBit. Like most open source projects, it will simply
die out after a while, because people don't find it interesting and there
is really no place for it. If it becomes useful, mature, and refined,
however, it could be a very powerful tool for a large class of problems
(like moving code OUT of the kernel).

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 01:41:49

by Alan

> Don't worry about kORBit. Like most open source projects, it will simply
> die out after a while, because people don't find it interesting and there
> is really no place for it. If it becomes useful, mature, and refined,
> however, it could be a very powerful tool for a large class of problems
> (like moving code OUT of the kernel).

I do have one sensible question. Given that corba is while flexible a
relatively expensive encoding system, wouldn't it be better to keep corba
out of kernel space and talk something which is a simple and cleaner encoding

Alan

2000-12-14 02:21:06

by Alexander Viro

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Don't worry about kORBit. Like most open source projects, it will simply
> > die out after a while, because people don't find it interesting and there
> > is really no place for it. If it becomes useful, mature, and refined,
> > however, it could be a very powerful tool for a large class of problems
> > (like moving code OUT of the kernel).
>
> I do have one sensible question. Given that corba is while flexible a
> relatively expensive encoding system, wouldn't it be better to keep corba
> out of kernel space and talk something which is a simple and cleaner encoding

p9fs exists. I didn't see these patches since August, but probably I can poke
Roman into porting it to the current tree. 9P is quite simple and unlike
CORBA it had been designed for taking kernel stuff to userland. Besides,
authors definitely understand UNIX...

2000-12-14 02:37:39

by Alexander Viro

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Err... how about this: Give me two or three kORBit syscalls and I can get
> rid of all the other 100+ syscalls! :)

Like it ioctl() does it? Number of entry points is _not_ an issue. Diversity
of the API is. Technically, kernel has 1 (_o_n_e_) entry point as far as
userland is concerned. int 0x80 on x86. Can't beat that, can you?

Yes, standard RPC mechanism would be nice. No, CORBA is not a good candidate -
too baroque and actually known to lead to extremely tasteless APIs being
implemented over it. Yes, I mean GNOME. So sue me.

I would take 9P over that any day, thank you very much.

2000-12-14 03:12:36

by Chris Lattner

Subject: Re: [Korbit-cvs] Re: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

> > Don't worry about kORBit. Like most open source projects, it will simply
> > die out after a while, because people don't find it interesting and there
> > is really no place for it. If it becomes useful, mature, and refined,
> > however, it could be a very powerful tool for a large class of problems
> > (like moving code OUT of the kernel).
>
> I do have one sensible question. Given that corba is while flexible a
> relatively expensive encoding system, wouldn't it be better to keep corba
> out of kernel space and talk something which is a simple and cleaner encoding

Very good point. I think this distills down to common misconception of
CORBA: that it must be slow. Actually, a LOT of research has been done
to improve CORBA performance, but you have to keep in mind one very
IMPORTANT THING:

CORBA does NOT dictate a transport or data format for the data going out
"over the wire".

CORBA does specify one "standard" used for interoperability: GIOP. It
also specifies one important incarnation of GIOP: IIOP (GIOP over
IP). kORBit currently uses this to communicate from user space to kernel
space... obviously this is not ideal. :)

There is absolutely NOTHING that prevents us from defining our own "data
marshalling" protocol/algorithm that is lighter weight than IIOP. In
fact, we had planned to implement that for our project, but of course, ran
out of time. It would be relatively straight forward to define this
extension in the ORBit code base, and in fact "ORBit 2" is striving to
make this much much easier than it is now (basically sorting out IIOP
specific code from the main code base better, and generally cleaning
things up). Currently, ORBit supports IIOP and its own proprietary (as
far as I know) Unix domain socket protocol (obviously only works
intramachine).

There is a large perception of CORBA being slow, but for the most part it
is unjustified. I believe that the act of _designing_ a completely new
protocol, standardizing it, and making it actually work would be a huge
process that would basically reinvent CORBA (obviously some of the design
decisions could be made differently, but all the same issues would have be
dealt with).

CORBA, today, gives us superior interoperability (through IIOP), with
extensibility for the future. As Alexander Viro mentions, 9P may be a
better protocol for local communications... so CORBA gives us a framework
to try that out with. Even IIOP is smart enough to, for example, only do
endian swapping of data if the two machines actually differ... so at least
it doesn't specify a "network" byte order.

CORBA isn't ideal for all applications, it certainly isn't the ideal IPC
or RPC mechanism (the L4 designers would have a laughing fit if you tried
to use it for _general_ IPC), but it is very useful for a lot of
things. kORBit is very pre-alpha code, it works, but has lots of room for
enhancements, experiementation, and toying around with.

That's what makes it cool. :)

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 03:24:04

by Chris Lattner

> > Err... how about this: Give me two or three kORBit syscalls and I can get
> > rid of all the other 100+ syscalls! :)

> Like it ioctl() does it? Number of entry points is _not_ an issue. Diversity
> of the API is. Technically, kernel has 1 (_o_n_e_) entry point as far as
> userland is concerned. int 0x80 on x86. Can't beat that, can you?

Err shame on you, don't forget about lcall and exceptions, and interrupts,
and... That is technically more than _o_n_e_ "entry point". :) Oh wait,
what about sysenter/exit too? :)

No I can't beat that. But if you look at the hack job of a system call
table we have, you can see that there is no _really_ standard way of
passing parameters. Oh sure, most of the time, stuff is passed in
registers. Sometimes we get a pointer to an argument struct. Because of
this wonderful design we get all kinds of stuff like sys_oldumount vs
sys_umount and others...

> Yes, standard RPC mechanism would be nice. No, CORBA is not a good candidate -
> too baroque and actually known to lead to extremely tasteless APIs being
> implemented over it. Yes, I mean GNOME. So sue me.

Hrm... because I'm stupid, please explain how CORBA is too baroque... I
have no problem with you not liking GNOME... you're a kernel hacker, so
you're not supposed to like GUI's. :) [just kidding!!!] CORBA doesn't
preclude nasty APIs any more than C does. It also doesn't preclude *nice*
APIs that are upgradable and extensible in the future (and that means
without breaking backwards compatibility). Please don't tell me that OOP
is bad... or else we will have the eviscerate the VFS layer from the
kernel (amount other subsystems)... :)

> I would take 9P over that any day, thank you very much.

Like I mentioned in a previous email, CORBA does not preclude 9P. What
it does buy you though, is compatibility with LOTS of preexisting CORBA
tools. How much development infrastructure is there for 9P? I thought
so. :)

For one of our demos, we ran a file server on a remote linux box (that we
just had a user account on), mounted it on a kORBit'ized box, and ran
programs on SPARC Solaris that accessed the kORBit'ized linux box's file
syscalls. If nothing else, it's pretty nifty what you can do in little
code...

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 03:26:24

by Michael Rothwell

Alexander Viro wrote:
> p9fs exists. I didn't see these patches since August, but probably I can poke
> Roman into porting it to the current tree. 9P is quite simple and unlike
> CORBA it had been designed for taking kernel stuff to userland. Besides,
> authors definitely understand UNIX...

I would side with Viro here. Just as we would all cringe if MSFT added
COM/ActiveX support to the NT kernel, us Unix folks cringe at the
thought of adding CORBA to the kernel. However, that doesn't mean that
we dislike the idea of exporting kernel services and interfaces for use
in userland. And Plan9 seems to have some rather elegant and efficient
methods for doing that. In Plan9, everything really is a file! It's as
if they got a chance to do Unix again, and they did it consistently this
time.

2000-12-14 03:39:30

by Alexander Viro

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chris Lattner wrote:

> CORBA, today, gives us superior interoperability (through IIOP), with
> extensibility for the future. As Alexander Viro mentions, 9P may be a
> better protocol for local communications...

Local? Funny. It lives atop of TCP or IL quite fine. What's
even funnier, I can use it to export /proc from CPU server to workstation
and use _that_ for remote debugging. Ditto for window system. Ditto for
DNS. Ditto for plumber. No, not on Linux...

What you do is mapping your RPC to hierarchical namespace. After
that... What extensibility do you need? You can use every utility written
for core UNIX API (open()/read()/write()/close()) as a client. No need
to reinvent the wheel...

2000-12-14 03:42:19

by Chris Lattner

> > I do have one sensible question. Given that corba is while flexible a
> > relatively expensive encoding system, wouldn't it be better to keep corba
> > out of kernel space and talk something which is a simple and cleaner encoding

> p9fs exists. I didn't see these patches since August, but probably I can poke
> Roman into porting it to the current tree. 9P is quite simple and unlike
> CORBA it had been designed for taking kernel stuff to userland. Besides,
> authors definitely understand UNIX...

One thing that you might want to mention Alexander: 9P is not a general
communications protocol. In fact, it doesn't work very well across the
internet at all. To get decent performance, the Plan9 group (which, is a
very cool group. :) has to specify a new protocol that competes with TCP
on the level of complexity (IL: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/il/il.html)

Also, 9P is a general communications framework only in the context of
Plan9 itself. In reality it only applys directly/well to filesystem
related issues... the reason it works well in Plan9 is that _everything_
is a file (part of the beauty of plan9).

With some elbow grease, 9P could probably be made to work in the kORBit
framework. It's not even that big of a deal: it just takes time. Believe
me when I say that IIOP is not a very good user->kernel communications
mechanism. :)

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 03:50:10

by Chris Lattner

/me trims down CC list...

> Local? Funny. It lives atop of TCP or IL quite fine. What's
> even funnier, I can use it to export /proc from CPU server to workstation
> and use _that_ for remote debugging. Ditto for window system. Ditto for
> DNS. Ditto for plumber. No, not on Linux...

No not on linux. No definately not on Windows, no not on the BSD's
either. Oops, wasn't interoperability an important part of the Linux
kernel design? Didn't we want to use and follow and define _real_
standards?

> What you do is mapping your RPC to hierarchical namespace. After
> that... What extensibility do you need? You can use every utility written
> for core UNIX API (open()/read()/write()/close()) as a client. No need
> to reinvent the wheel...

Heh, that's interesting. _getting_ the data isn't hard in 9P, actually
using it or displaying it in a meaningful way commonly requires something
more than cat. :)

The overriding problem with a simplistic 9P port is that linux kernel
functionality is not very well modularized. In fact, this prevents
wonderful CORBA integration as well: An agressive filesystem (for
example) often likes to touch the buffer cache or even the VM layer
(*cough*) directly. Some don't use the prescribed interfaces, because
nothing enforces it. 9P works wonderfully for Plan9 because they had the
luxery of redefining/rewriting the whole OS, and the whole interaction
with user space processes. We, unfortunately, don't have that
possibility. :)

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to other ideas, and 9P may in
fact turn out to be a very nice protocol that would be able to support
much kORBit level functionality). I do maintain that by writing a custom
user->kernel marshalling library, you could obtain better peformance than
9P though, because you could take advantage of lots of machine specific
optimizations. Hell you could even pass things in register if you'd have
<= 4 args. :)

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 04:00:15

by Alexander Viro

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chris Lattner wrote:

> > > Err... how about this: Give me two or three kORBit syscalls and I can get
> > > rid of all the other 100+ syscalls! :)
>
> > Like it ioctl() does it? Number of entry points is _not_ an issue. Diversity
> > of the API is. Technically, kernel has 1 (_o_n_e_) entry point as far as
> > userland is concerned. int 0x80 on x86. Can't beat that, can you?
>
> Err shame on you, don't forget about lcall and exceptions, and interrupts,
> and... That is technically more than _o_n_e_ "entry point". :) Oh wait,
> what about sysenter/exit too? :)

OK, you got me on lcall (however, that's iBCS-only, IIRC), but the rest...
what the hell does userland to interrupts? <thinks> OK, make it 2 - pagefault
can be arguably used in that way.

> No I can't beat that. But if you look at the hack job of a system call
> table we have, you can see that there is no _really_ standard way of
> passing parameters. Oh sure, most of the time, stuff is passed in
> registers. Sometimes we get a pointer to an argument struct. Because of
> this wonderful design we get all kinds of stuff like sys_oldumount vs
> sys_umount and others...

Check how often anything uses the majority of that stuff...

> > Yes, standard RPC mechanism would be nice. No, CORBA is not a good candidate -
> > too baroque and actually known to lead to extremely tasteless APIs being
> > implemented over it. Yes, I mean GNOME. So sue me.
>
> Hrm... because I'm stupid, please explain how CORBA is too baroque... I

Check 9P and compare. Really. Section 5 of Plan 9 manpages. Available on
plan-9.bell-labs.com/sys/man/

> have no problem with you not liking GNOME... you're a kernel hacker, so
> you're not supposed to like GUI's. :) [just kidding!!!] CORBA doesn't
> preclude nasty APIs any more than C does. It also doesn't preclude *nice*
> APIs that are upgradable and extensible in the future (and that means
> without breaking backwards compatibility). Please don't tell me that OOP
> is bad... or else we will have the eviscerate the VFS layer from the
> kernel (amount other subsystems)... :)

OOP is a nice tool. However, it's a tool that has incredible potential of
shooting one's foot. It's wonderful if you have sane set of methods. And
that's a _big_ if. "Easily extensible" is not an absolutely good thing -
C++ wankers all over the world are busily proving it every day. Heck, they
make a living out of that. IOW, the problem with interface changes is _not_
in converting the old code. It's in choosing the right changes. And that
part of the game can't be simplified.

> > I would take 9P over that any day, thank you very much.
>
> Like I mentioned in a previous email, CORBA does not preclude 9P. What
> it does buy you though, is compatibility with LOTS of preexisting CORBA
> tools. How much development infrastructure is there for 9P? I thought
> so. :)

All UNIX userland on the client side. lib9p on the server side (23Kb of sparse
C). Examples of use in servers - see the aforementioned site.

> For one of our demos, we ran a file server on a remote linux box (that we
> just had a user account on), mounted it on a kORBit'ized box, and ran
> programs on SPARC Solaris that accessed the kORBit'ized linux box's file
> syscalls. If nothing else, it's pretty nifty what you can do in little
> code...

Duh. And what's new about that?

2000-12-14 04:07:55

by Michael Rothwell

> Also, 9P is a general communications framework only in the context of
> Plan9 itself. In reality it only applys directly/well to filesystem
> related issues... the reason it works well in Plan9 is that _everything_
> is a file (part of the beauty of plan9).

So... in a 9P-enabled system, you write a regular server program that
uses read(), write(), etc. to use the local (or another, remote) 9P
system and exports some interface over the network protocol and
encapsulation format of your choice. In your case, CORBA over IIOP or
something. :)

-M

2000-12-14 04:12:57

by Alexander Viro

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chris Lattner wrote:

> /me trims down CC list...
>
> > Local? Funny. It lives atop of TCP or IL quite fine. What's
> > even funnier, I can use it to export /proc from CPU server to workstation
> > and use _that_ for remote debugging. Ditto for window system. Ditto for
> > DNS. Ditto for plumber. No, not on Linux...
>
> No not on linux. No definately not on Windows, no not on the BSD's
> either. Oops, wasn't interoperability an important part of the Linux
> kernel design? Didn't we want to use and follow and define _real_
> standards?

Erm... 9P stub exists for Linux. It exists for FreeBSD. I suspect that
it exists for other *BSD too - never checked that.

> > What you do is mapping your RPC to hierarchical namespace. After
> > that... What extensibility do you need? You can use every utility written
> > for core UNIX API (open()/read()/write()/close()) as a client. No need
> > to reinvent the wheel...
>
> Heh, that's interesting. _getting_ the data isn't hard in 9P, actually
> using it or displaying it in a meaningful way commonly requires something
> more than cat. :)

Same for any other RPC mechanism.

> The overriding problem with a simplistic 9P port is that linux kernel
> functionality is not very well modularized. In fact, this prevents
> wonderful CORBA integration as well: An agressive filesystem (for
> example) often likes to touch the buffer cache or even the VM layer
> (*cough*) directly. Some don't use the prescribed interfaces, because
> nothing enforces it. 9P works wonderfully for Plan9 because they had the
> luxery of redefining/rewriting the whole OS, and the whole interaction
> with user space processes. We, unfortunately, don't have that
> possibility. :)

Notice that they _don't_ export random internal APIs to userland.

> Please don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to other ideas, and 9P may in
> fact turn out to be a very nice protocol that would be able to support
> much kORBit level functionality). I do maintain that by writing a custom
> user->kernel marshalling library, you could obtain better peformance than
> 9P though, because you could take advantage of lots of machine specific
> optimizations. Hell you could even pass things in register if you'd have
> <= 4 args. :)

You mentioned OOP, didn't you? Encapsulation is a good thing and what you
are talking about is "layering violations made Real Easy(tm)".

I simply don't see why _that_ is a good goal.

2000-12-14 04:14:17

by Chris Lattner

> > Err shame on you, don't forget about lcall and exceptions, and interrupts,
> > and... That is technically more than _o_n_e_ "entry point". :) Oh wait,
> > what about sysenter/exit too? :)
> OK, you got me on lcall (however, that's iBCS-only, IIRC), but the rest...
> what the hell does userland to interrupts? <thinks> OK, make it 2 - pagefault
> can be arguably used in that way.

The reason that I considered exceptions and interrupts is that often,
exceptions get reflected as signals to the running processes (SIGSEGV,
SIGFPE, SIGILL, others?), and interrupts can wake up processes (from
sys_poll among others). I was considering more of the user->kernel and
kernel->user transitions... anyways, that's really besides the point. :)

> > this wonderful design we get all kinds of stuff like sys_oldumount vs
> > sys_umount and others...
> Check how often anything uses the majority of that stuff...

Correct, it's for backwards compatibility with old programs (for example
libc5 uses a lot of those "old" syscalls).

> > > Yes, standard RPC mechanism would be nice. No, CORBA is not a good
> candidate - > > too baroque and actually known to lead to extremely
> tasteless APIs being > > implemented over it. Yes, I mean GNOME. So

> Check 9P and compare. Really. Section 5 of Plan 9 manpages. Available on
> plan-9.bell-labs.com/sys/man/

That's fine. Since the server is down (or the URL is bad), can you please
give me an example of how 9P is better than CORBA? I freely admit to not
knowing much about 9P... how much do you know about CORBA (aside from
your opinion that GNOME uses it, and therefore it is bad. ;)?

> > without breaking backwards compatibility). Please don't tell me that OOP
> > is bad... or else we will have the eviscerate the VFS layer from the
> > kernel (amount other subsystems)... :)

> OOP is a nice tool. However, it's a tool that has incredible potential of
> shooting one's foot. It's wonderful if you have sane set of methods. And
> that's a _big_ if. "Easily extensible" is not an absolutely good thing -
> C++ wankers all over the world are busily proving it every day. Heck, they
> make a living out of that. IOW, the problem with interface changes is _not_
> in converting the old code. It's in choosing the right changes. And that
> part of the game can't be simplified.

Oif. That's like telling someone that C is evil because it has for loops,
and for loops can be used to write nasty code. "just write in
assembler" he says. :) I would claim that someone could write a bad
program (or shoot themselves in the foot) with any turing complete
language. C++ definately give you more rope to do that with, but used
wisely, it can also be nice. The trick is to just not have to work with
other peoples C++ code. :) Hey, did I mention that kORBit and all its
extensions are written in C? :)

> > Like I mentioned in a previous email, CORBA does not preclude 9P. What
> > it does buy you though, is compatibility with LOTS of preexisting CORBA
> > tools. How much development infrastructure is there for 9P? I thought
> > so. :)

> All UNIX userland on the client side. lib9p on the server side (23Kb of sparse
> C). Examples of use in servers - see the aforementioned site.

Err... yeah, so you're effectively mapping UNIX/POSIX across 9P. That's
not very creative, and you could do the same thing with CORBA. I ask
again, "How much development infrastructure is there for 9P?". If you say
"just use unix", then what is the point of 9P at all? (on linux). Linux
already has most of posix (and some would claim all of the "good
stuff" in posix.).

> > For one of our demos, we ran a file server on a remote linux box (that we
> > just had a user account on), mounted it on a kORBit'ized box, and ran
> > programs on SPARC Solaris that accessed the kORBit'ized linux box's file
> > syscalls. If nothing else, it's pretty nifty what you can do in little
> > code...
> Duh. And what's new about that?

The "new" part is that our servers were < 100 lines of code each. Compare
that to kNFS. :)

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 04:24:29

by Chris Lattner

> > either. Oops, wasn't interoperability an important part of the Linux
> > kernel design? Didn't we want to use and follow and define _real_
> > standards?
> Erm... 9P stub exists for Linux. It exists for FreeBSD. I suspect that
> it exists for other *BSD too - never checked that.

Okay, so there are _stubs_ for these platforms. How many languages are
there bindings for? What about Win32 (gross I know, but at least for now,
it is important)? What about OS/2 what about Amiga and palm? CORBA is
very popular for certain things... even inferno isn't nearly as big...

> > Heh, that's interesting. _getting_ the data isn't hard in 9P, actually
> > using it or displaying it in a meaningful way commonly requires something
> > more than cat. :)
> Same for any other RPC mechanism.

Of course. Which is why CORBA is about putting STRUCTURE in that stream
of random bytes coming over the wire. Why should I have to rewrite my
marshalling and demarshalling code every time I want to write a
server. read and write are fine. But sometimes I want a
structure. Sometimes, my structures aren't laid out like C struct's
either. What then? What if I want to send an "object" to you?

> > nothing enforces it. 9P works wonderfully for Plan9 because they had the
> > luxery of redefining/rewriting the whole OS, and the whole interaction
> > with user space processes. We, unfortunately, don't have that
> > possibility. :)
> Notice that they _don't_ export random internal APIs to userland.

And neither do we. Beautiful isn't it? :)

> > Please don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to other ideas, and 9P may in
> > fact turn out to be a very nice protocol that would be able to support
> > much kORBit level functionality). I do maintain that by writing a custom
> > user->kernel marshalling library, you could obtain better peformance than
> > 9P though, because you could take advantage of lots of machine specific
> > optimizations. Hell you could even pass things in register if you'd have
> > <= 4 args. :)
>
> You mentioned OOP, didn't you? Encapsulation is a good thing and what you
> are talking about is "layering violations made Real Easy(tm)".
> I simply don't see why _that_ is a good goal.

I completely fail to see how I'm breaking encapsulation or making layering
violations easy. Why I'm talking about is the fact that CORBA doesn't
care how you ship bytes around: it's a higher level protocol that cares
about shipping "things" around. Bytes are old school, "stuff" is the wave
of the future. ;) heh.

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 04:36:52

by Alexander Viro

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chris Lattner wrote:

> > plan-9.bell-labs.com/sys/man/

Arrgh. s/plan-9/plan9/. My apologies.

> Err... yeah, so you're effectively mapping UNIX/POSIX across 9P. That's
> not very creative, and you could do the same thing with CORBA. I ask
> again, "How much development infrastructure is there for 9P?". If you say
> "just use unix", then what is the point of 9P at all? (on linux). Linux
> already has most of posix (and some would claim all of the "good
> stuff" in posix.).

IDGI. What 9P gives is an RPC mechanism that uses normal (as in "named streams
of characters") representation on the client side and very light-weight
library on the server side. It looks like you are trying to do a mechanism
that would export arbitrary _internal_ kernel APIs. I really don't see
what you would want it for.

Notice that exporting a kernel API is possible right now and you don't
need _any_ RPC for that. Check procfs/devfs/shmfs/etc. RPC comes into
the game when you want to export the piece of namespace to other box
or when userland server wants to export its stuff into namespace.

IOW, you don't export internal interfaces via RPC, you publish them
as a filesystem and then use RPC if you want to access it from another
box. Where it looks like filesystem, again.

_Another_ issue is with the stuff like plumber when you want to talk
with userland program via filesystem, but you seem to be talking about
something that looks like the first kind of situation...

2000-12-14 04:45:03

by Chris Lattner

> > > plan-9.bell-labs.com/sys/man/
> Arrgh. s/plan-9/plan9/. My apologies.

Cool, thanks, will read. :)

> IDGI. What 9P gives is an RPC mechanism that uses normal (as in "named streams
> of characters") representation on the client side and very light-weight
> library on the server side. It looks like you are trying to do a mechanism
> that would export arbitrary _internal_ kernel APIs. I really don't see
> what you would want it for.

Which is exactly why it doesn't work well for many applications. The
problem is this: how do you get from a byte stream to a structured data
stream? There are many answers:

1. Keep your data structures so simple, that it's obvious. Not a good
choice. :)
2. Defined interfaces to the bytestream for every interface that you
define.
3. Define a standard for inflating/deflating "things" into
bytestreams. Oh wait, that's what corba does. :)

The point of the matter is that CORBA gives you a nice, clean, well
supported method of not having to write marshalling/demarshalling code
every time you want to use an interface. Not only that, it lets you
define "fast paths" for special cases (ie, with user level corba, if you
are communicating between two objects in the same processes, you can do
direct calls and do no marshalling). These fast paths do not interfere
with the generality of the system at all.

The 9P way of doing things is not fundementally new, they just applied the
idea that "everything is a file" more broadly. What annoys me is that it
is not immediately obvious how to "demarshall" the data that comes out of
/dev/mouse for example. Combine that with the problem that /dev/mouse
might change format in the future (okay stupid example, but you get the
idea) to use floating point coordinates, and things certainly get hairy.

Why reinvent the wheel countless times?

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 04:55:44

by Chip Salzenberg

According to Alexander Viro:
> 9P is quite simple and unlike CORBA it had been designed for taking
> kernel stuff to userland. Besides, authors definitely understand
> UNIX...

As nice as 9P is, it'll need some tweaks to work with Linux.
For example, it limits filenames to 30 characters; that's not OK.
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <[email protected]>
"Give me immortality, or give me death!" // Firesign Theatre

2000-12-14 04:55:45

by Alexander Viro

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chris Lattner wrote:

> > > either. Oops, wasn't interoperability an important part of the Linux
> > > kernel design? Didn't we want to use and follow and define _real_
> > > standards?
> > Erm... 9P stub exists for Linux. It exists for FreeBSD. I suspect that
> > it exists for other *BSD too - never checked that.
>
> Okay, so there are _stubs_ for these platforms. How many languages are
> there bindings for?

Grr... Let's define the terms, OK? What is available: kernel code that
represents the client side of RPC as a filesystem. Userland clients do
not know (or care) about the mechanisms involved.

> > You mentioned OOP, didn't you? Encapsulation is a good thing and what you
> > are talking about is "layering violations made Real Easy(tm)".
> > I simply don't see why _that_ is a good goal.
>
> I completely fail to see how I'm breaking encapsulation or making layering
> violations easy. Why I'm talking about is the fact that CORBA doesn't
> care how you ship bytes around: it's a higher level protocol that cares
> about shipping "things" around. Bytes are old school, "stuff" is the wave
> of the future. ;) heh.

And files with structure are things of dreadful past. BTDT.
You really need to... work with an OS that would have and enforce
"structured files" <spit> to appreciate the beauty of ASCII streams.

However, that's a different story. What I _really_ don't understand
is the need to export anything structured from kernel to userland.

IOW, I would really like to see a description of use of your
mechanism. If it's something along the lines of "let's take a network
card driver, implement it in userland and preserve the current API" -
see the comment about layering violations. You've taken an internal
API and exposed it to userland in all gory details. See also your own
comment about internal APIs being not convenient for such operations.
If it's something else - I wonder what kind of objects you are talking
about and why opaque stuff (== file descriptors) would not be sufficient.

2000-12-14 04:58:47

by Alexander Viro

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> According to Alexander Viro:
> > 9P is quite simple and unlike CORBA it had been designed for taking
> > kernel stuff to userland. Besides, authors definitely understand
> > UNIX...
>
> As nice as 9P is, it'll need some tweaks to work with Linux.
> For example, it limits filenames to 30 characters; that's not OK.

For RPC-style uses? Why?

2000-12-14 05:11:37

by Chris Lattner

Subject: Re: CORBA vs 9P

> > Okay, so there are _stubs_ for these platforms. How many languages are
> > there bindings for?
> Grr... Let's define the terms, OK? What is available: kernel code that
> represents the client side of RPC as a filesystem. Userland clients do
> not know (or care) about the mechanisms involved.

But they DO CARE about the format of the data.

> And files with structure are things of dreadful past. BTDT.
> You really need to... work with an OS that would have and enforce
> "structured files" <spit> to appreciate the beauty of ASCII streams.

Ahhh, so ASCII streams are a wonderful thing. Are you an XML fan? :)

> However, that's a different story. What I _really_ don't understand
> is the need to export anything structured from kernel to userland.

Okay, how about a few examples. How about /proc/meminfo? How about the
"stat" structure? How about /proc/stat? You seem to be indicating that
ASCII files are fine for general exportation of kernel information. The
/proc filesystem begs to differ. One specific example is the
/proc/meminfo file. Why is it that one field is 0 now? Ouch we can't
change the format of the file because we'll break some program. Crap, you
want to add a field, well, tough luck.

The struct stat example is one _trivial_ example of "the need to export
anything structured from kernel to userland".

> IOW, I would really like to see a description of use of your
> mechanism. If it's something along the lines of "let's take a network
> card driver, implement it in userland and preserve the current API" -
> see the comment about layering violations. You've taken an internal
> API and exposed it to userland in all gory details. See also your own
> comment about internal APIs being not convenient for such operations.

I'm not trying to dictate interfaces. I'm not trying to tell people what
to use this stuff for. I'm arguing that it's useful and that you can do
very interesting things with it.

> If it's something else - I wonder what kind of objects you are talking
> about and why opaque stuff (== file descriptors) would not be sufficient.

Opaque stuff is fine. I have no problem with file descriptors. They
effectively solve the exact same class of problems that CORBA does, except
that they add significant _API BLOAT_ because every little "method" that
implements them gets a syscall. Oh yeah, they you get ioctl
too. Funness. :)

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 05:15:17

by Chip Salzenberg

According to Alexander Viro:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > According to Alexander Viro:
> > > 9P is quite simple and unlike CORBA it had been designed for taking
> > > kernel stuff to userland. Besides, authors definitely understand
> > > UNIX...
> >
> > As nice as 9P is, it'll need some tweaks to work with Linux.
> > For example, it limits filenames to 30 characters; that's not OK.
>
> For RPC-style uses? Why?

For the same reason C compilers recognize more than eight significant
characters in externals, even though ANSI doesn't require them to.
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <[email protected]>
"Give me immortality, or give me death!" // Firesign Theatre

2000-12-14 05:16:07

by Alexander Viro

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Which is exactly why it doesn't work well for many applications. The
> problem is this: how do you get from a byte stream to a structured data
> stream? There are many answers:
>
> 1. Keep your data structures so simple, that it's obvious. Not a good
> choice. :)
> 2. Defined interfaces to the bytestream for every interface that you
> define.
> 3. Define a standard for inflating/deflating "things" into
> bytestreams. Oh wait, that's what corba does. :)

OK, now I'm completely confused.
* which complex data structures do you want to export from the kernel
in non-opaque way?
* which of those structures are guaranteed to remain unchanged?
* if you have userland-to-userland RPC in mind - why put anything
marshalling-related into the kernel?

> The 9P way of doing things is not fundementally new, they just applied the
> idea that "everything is a file" more broadly. What annoys me is that it
> is not immediately obvious how to "demarshall" the data that comes out of
> /dev/mouse for example. Combine that with the problem that /dev/mouse
> might change format in the future (okay stupid example, but you get the
> idea) to use floating point coordinates, and things certainly get hairy.

HUH? OK, suppose it had happened. Do you really expect that you will not
need to change your applications? I mean, if you expected a bunch of
ints and received a bunch of doubles... You either need to decide on
rounding (and it's a non-obvious question) or you need to change quite a
bit of code in your program. It goes way past the demarshalling, no
matter whether you use CORBA, 9P or printf/scanf.

OK, suppose you have a CORBA-based system and mouse drivers' API had been
changed - they really want to return floating point coordinates. How will
CORBA help you? Aside of making your programs scream aloud, that is.

2000-12-14 05:17:57

by Alexander Viro

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> According to Alexander Viro:
> > On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > > According to Alexander Viro:
> > >
> > > As nice as 9P is, it'll need some tweaks to work with Linux.
> > > For example, it limits filenames to 30 characters; that's not OK.
> >
> > For RPC-style uses? Why?
>
> For the same reason C compilers recognize more than eight significant
> characters in externals, even though ANSI doesn't require them to.

s/30/255/ and you've got a big problem with ext2...

2000-12-14 05:23:58

by Chip Salzenberg

According to Alexander Viro:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > According to Alexander Viro:

> > > For RPC-style uses? Why?
> >
> > For the same reason C compilers recognize more than eight significant
> > characters in externals, even though ANSI doesn't require them to.
>
> s/30/255/ and you've got a big problem with ext2...

As long as names are to be created, or at least understood, by humans,
there will be some limit on *usable* length. In my experience, 255 is
above that limit, but 30 is below it. And I cut my teeth on a system
that had exactly that length limitation (UNOS).
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <[email protected]>
"Give me immortality, or give me death!" // Firesign Theatre

2000-12-14 05:28:19

by Alexander Viro

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chris Lattner wrote:

> > > Okay, so there are _stubs_ for these platforms. How many languages are
> > > there bindings for?
> > Grr... Let's define the terms, OK? What is available: kernel code that
> > represents the client side of RPC as a filesystem. Userland clients do
> > not know (or care) about the mechanisms involved.
>
> But they DO CARE about the format of the data.

And how would CORBA help here? Because format changes are usually coming
from the _contents_ changes. And if you don't care about the contents -
why the hell do you retrieve the object int the first place?

> > And files with structure are things of dreadful past. BTDT.
> > You really need to... work with an OS that would have and enforce
> > "structured files" <spit> to appreciate the beauty of ASCII streams.
>
> Ahhh, so ASCII streams are a wonderful thing. Are you an XML fan? :)

No, thanks.

> > However, that's a different story. What I _really_ don't understand
> > is the need to export anything structured from kernel to userland.
>
> Okay, how about a few examples. How about /proc/meminfo? How about the
> "stat" structure? How about /proc/stat? You seem to be indicating that
> ASCII files are fine for general exportation of kernel information. The

Yes, _if_ you take care to think what you are exporting. /proc/meminfo is
a shi..ning example of _not_ doing that over many years.

> /proc filesystem begs to differ. One specific example is the
> /proc/meminfo file. Why is it that one field is 0 now? Ouch we can't
> change the format of the file because we'll break some program. Crap, you
> want to add a field, well, tough luck.

Oh, cool. So CORBA would magically change the definition of the structure in
your (C/Modula-3/APL/COBOL) programs. How? And what would happen with the
code that used to access the field in question?

> The struct stat example is one _trivial_ example of "the need to export
> anything structured from kernel to userland".

It's a trivial example of "why you need to think before deciding what to
export".

> > IOW, I would really like to see a description of use of your
> > mechanism. If it's something along the lines of "let's take a network
> > card driver, implement it in userland and preserve the current API" -
> > see the comment about layering violations. You've taken an internal
> > API and exposed it to userland in all gory details. See also your own
> > comment about internal APIs being not convenient for such operations.
>
> I'm not trying to dictate interfaces. I'm not trying to tell people what
> to use this stuff for. I'm arguing that it's useful and that you can do
> very interesting things with it.

And when interface changes, you do what, exactly?

> > If it's something else - I wonder what kind of objects you are talking
> > about and why opaque stuff (== file descriptors) would not be sufficient.
>
> Opaque stuff is fine. I have no problem with file descriptors. They
> effectively solve the exact same class of problems that CORBA does, except
> that they add significant _API BLOAT_ because every little "method" that
> implements them gets a syscall.

Huh? Could you elaborate, please?

2000-12-14 05:30:58

by Chris Lattner

> OK, now I'm completely confused.
> * which complex data structures do you want to export from the kernel
> in non-opaque way?
> * which of those structures are guaranteed to remain unchanged?
> * if you have userland-to-userland RPC in mind - why put anything
> marshalling-related into the kernel?

Okay, I think I did my best to completely confuse you. :) #1: CORBA
objects _are_ opaque. #2 is irrelevant due to #1. #3: userland->userland
is not the interesting part. We want kernel->userland or user->kernel, as
the common (ie fast) case, but we also want to do client->client or
kernel->kernel without anything breaking.

> > /dev/mouse for example. Combine that with the problem that /dev/mouse
> > might change format in the future (okay stupid example, but you get the
> > idea) to use floating point coordinates, and things certainly get hairy.

> HUH? OK, suppose it had happened. Do you really expect that you will not
> need to change your applications? I mean, if you expected a bunch of

YES. You should not have to change your apps at all.

> ints and received a bunch of doubles... You either need to decide on
> rounding (and it's a non-obvious question) or you need to change quite a
> bit of code in your program. It goes way past the demarshalling, no
> matter whether you use CORBA, 9P or printf/scanf.

NO. You want leagacy program to "just get" rounded ints, and new programs
to get the "full precision" of the floating point #'s.

> OK, suppose you have a CORBA-based system and mouse drivers' API had been
> changed - they really want to return floating point coordinates. How will
> CORBA help you? Aside of making your programs scream aloud, that is.

Okay, maybe this isn't a terrible example afterall. :) Consider this
theoretical API for a mouse, that I'm certainly not saying is wonderful or
perfect, just consider it to be an example (on the fly), and no it
doesn't let you poll for mouse activity, this is just off the cuff:

Original interface for the mouse:

interface mouse {
void getPosition(out long X, out long Y);
};

So if you get the mouse interface in CORBA (which is an opaque object),
you get back something that you can make requests to, and, for example,
get the coordinate the mouse is currently at. Okay, that's fine, 15 years
later and after much legacy software has been developed, company X
develops a new high precions floating point mouse. Well crap, don't want
to change the interface. Now instead of getting that, you get the
"mouse2" or "floaty mouse" interface (for sake of argument suppose that
we actually did want to use FP arithmetic in the kernel, that's an
artifact of a bad example, not a bad point :):

interface floatymouse : extends mouse {
void getFloatyPosition(out float X, out float Y);
}

Now people that get the "/dev/mouse" interface get a floatymouse. Does
this break all that leagacy mouse wielding code? No, because we used
inheritance, the floatymouse is a superset of the mouse, and the original
interface still works. The server/kernel side of the floaty mouse just
chops off the decimal places when you use the getPosition method.

This is the kind of stuff that I'm talking about. The concept that a
mouse is more than a byte stream... that there is actual structure that
must be understood before a datastream can be used.

Yes, I am very aware that there are other ways of doing this, but CORBA is
a very general & powerful system that is also quite mature (unlike
kORBit. ;)

I hope this helps clarify what the heck I'm talking about. :)

-Chris

btw, just imagine how much cleaner the mount interface could be... ;)

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 05:34:08

by Chris Lattner

I think that I addressed most if not all of this email in my previous
one... let me know if I missed something.

-Chris

btw, thanks for putting up with me, I know I can be obstinate
sometimes. :)

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:

> [...]
> > > see the comment about layering violations. You've taken an internal
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > API and exposed it to userland in all gory details. See also your own
> > > comment about internal APIs being not convenient for such operations.
> >
> > I'm not trying to dictate interfaces. I'm not trying to tell people what
> > to use this stuff for. I'm arguing that it's useful and that you can do
> > very interesting things with it.
>
> And when interface changes, you do what, exactly?
>
> > > If it's something else - I wonder what kind of objects you are talking
> > > about and why opaque stuff (== file descriptors) would not be sufficient.
> >
> > Opaque stuff is fine. I have no problem with file descriptors. They
> > effectively solve the exact same class of problems that CORBA does, except
> > that they add significant _API BLOAT_ because every little "method" that

2000-12-14 05:46:52

by Alexander Viro

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> As long as names are to be created, or at least understood, by humans,
> there will be some limit on *usable* length. In my experience, 255 is
> above that limit, but 30 is below it. And I cut my teeth on a system
> that had exactly that length limitation (UNOS).

Maybe... I definitely agree that 14 is below the limit, but 30... Hell knows,
from what I see on the box I'm using right now it seems to fall into several
cathegories:
* Very-Long-And-Verbose-Named-HOWTO.html
* manpages for X and Tcl functions with obscenely long names
* *.deb and corresponding *.diff.gz and *.dsc
* var/state/apt/lists/*
* ghostscript maps
Hmm... Cutoff seems to sit somewhere around 45 - above that there are only
apt-get droppings and they definitely are over the top. Dunno, you may be
right, but looks like I never had a need to create anything that long.

2000-12-14 05:53:54

by David Feuer

At 12:15 AM 12/14/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Hmm... Cutoff seems to sit somewhere around 45 - above that there are only
>apt-get droppings and they definitely are over the top. Dunno, you may be
>right, but looks like I never had a need to create anything that long.

It's always good to be able to include at least two date-time pairs in a
filename... especially for scientific stuff.

--
This message has been brought to you by the letter alpha and the number pi.
Open Source: Think locally; act globally.

by Alexander Viro

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chris Lattner wrote:

> > OK, now I'm completely confused.
> > * which complex data structures do you want to export from the kernel
> > in non-opaque way?
> > * which of those structures are guaranteed to remain unchanged?
> > * if you have userland-to-userland RPC in mind - why put anything
> > marshalling-related into the kernel?
>
> Okay, I think I did my best to completely confuse you. :) #1: CORBA
> objects _are_ opaque. #2 is irrelevant due to #1. #3: userland->userland
> is not the interesting part. We want kernel->userland or user->kernel, as
> the common (ie fast) case, but we also want to do client->client or
> kernel->kernel without anything breaking.

> > ints and received a bunch of doubles... You either need to decide on
> > rounding (and it's a non-obvious question) or you need to change quite a
> > bit of code in your program. It goes way past the demarshalling, no
> > matter whether you use CORBA, 9P or printf/scanf.
>
> NO. You want leagacy program to "just get" rounded ints, and new programs
> to get the "full precision" of the floating point #'s.

What rounded ints? Rounded to zero? To nearest integer? To plus or minus
infinity? Does program have something to say here?

> Original interface for the mouse:
>
> interface mouse {
> void getPosition(out long X, out long Y);
> };
>
> So if you get the mouse interface in CORBA (which is an opaque object),
> you get back something that you can make requests to, and, for example,
> get the coordinate the mouse is currently at. Okay, that's fine, 15 years
> later and after much legacy software has been developed, company X
> develops a new high precions floating point mouse. Well crap, don't want
> to change the interface. Now instead of getting that, you get the
> "mouse2" or "floaty mouse" interface (for sake of argument suppose that
> we actually did want to use FP arithmetic in the kernel, that's an
> artifact of a bad example, not a bad point :):
>
> interface floatymouse : extends mouse {
> void getFloatyPosition(out float X, out float Y);
> }
>
> Now people that get the "/dev/mouse" interface get a floatymouse. Does
> this break all that leagacy mouse wielding code? No, because we used
> inheritance, the floatymouse is a superset of the mouse, and the original
> interface still works. The server/kernel side of the floaty mouse just
> chops off the decimal places when you use the getPosition method.

Oh, great. So we don't have to care about formatting changes. We just
have to care about the data changes. IOW, we are shielded from the
results of changes that should never happen in the first place. And the
benefit being...?

Notice that we could equally well add /dev/floatymouse and everything that
worked with old API would keep working. The only programs that would need
to know about floats would be ones that would... need to know about floats
since they want to work with them.

Notice also that I can say ls /dev/*mouse* and get some idea of the files
there. I can't do that for your interfaces.

The point being: if your program spends efforts on marshalling it would
better _do_ something with the obtained data. And then we are back to
the square 1.

Returning to your example, I could not tee(1) the stream into file for
later analysis. Not unless I write a special-case program for intercepting
that stuff. I don't see why it is a good thing.

I also don't see where the need in new system calls (or ioctls, same shit)
comes from. Notice that your way is much closer to new system call than
read()/write() of the right stuff.

As for the proc/meminfo... What would you do to a userland programmer who
had defined a structure like that? Let's see: way too large, ugly as hell,
many fields are almost guaranteed to become meaningless at later point...
It was not designed, it got accreted. And that's very mild description -
judging by results it might as well be s/ac/ex/.

2000-12-14 06:53:27

by Chris Lattner

> > NO. You want leagacy program to "just get" rounded ints, and new programs
> > to get the "full precision" of the floating point #'s.

> What rounded ints? Rounded to zero? To nearest integer? To plus or minus
> infinity? Does program have something to say here?

The exact same thing that older mouse drivers did. In this particular
case, it doesn't matter anyways, because it's a simple example. If you
REALLY care about rounding those coordinates a certain way, it's trivial
to add an extra component to the interface.

> My mouse example

> Oh, great. So we don't have to care about formatting changes. We just
> have to care about the data changes. IOW, we are shielded from the
> results of changes that should never happen in the first place. And the
> benefit being...?

What the hell are you talking about? Did you even read my example? I was
giving an example of extending an API, adding new functionality to it.

> Notice that we could equally well add /dev/floatymouse and everything that
> worked with old API would keep working. The only programs that would need
> to know about floats would be ones that would... need to know about floats
> since they want to work with them.

Wonderful solution. This is exactly what you would _have_ to do. Are you
aware of why devfs came into existence? It is because there are already
so damn many device nodes in /dev. Lets keep adding more.

Why is it (for example) that on my machine (mandrake 7 install, no devfs),
I automatically get inodes for ISDN & PPP!?! Well, because ISDN has a
slightly different interface, and you're talking to a different driver
that is not transparently hidden to the user. Why can't I just open
/dev/net0 and get the first network device? Because we have so many
inconsistent, poorly design, inextensible interfaces laying around, thats
why.

> Notice also that I can say ls /dev/*mouse* and get some idea of the files
> there. I can't do that for your interfaces.

And you know what? I can't do ls /dev/*net* and get all the network
devices either. Actually, one of the very cool things about CORBA is that
you can BROWSE/LIST/SEARCH all objects currently instantiated. Being
able to browse all in kernel objects would be very cool.

> The point being: if your program spends efforts on marshalling it would
> better _do_ something with the obtained data. And then we are back to
> the square 1.

Uh huh, go ahead and read the example I sent to you.

> Returning to your example, I could not tee(1) the stream into file for
> later analysis. Not unless I write a special-case program for intercepting
> that stuff. I don't see why it is a good thing.

On the contrary, it would be pretty easy to do something like that with
CORBA. No you wouldn't be able to use tee, but why would you want to tee
a binary data file? The only reason that tee works in this situation is
because it's agnostic to the format of the data coming off the
line... your analysis program would have to have special purpose code to
parse the file. EVERY consumer of "mouse data" would have to parse the
file. That seems pretty silly to me.

> I also don't see where the need in new system calls (or ioctls, same shit)
> comes from. Notice that your way is much closer to new system call than
> read()/write() of the right stuff.

A new syscall was one example. It would be very simple to implement this
by making _yet_another_ device node in /dev and issue reads and writes to
it. That's more of a syntactic issue than a symantic one.

> As for the proc/meminfo... What would you do to a userland programmer who
> had defined a structure like that? Let's see: way too large, ugly as hell,
> many fields are almost guaranteed to become meaningless at later point...
> It was not designed, it got accreted. And that's very mild description -
> judging by results it might as well be s/ac/ex/.

There is no provision in CORBA that prevents the creation of ugly
interfaces. There is no provision in C that prevents them either, as
witnessed by this example. At least with CORBA, I can extend the
interface to actually return meaningful results while still maintaining
backwards compatibility with programs that don't actually look at that
field (as is done now by sticking the 0 in there).

The trick is having enough foresight to design robust interfaces. I'm not
saying that I'm an expert at that, and obviously nobody can be. What I
_am_ saying is that CORBA/kORBit gives you flexibility in how you do
interfaces, and it lets you "future proof" them (obviously only within
reason). Adding a new device node everytime an API gets changed is like
defining a different API for every hard disk that exists. Seems kinda
silly.

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 07:54:28

by Alexander Viro

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Chris Lattner wrote:

> > Oh, great. So we don't have to care about formatting changes. We just
> > have to care about the data changes. IOW, we are shielded from the
> > results of changes that should never happen in the first place. And the
> > benefit being...?
>
> What the hell are you talking about? Did you even read my example? I was
> giving an example of extending an API, adding new functionality to it.

Yes, I did. What I don't understand is how kernel mechanism for marshalling
would make your life easier wrt changes.

> > Notice that we could equally well add /dev/floatymouse and everything that
> > worked with old API would keep working. The only programs that would need
> > to know about floats would be ones that would... need to know about floats
> > since they want to work with them.
>
> Wonderful solution. This is exactly what you would _have_ to do. Are you
> aware of why devfs came into existence? It is because there are already
> so damn many device nodes in /dev. Lets keep adding more.

And? The only _wrong_ thing here is storing that stuff on a physical disk.
Let the driver export the filesystem and union-mount it on /dev. End of
story. Or mount it anywhere else, whatever place makes you happy. It's not
like we were eating majors/minors that way...

> > Notice also that I can say ls /dev/*mouse* and get some idea of the files
> > there. I can't do that for your interfaces.
>
> And you know what? I can't do ls /dev/*net* and get all the network
> devices either. Actually, one of the very cool things about CORBA is that
> you can BROWSE/LIST/SEARCH all objects currently instantiated. Being
> able to browse all in kernel objects would be very cool.

So what's to stop you from letting readdir() do the work? WTF do we need
one more API for returning the list of objects?

> > The point being: if your program spends efforts on marshalling it would
> > better _do_ something with the obtained data. And then we are back to
> > the square 1.
>
> Uh huh, go ahead and read the example I sent to you.

Did that.

> > Returning to your example, I could not tee(1) the stream into file for
> > later analysis. Not unless I write a special-case program for intercepting
> > that stuff. I don't see why it is a good thing.
>
> On the contrary, it would be pretty easy to do something like that with
> CORBA. No you wouldn't be able to use tee, but why would you want to tee
> a binary data file? The only reason that tee works in this situation is

For the same reasons why I use tar, gzip, whatever. I don't _want_ to
invent a new utility every time when Joe Doe adds a new piece of interface.
Data is data is data. I can uuencode it and send to somebody who would
care to analize the bloody thing. Do you mean that I need to write a
special tool for that? For _every_ member of every interface somebody
decided to add? I don't think so. I really don't.

> because it's agnostic to the format of the data coming off the

Exactly.

> line... your analysis program would have to have special purpose code to
> parse the file. EVERY consumer of "mouse data" would have to parse the

Or I would look at the size. Or I would say od and look at the result. Don't
tell me what to do with the data, when I'll need to parse it I will. And
if you expect me to bother with writing more stuff when generic tools would
work fine - too bad, I've been there, done that and I'm not coming back.

BTW, you cared about size of /dev, didn't you? /usr/bin choke-full of tee-foo,
tee-bar, yodda, yodda would be better?

> file. That seems pretty silly to me.

Difference between good program and bad one: the former gets used in ways
its authors never thought about...

> > I also don't see where the need in new system calls (or ioctls, same shit)
> > comes from. Notice that your way is much closer to new system call than
> > read()/write() of the right stuff.
>
> A new syscall was one example. It would be very simple to implement this
> by making _yet_another_ device node in /dev and issue reads and writes to
> it. That's more of a syntactic issue than a symantic one.

No, it isn't. The difference being: letting driver to define a filesystem
and mounting/exporting it/whatever means that you get to use _all_ _normal_
_data-agnostic_ _tools_. And believe me, it matters. If you don't understand
that - no offense, but you don't understand UNIX.

To get this stuff working without excessive PITA you'll need to teach
userland about the new mechanism. Shells, mailers, archivers, backup, you
name it. It might be an interesting OS, but it sure as hell wouldn't be
UNIX and what's worse, it doesn't exist.

Mix of that CORBA_OS and UNIX would be extremely nasty. I have a serious
suspicion that CORBA_OS in itself would be a wonderful illustration to
"Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language", but that's
another story (BTW, that paper may make an interesting reading - check
http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/bwk-on-pascal.html).

Sigh... OK, as far as I'm concerned we are in the dead-end - data-agnostic
tools are very useful and I don't believe that you can convince me in the
contrary. If it leaves something to discuss - you are welcome. If it doesn't
we probably ought to stop wasting the bandwidth and agree that we disagree.

2000-12-14 08:34:01

by josef h??k

Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> According to Alexander Viro:
> > 9P is quite simple and unlike CORBA it had been designed for taking
> > kernel stuff to userland. Besides, authors definitely understand
> > UNIX...
>
> As nice as 9P is, it'll need some tweaks to work with Linux.
> For example, it limits filenames to 30 characters; that's not OK.
> --
> Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <[email protected]>
> "Give me immortality, or give me death!" // Firesign Theatre

Another thing in mind that if we would want to use 9P we would also need to
port IL .

/joh

2000-12-14 08:40:02

by Alexander Viro

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, josef [iso-8859-1] h??k wrote:

> Chip Salzenberg wrote:
>
> > According to Alexander Viro:
> > > 9P is quite simple and unlike CORBA it had been designed for taking
> > > kernel stuff to userland. Besides, authors definitely understand
> > > UNIX...
> >
> > As nice as 9P is, it'll need some tweaks to work with Linux.
> > For example, it limits filenames to 30 characters; that's not OK.
> > --
> > Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <[email protected]>
> > "Give me immortality, or give me death!" // Firesign Theatre
> >

> Another thing in mind that if we would want to use 9P we would also need to
> port IL .

It can live atop of TCP, it can live atop of AF_UNIX. IL would be nice for
more than one reason, though...

2000-12-14 09:52:49

by josef h??k

Chris Lattner wrote:

> [...]
> other peoples C++ code. :) Hey, did I mention that kORBit and all its
> extensions are written in C? :)
>
> > > Like I mentioned in a previous email, CORBA does not preclude 9P. What
> > > it does buy you though, is compatibility with LOTS of preexisting CORBA
> > > tools. How much development infrastructure is there for 9P? I thought
> > > so. :)
>
> > All UNIX userland on the client side. lib9p on the server side (23Kb of sparse
> > C). Examples of use in servers - see the aforementioned site.
>
> Err... yeah, so you're effectively mapping UNIX/POSIX across 9P. That's
> not very creative, and you could do the same thing with CORBA. I ask
> again, "How much development infrastructure is there for 9P?". If you say
> "just use unix", then what is the point of 9P at all? (on linux). Linux
> already has most of posix (and some would claim all of the "good

Plan9 aint unix/posix though it has its Ape environment.
What we do need to look at is a good implementation for distributed resources.
The ideal would bee getting 9P and IL into linux. Think of having thousand of small

linux boxes dedicated to either run as a CPU server or a Fileserver or whatever
service there is.
kOrbit is good idea in theory (havent looked at the code yet) though the drawback
with corba is that is
client/server oriented.The advantage of 9P/IL is that it's a small protocol for
distributing services, objects, devices on a file basis. Different computers can
act as a server or client transparent to the users. 9P is still a client server
protocol in a manner of users and services ( files ) instead of the "old" thinking
of pc's and servers.

/josef

> > > For one of our demos, we ran a file server on a remote linux box (that we
> > > just had a user account on), mounted it on a kORBit'ized box, and ran
> > > programs on SPARC Solaris that accessed the kORBit'ized linux box's file
> > > syscalls. If nothing else, it's pretty nifty what you can do in little
> > > code...
> > Duh. And what's new about that?
>
> The "new" part is that our servers were < 100 lines of code each. Compare
> that to kNFS. :)
>
> -Chris
>
> http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
> http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
> http://korbit.sourceforge.net/
>
> -

by Oystein Viggen

Alexander Viro spake thus:

> Maybe... I definitely agree that 14 is below the limit, but 30... Hell knows,
> from what I see on the box I'm using right now it seems to fall into several
> cathegories:
> * Very-Long-And-Verbose-Named-HOWTO.html
> * manpages for X and Tcl functions with obscenely long names
> * *.deb and corresponding *.diff.gz and *.dsc
> * var/state/apt/lists/*
> * ghostscript maps

* Metallica - Master of Puppets.mp3

Oystein ;)

2000-12-14 10:00:51

by Larry McVoy

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 10:23:15AM +0100, josef h??k wrote:
> Plan9 aint unix/posix though it has its Ape environment.
> What we do need to look at is a good implementation for distributed resources.
> The ideal would bee getting 9P and IL into linux. Think of having thousand of small
>
> linux boxes dedicated to either run as a CPU server or a Fileserver or whatever
> service there is.

In the who cares department: this idea was one of the main reasons I founded
BitMover, it's what we wanted to do before we got sidetracked by BitKeeper.

So you have my vote, and if anyone does this, I'll be pissed as hell because
I wanted to do it, but happy that it's getting done. If you look at lmbench,
it's basically designed to measure all the crud that you would need to make
this sort of thing go fast. So I've been thinking about this for at least
6 years. Sigh.
--
---

by Alan

> There is a large perception of CORBA being slow, but for the most part it
> is unjustified. I believe that the act of _designing_ a completely new
> protocol, standardizing it, and making it actually work would be a huge
> process that would basically reinvent CORBA (obviously some of the design
> decisions could be made differently, but all the same issues would have be
> dealt with).

CORBA is slow compared to some of the other solutions. The question I was
trying to ask is whether you should put something smaller and faster into the
kernel space and leave CORBA in userland. It's complex, it has security
implications surely it belongs talking something simple and fast to the kernel.

If you look at microkernels they talk a much simpler faster rpc protocol.

2000-12-14 10:42:05

by Larry McVoy

[Alan DID not say this:]
> > There is a large perception of CORBA being slow, but for the most part it
> > is unjustified.

Really? I have that same perception but I can't claim that I've measured it.
On the other hand, I have measured the overhead of straight UDP, TCP, and
Sun RPC ping/pong tests and you can find the code for that in any version
of lmbench. It should be a 5 minute task for someone who groks corba to
do the same thing using the same framework. If someone wants to do it,
I'll guide them through the lmbench stuff. It's pretty trivial, start
with this as a guide:
/*
* tcp_xact.c - simple TCP transaction latency test
*
* Three programs in one -
* server usage: tcp_xact -s
* client usage: tcp_xact hostname
* shutdown: tcp_xact -hostname
*
* Copyright (c) 1994 Larry McVoy. Distributed under the FSF GPL with
* additional restriction that results may published only if
* (1) the benchmark is unmodified, and
* (2) the version in the sccsid below is included in the report.
* Support for this development by Sun Microsystems is gratefully acknowledged.
*/
char *id = "$Id$\n";

#include "bench.h"

void client_main(int ac, char **av);
void doserver(int sock);
void doclient(int sock);
void server_main(int ac, char **av);
void doserver(int sock);

int
main(int ac, char **av)
{
if (ac != 2) {
fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s -s OR %s [-]serverhost\n",
av[0], av[0]);
exit(1);
}
if (!strcmp(av[1], "-s")) {
if (fork() == 0) {
server_main(ac, av);
}
exit(0);
} else {
client_main(ac, av);
}
return(0);
}

void
client_main(int ac, char **av)
{
int sock;
char *server;
char buf[100];

if (ac != 2) {
fprintf(stderr, "usage: %s host\n", av[0]);
exit(1);
}
server = av[1][0] == '-' ? &av[1][1] : av[1];
sock = tcp_connect(server, TCP_XACT, SOCKOPT_NONE);

/*
* Stop server code.
*/
if (av[1][0] == '-') {
close(sock);
exit(0);
}

BENCH(doclient(sock), MEDIUM);
sprintf(buf, "TCP latency using %s", av[1]);
micro(buf, get_n());
exit(0);
/* NOTREACHED */
}

void
doclient(int sock)
{
char c;

write(sock, &c, 1);
read(sock, &c, 1);
}

void
child()
{
wait(0);
signal(SIGCHLD, child);
}

void
server_main(int ac, char **av)
{
int newsock, sock;

if (ac != 2) {
fprintf(stderr, "usage: %s -s\n", av[0]);
exit(1);
}
GO_AWAY;
signal(SIGCHLD, child);
sock = tcp_server(TCP_XACT, SOCKOPT_NONE);
for (;;) {
newsock = tcp_accept(sock, SOCKOPT_NONE);
switch (fork()) {
case -1:
perror("fork");
break;
case 0:
doserver(newsock);
exit(0);
default:
close(newsock);
break;
}
}
/* NOTREACHED */
}

void
doserver(int sock)
{
char c;
int n = 0;

while (read(sock, &c, 1) == 1) {
write(sock, &c, 1);
n++;
}

/*
* A connection with no data means shut down.
*/
if (n == 0) {
tcp_done(TCP_XACT);
kill(getppid(), SIGTERM);
exit(0);
}
}
--
---

by Michael Livshin

Chris Lattner <[email protected]> writes:

> > p9fs exists. I didn't see these patches since August, but probably I can poke
> > Roman into porting it to the current tree. 9P is quite simple and unlike
> > CORBA it had been designed for taking kernel stuff to userland. Besides,
> > authors definitely understand UNIX...
>
> One thing that you might want to mention Alexander: 9P is not a general
> communications protocol. In fact, it doesn't work very well across the
> internet at all. To get decent performance, the Plan9 group (which, is a
> very cool group. :) has to specify a new protocol that competes with TCP
> on the level of complexity (IL: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/il/il.html)

this might be because the Bell Labs folks don't like RPC in general
when network latencies become involved? I'm guessing.

'cause CORBA is still pretty much objectified RPC, as far as I know.
I don't think you want to abstract the network out just like that when
dealing with kernels.

--
Entropy isn't what it used to be.

2000-12-14 14:22:43

by josef h??k

I surely hope that this thread wont end here. It's extremely important to look
at this since we're heading towards distributed resources, where humans dont
work on a server but towards other people through servers.

/josef

2000-12-14 17:07:01

by Jamie Lokier

Alexander Viro wrote:
> > Err... how about this: Give me two or three kORBit syscalls and I can get
> > rid of all the other 100+ syscalls! :)
>
> Like it ioctl() does it? Number of entry points is _not_ an issue. Diversity
> of the API is. Technically, kernel has 1 (_o_n_e_) entry point as far as
> userland is concerned. int 0x80 on x86. Can't beat that, can you?

If there's one thing that could be nicer, ioctl() would be it.
ioctl() works ok in C and terribly in everything else.
CORBA works well in scripting languages and Java, and sucks in C
compared with a simple ioctl().

Is there a way to marry the best sides of each?

Is 9P that way (I don't know much about it)?

-- Jamie

2000-12-14 17:18:14

by Rik van Riel

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chris Lattner wrote:

> 1. kORBit adds about 150k of code to the 2.4t10 kernel.
> 2. kNFS adds about 100k of code to the 2.4t10 kernel.
> 3. kORBit can do everything kNFS does, plus a WHOLE lot more: For example
> implement an NFS like server that uses SSL to send files and
> requests... so it is really actually "secure".

So can you implement a kNFS server in kORBit that takes
less than 50kB of RAM? Otherwise it's still a contributor
to bloat and this argument won't work ;)

I guess it's time to stop the flaming and to see what can
be achieved using kORBit. The people who favour kORBit should
IMHO be left alone and given the opportunity to show what can
be achieved with kORBit ... if they don't achieve anything,
the nay-sayers can always claim their "victory"; if something
useful comes out the kORBit people can claim usefulness.

regards,

Rik
--
Hollywood goes for world dumbination,
Trailer at 11.

http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com.br/

2000-12-14 17:20:04

by Chris Lattner

> > 1. kORBit adds about 150k of code to the 2.4t10 kernel.
> > 2. kNFS adds about 100k of code to the 2.4t10 kernel.

> So can you implement a kNFS server in kORBit that takes
> less than 50kB of RAM? Otherwise it's still a contributor
> to bloat and this argument won't work ;)

Actually the kORBitNFS server would have to take -50K of code to break
even. :) The point was that kORBit lets you do a lot more... so
hopefully that 50k of generality gives you something. :)

> I guess it's time to stop the flaming and to see what can
> be achieved using kORBit. The people who favour kORBit should
> IMHO be left alone and given the opportunity to show what can
> be achieved with kORBit ... if they don't achieve anything,
> the nay-sayers can always claim their "victory"; if something
> useful comes out the kORBit people can claim usefulness.

Agreed!

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 17:54:17

by Chris Lattner

> >that is not transparently hidden to the user. Why can't I just open
> >/dev/net0 and get the first network device? Because we have so many
> >inconsistent, poorly design, inextensible interfaces laying around, thats
> >why.

> This is a bad example, but a (perhaps?) good point. It seems it should be
> possible to implement an unlimited number of TCP/IP devices, each

Part of my argument is that although every kernel interface boils down to
something as simple as ioctl (where you have lots of api's multiplexed
onto one data sink, int 0x80 is another example, kORBit is another), some
ways of doing this multiplexing are better than others. I look at it as a
hierarchy:

1. CORBA/kORBit
2. int 80/lcall
3. ioctl

Each level is more structured than those below it. Each interface is also
"cleaner" than those below it. I don't think that anyone would argue that
we should replace int 80 and friends with an interface in the spirit of
ioctl (even though it would be functionally identical).

> representing a connection, and each connected, disconnected, etc. by
> ioctls... Of course, I could be way wrong about this....

ioctl's... they come up again. Everytime that I look at the beautiful,
clean, abstract interface that Unix exposes... it makes me happy. But
unfortunately, if you look closer, you realize that the Unix API isn't
really clean or nice at all... there is this dumping ground for odds and
ends that don't fit into the standard model. So when you show someone the
standard model, it looks clean and pretty... but someone always forgets to
mention ioctl.

I would claim that ioctl is one of the biggest reasons that kORBit needs
to exist. See below.

> >I can't do ls /dev/*net* and get all the network
> >devices either. Actually, one of the very cool things about CORBA is that

> Different network devices are _very_ different... You can't broadcast on a
> modem, for instance, nor can you use promiscuous mode on a modem... You
> also can't do byte-by-byte raw mode on an ethernet...

Precisely. But they do all have very common interfaces. For example, the
standard network interface would probably have "transmit/receive
block" and "getstatus" commands. This does not mean that they cannot
implement other interfaces, however.

Imagine this situation for writing your packet sniffer:

1. You open up /dev/net0 and get the Network interface
2. You query the network interface to see if it has an implementation
of the promiscuous interface.
3. If not, you bail, because it doesn't support it.
4. If, you go ahead and use it.

Contrast that to:

1. Survey all the different interfaces that are known (at development time
of course) to have promiscuous interfaces.
2. Find out which ones are active.
3. Depending on what kind of interface it is, load a library that can
understand the byte format comming off the device.
4. Use that library.

The problems with the second (currently used) approach is that the
APPLICATION writer has to keep up with new hardware developments and new
interfaces. They have to understand and code parsers for the bytestreams
coming from each device, which (as you mentioned) are all different,
because they all support different (although overlapping) extensions.

All of these calls that currently get dumped into ioctl (because they are
not important enough to warrant an API function at the top level) suddenly
become well structure and well designed interfaces. For example, if your
device doesn't support the terminal handling ioctls the system has to
basically figure that out and report errors on it. With CORBA/kORBit, you
would just not implement that interface... so if someone asked for it,
they would get a null pointer to the interface, which they check for and
realize that it's impossible to do terminal stuff on.

isatty (an example of an IOCTL wrapper) suddenly becomes implicit and the
API is cleaner...

I have no problem with the "unix way", but I do think that it can be
augmented in some ways...

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 17:55:37

by Fredrik Vraalsen

* Rik van Riel

| On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chris Lattner wrote:
|
| > 1. kORBit adds about 150k of code to the 2.4t10 kernel.
| > 2. kNFS adds about 100k of code to the 2.4t10 kernel.
| > 3. kORBit can do everything kNFS does, plus a WHOLE lot more: For example
| > implement an NFS like server that uses SSL to send files and
| > requests... so it is really actually "secure".
|
| So can you implement a kNFS server in kORBit that takes
| less than 50kB of RAM? Otherwise it's still a contributor
| to bloat and this argument won't work ;)

Well, kORBit itself is bigger than kNFS, but like Chris said, it can
do much more. :)

For testing kORBit we wrote a new filesystem CorbaFS. The CorbaFS
client is a kernel module that basically forwards the Linux VFS calls
to the userspace CorbaFS server.

According to lsmod, the CorbaFS module takes up only 11KB of RAM.
Keep in mind that CorbaFS is currently only a proof-of-concept of the
kernel calling into userspace through kORBit (it is a read-only
filesystem at the moment, for example). But it should give you some
idea.

The cool thing is that the CorbaFS userspace server can implement any
kind of filesystem you want, as long as it follows the CorbaFS
interface! The current implementation exports the filesystem on the
host machine that it is running on, similar to NFS. But we also have
ideas for FTP or web filesystems, for example. Imagine being able to
mount the web CorbaFS onto /mnt/www and do a

cat /mnt/www/http://www.kernel.org/index.html

and the CorbaFS userspace server takes care of loading the webpage and
returning it to the kernel client. And these new filesystems don't
take up any extra space in the kernel, since they all talk to the same
CorbaFS kernel module! Not to mention being able to implement the
filesystem in any language you like, debug the implementation in
userspace, etc.

--
Fredrik Vraalsen - Research Assistant, Pablo research group
Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at U-C

2000-12-14 18:01:27

by Elliot Lee

On 14 Dec 2000, Michael Livshin wrote:

> this might be because the Bell Labs folks don't like RPC in general
> when network latencies become involved? I'm guessing.
>
> 'cause CORBA is still pretty much objectified RPC, as far as I know.
> I don't think you want to abstract the network out just like that when
> dealing with kernels.

OK, since everyone seems to want to argue about this on orbit-list for
some reason, my $0.02:
CORBA/IIOP is saner than SunRPC in a lot of ways, and it's not too
horribly more complicated to implement a barebones ORB than a
barebones SunRPC impl.

Comments about CORBA being too slow are nonsense - it's just that
a few crackheads have tried to stick ORBit in the kernel as a
global IPC mechanism, which it really is not suitable for. CORBA
has its place, and a GIOP mapping to a kernel-friendly IPC
mechanism (instead of TCP/IP) would certainly make it more useful
in the kernel, but generic mechanisms such as CORBA cannot by
definition be as fast as IPC mechanisms optimized for a specific
task.

People like Al Viro, who haven't written GNOME programs of any
size and certainly don't have mounds of in-depth knowledge of it,
should probably shut up about about its API & design. :)

TTFN,
-- Elliot
No new ideas for my .sig, and Alan told me my old one was an urban myth, so just
ignore this.

2000-12-14 18:03:37

by Chris Lattner

> > There is a large perception of CORBA being slow, but for the most part it
> > is unjustified. I believe that the act of _designing_ a completely new

> CORBA is slow compared to some of the other solutions. The question I was
> trying to ask is whether you should put something smaller and faster into the
> kernel space and leave CORBA in userland.

What I'm trying to show is that CORBA itself is not slow. CORBA can be
thought of as an IDEA, and the current implementations are
suboptimal. For example, no CORBA implementation has been tweaked to run
well in-kernel. Because of this, people will say that CORBA sucks and is
slow, but that's not true.

I will agree that IIOP (the standardized corba communication mechanism) is
much slower and more complex than we would want for a generalized
user->kernel communication mechanism. The nice thing about CORBA is that
you can design your own transport to optimize things. Thus 99% of the
time you could use a heavily optimized, very simple transport that doesn't
do much. This is what you are asking for, and it make perfect
sense. What CORBA buys you is the ability to use this streamlined
interface without giving up full generality...

> It's complex, it has security
> implications surely it belongs talking something simple and fast to the kernel.

First off, there are a lot of complex systems in the kernel. :)
Second, there are not security implications above and beyond any normal
kernel hacking. The reason that kORBit has security implications right
now is that there _IS NO SECURITY_. Imagine implementing sys_read with
no checks of what uid is running, and you get the idea.

Actually security in CORBA can be done BETTER in kernel space than in user
space, but I digress...

> If you look at microkernels they talk a much simpler faster rpc protocol.

Yes but for the most part they lose all of the advantages of CORBA as
well. For example, every microkernel that I'm aware of can only talk to
remote servers/clients that are running the same microkernel on the remote
machine. There are no provisions for byte swapping if the endianness is
incorrect or for having structured bytestreams (so that you can tell
things about the raw bytes coming over the line without understanding them
all).

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 18:07:07

by Jamie Lokier

Fredrik Vraalsen wrote:
> The cool thing is that the CorbaFS userspace server can implement any
> kind of filesystem you want, as long as it follows the CorbaFS
> interface!

Sorry, it's yet another one. Or does it do something different?
(YAO hasn't stopped me working on userspace filesystems either :-)

> The current implementation exports the filesystem on the
> host machine that it is running on, similar to NFS. But we also have
> ideas for FTP or web filesystems, for example. Imagine being able to
> mount the web CorbaFS onto /mnt/www and do a
>
> cat /mnt/www/http://www.kernel.org/index.html
>
> and the CorbaFS userspace server takes care of loading the webpage and
> returning it to the kernel client. And these new filesystems don't
> take up any extra space in the kernel, since they all talk to the same
> CorbaFS kernel module! Not to mention being able to implement the
> filesystem in any language you like, debug the implementation in
> userspace, etc.

A bit like CodaFS and Perlfs. Except, being CORBA, you can run the
userspace server remotely? ;-) <evil grin>

-- Jamie

2000-12-14 18:08:47

by Chris Lattner

> > > There is a large perception of CORBA being slow, but for the most part it
> > > is unjustified.
>
> Really? I have that same perception but I can't claim that I've measured it.
> On the other hand, I have measured the overhead of straight UDP, TCP, and
> Sun RPC ping/pong tests and you can find the code for that in any version
> of lmbench. It should be a 5 minute task for someone who groks corba to
> do the same thing using the same framework. If someone wants to do it,
> I'll guide them through the lmbench stuff. It's pretty trivial, start

Urm... thanks for the offer... but you misunderstand me if you think that
I'm claiming that kORBit is the ideal/fast implementation that everyone
has been looking for. There is still much to be done. :)

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 18:33:58

by Chris Lattner

> > > Oh, great. So we don't have to care about formatting changes. We just
> > > have to care about the data changes. IOW, we are shielded from the
> > > results of changes that should never happen in the first place. And the
> > > benefit being...?
> >
> > What the hell are you talking about? Did you even read my example? I was
> > giving an example of extending an API, adding new functionality to it.
>
> Yes, I did. What I don't understand is how kernel mechanism for marshalling
> would make your life easier wrt changes.

I gave a very simple example of how an interface could be designed and
then later extended without breaking any user space programs. Please
reread the example and tell me precisely what doesn't make sense, and I
would be glad to explain it better.

> > > Notice also that I can say ls /dev/*mouse* and get some idea of the files
> > > there. I can't do that for your interfaces.

> > And you know what? I can't do ls /dev/*net* and get all the network
> > devices either. Actually, one of the very cool things about CORBA is that
> > you can BROWSE/LIST/SEARCH all objects currently instantiated. Being
> > able to browse all in kernel objects would be very cool.

> So what's to stop you from letting readdir() do the work? WTF do we need
> one more API for returning the list of objects?

Urm.. that was the point. You don't add a new API (it's built into corba,
along with introspection). Also, like I JUST MENTIONED, readdir will have
no way of knowing what is a network device in the quagmire of stuff
floating around in /dev. (ls *net* does actually call readdir ya
know. Perhaps you should read up more on unix... [sorry couldn't help
it. ;])

> > > The point being: if your program spends efforts on marshalling it would
> > > better _do_ something with the obtained data. And then we are back to
> > > the square 1.
> > Uh huh, go ahead and read the example I sent to you.
> Did that.

So they you understand that no interface was broken even though more data
is now available...

> > > Returning to your example, I could not tee(1) the stream into file for
> > > later analysis. Not unless I write a special-case program for intercepting
> > > that stuff. I don't see why it is a good thing.

> > On the contrary, it would be pretty easy to do something like that with
> > CORBA. No you wouldn't be able to use tee, but why would you want to tee
> > a binary data file? The only reason that tee works in this situation is

> For the same reasons why I use tar, gzip, whatever. I don't _want_ to
> invent a new utility every time when Joe Doe adds a new piece of interface.
> Data is data is data. I can uuencode it and send to somebody who would
> care to analize the bloody thing. Do you mean that I need to write a
> special tool for that? For _every_ member of every interface somebody
> decided to add? I don't think so. I really don't.

That's fine, I don't blame you. Ya know what? I even agree with you
(image that? hehe :). You seem to forget that a CORBA object is exactly
the same thing: a stream of bytes. Actually it does better than
that. It's a stream of bytes that you can introspect on and determine the
structure of. Imaging this. You have a bytestream flowing out of some
pipe/device/socket/file/whatever and you pipe it to a
"Decode" program. The decode program spits this out:

sequence <
struct {
float
float
}>

This example is meant to illustrate that _in a general way_ you can decode
the structure of the bytestream. (hence my claims about CORBA adding
structure to a standard bytestream)... this is quite a bit more useful
than trying to figure out what 'cat' is trying to tell you about binary
data (especially if it's floating point numbers).

> > line... your analysis program would have to have special purpose code to
> > parse the file. EVERY consumer of "mouse data" would have to parse the

> Or I would look at the size. Or I would say od and look at the result. Don't
> tell me what to do with the data, when I'll need to parse it I will. And
> if you expect me to bother with writing more stuff when generic tools would
> work fine - too bad, I've been there, done that and I'm not coming back.

Heh... I'm not trying to replace od or cat or tee or pipes. What I'm
trying to do is give you a larger toolkit that gives you MORE
power. Imagine you want to get the first float value (of each struct) of
the above stream. Imagine a functional scripting language where you could
do this (haskell syntax stolen gratitously):

cat /dev/floatymouse | funcwith 'map fst'

Which you could then point to the "decode" type program mentioned above,
and you would now get:

sequence<float>

> BTW, you cared about size of /dev, didn't you? /usr/bin choke-full of tee-foo,
> tee-bar, yodda, yodda would be better?

You wouldn't have to replace the standard utilities. Sorry to rain on
your parade.

> > file. That seems pretty silly to me.
> Difference between good program and bad one: the former gets used in ways
> its authors never thought about...

*cough* see above.

> > > I also don't see where the need in new system calls (or ioctls, same shit)
> > > comes from. Notice that your way is much closer to new system call than
> > > read()/write() of the right stuff.
> >
> > A new syscall was one example. It would be very simple to implement this
> > by making _yet_another_ device node in /dev and issue reads and writes to
> > it. That's more of a syntactic issue than a symantic one.
>
> No, it isn't. The difference being: letting driver to define a filesystem
> and mounting/exporting it/whatever means that you get to use _all_ _normal_
> _data-agnostic_ _tools_. And believe me, it matters. If you don't understand
> that - no offense, but you don't understand UNIX.

Ouch.

/me digs around and puts on thick skin

Okay, fine. You want to talk unix. You proclaim that this beautiful
infalliable API is simple open/close/read/write calls on stanardized
devices, right? What about ioctl? What about the HUGE class of crap that
has fallen into ioctl? You can't run a system without ioctl. You can't
operate a terminal without ioctl. What happened to your beautiful
pristine API? ioctl eats it for breakfast. What I'm offering is a way of
sorting out all that crap and standardizing it.

What I'm basically claiming here is that any API that lets you call
ioctl(TCXONC) on a socket is broken. It just means that you have to check
for that error someplace: oh yeah, in the kernel.

> To get this stuff working without excessive PITA you'll need to teach
> userland about the new mechanism. Shells, mailers, archivers, backup, you
> name it. It might be an interesting OS, but it sure as hell wouldn't be
> UNIX and what's worse, it doesn't exist.

I'm sorry for trying to suggest that there are interesting things that you
can do in a UNIX framework, that were not invented 30 years ago.

> Mix of that CORBA_OS and UNIX would be extremely nasty. I have a serious
> suspicion that CORBA_OS in itself would be a wonderful illustration to
> "Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language", but that's
> another story (BTW, that paper may make an interesting reading - check
> http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/bwk-on-pascal.html).

Uh huh. I fail to see what pascal has to do with this. And yes, I read
that paper _years_ ago.

> Sigh... OK, as far as I'm concerned we are in the dead-end - data-agnostic
> tools are very useful and I don't believe that you can convince me in the
> contrary. If it leaves something to discuss - you are welcome. If it doesn't
> we probably ought to stop wasting the bandwidth and agree that we disagree.

It is entirely possible that we will never agree, but that does not
mean that this discussion is worthless. I think it's good to get the
ideas and the potential out in the open so that others can form their
own opinions. "I can only show you the door..." :)

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-14 19:42:29

by Alexander Viro

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Chris Lattner wrote:

> > Yes, I did. What I don't understand is how kernel mechanism for marshalling
> > would make your life easier wrt changes.
>
> I gave a very simple example of how an interface could be designed and
> then later extended without breaking any user space programs. Please
> reread the example and tell me precisely what doesn't make sense, and I
> would be glad to explain it better.

What does it win compared to adding new file and allowing new programs use
it while the old ones keep using the old one? That's precisely the same
situation, isn't it?

> > So what's to stop you from letting readdir() do the work? WTF do we need
> > one more API for returning the list of objects?
>
> Urm.. that was the point. You don't add a new API (it's built into corba,
> along with introspection). Also, like I JUST MENTIONED, readdir will have
> no way of knowing what is a network device in the quagmire of stuff
> floating around in /dev. (ls *net* does actually call readdir ya
> know. Perhaps you should read up more on unix... [sorry couldn't help
> it. ;])

Cool. We don't have network devices represented as fs. We could have,
but nobody had really cared. Guess what, I know that. It's _not_ a good
thing. What you propose is expanding the area of brokenness.

> structure of. Imaging this. You have a bytestream flowing out of some
> pipe/device/socket/file/whatever and you pipe it to a
> "Decode" program. The decode program spits this out:

Is it separated on per-object streams?

> Heh... I'm not trying to replace od or cat or tee or pipes. What I'm
> trying to do is give you a larger toolkit that gives you MORE
> power. Imagine you want to get the first float value (of each struct) of
> the above stream. Imagine a functional scripting language where you could
> do this (haskell syntax stolen gratitously):
>
> cat /dev/floatymouse | funcwith 'map fst'

No problems with that. But notice that you did introduce a new device here.

> > No, it isn't. The difference being: letting driver to define a filesystem
> > and mounting/exporting it/whatever means that you get to use _all_ _normal_
> > _data-agnostic_ _tools_. And believe me, it matters. If you don't understand
> > that - no offense, but you don't understand UNIX.
>
> Ouch.
>
> /me digs around and puts on thick skin
>
> Okay, fine. You want to talk unix. You proclaim that this beautiful
> infalliable API is simple open/close/read/write calls on stanardized
> devices, right? What about ioctl? What about the HUGE class of crap that

ioctl() is avoidable. Proof: Plan 9. They don't _have_ that system call.
It doesn't mean that we should (or could) remove it. It _does_ mean that
new APIs do not need it.

And I'm quite serious. ioctl() is used in too many programs to kill it
off (compatibility reasons). No arguments here. However, looking back
at these cases... All of them could be done without ioctl(). Moreover,
it had been done. Says something about the need of adding new ioctls,
doesn't it?

Instead of having a metric buttload of device nodes in /dev you have
drivers export filesystems. You can mount them anywhere you want.
These filesystems can contain both devices and control files. Writing
commands to control file gives you a replacement of ioctl(). It
actually works quite nicely.

As long as you separate the data streams for different objects and
give them some names, so they can be intercepted, etc. - fine with
me. There's nothing wrong with having a library for marshalling.
There's nothing wrong with having it in the kernel too, BTW.
However, _that_ is completely independent from any form of transport.
All you need is "export a piece of namespace to another box".

2000-12-14 22:42:01

by Mike Coleman

Subject: Re: [Korbit-cvs] Re: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit (and ioctl must die!)

Alexander Viro <[email protected]> writes:
> ioctl() is avoidable. Proof: Plan 9. They don't _have_ that system call.
> It doesn't mean that we should (or could) remove it. It _does_ mean that
> new APIs do not need it.

*I* sure wish we could. From the standpoint of trying to trace system calls,
it's a big stinking black hole. All of the other syscalls (I think) have
pretty well defined semantics in terms of what they do to a process' memory
space, but the semantics of ioctl are "may read or write any memory
whatsoever, and if you want to know what, well, it sucks to be you".

Even NT does this better, if I'm interpreting this correctly:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/winbase/devio_9quk.htm

--Mike

--
[O]ne of the features of the Internet [...] is that small groups of people can
greatly disturb large organizations. --Charles C. Mann

2000-12-15 10:47:15

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> For one of our demos, we ran a file server on a remote linux box (that we
> just had a user account on), mounted it on a kORBit'ized box, and ran
> programs on SPARC Solaris that accessed the kORBit'ized linux box's file
> syscalls. If nothing else, it's pretty nifty what you can do in little
> code...

Cool!

However, can you do one test for me? Do _heavy_ writes on kORBit-ized
box. That might show you some problems. Oh, and try to eat atomic
memory by ping -f kORBit-ized box.

I've always wanted to do this: redirect /dev/dsp from one machine to
another. (Like, I have development machine and old 386. I want all
programs on devel machine use soundcard from 386. Can you do that?)

Pavel

--
I'm [email protected]. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at [email protected]

2000-12-15 10:55:15

by josef h??k

Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > For one of our demos, we ran a file server on a remote linux box (that we
> > just had a user account on), mounted it on a kORBit'ized box, and ran
> > programs on SPARC Solaris that accessed the kORBit'ized linux box's file
> > syscalls. If nothing else, it's pretty nifty what you can do in little
> > code...
>
> Cool!
>
> However, can you do one test for me? Do _heavy_ writes on kORBit-ized
> box. That might show you some problems. Oh, and try to eat atomic
> memory by ping -f kORBit-ized box.
>
> I've always wanted to do this: redirect /dev/dsp from one machine to
> another. (Like, I have development machine and old 386. I want all
> programs on devel machine use soundcard from 386. Can you do that?)
>
> Pavel

In Plan9 you can.
/joh

2000-12-15 10:59:35

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > It was just an example. Basically, you'd be able to do in with just
> > about any language that has ORBit bindings.
> >
> > Ben Ford wrote:
> > > Why would you *ever* want to write a device driver in perl???
> >

> Precisely... but also, there could be a case where perl would make
> sense. Consider an FTP filesystem. There performance is not dictated by
> the speed of the language, it's limited by bandwidth. It could make sense
> to write your almighty FTPfs like this:
>
> 1. Prototype it in Perl, get all the bugs out.
> 2. Rewrite in C in userspace, get all the bugs out.
> 3. recompile/relink in kernel space with no source modifications
> 4. ship product. :)

Bad example, as (with codafs), you can do this safely & nicely without
korbit. See http://uservfs.sourceforge.net/
Pavel
--
I'm [email protected]. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at [email protected]

2000-12-15 17:49:01

by Chris Lattner

> > For one of our demos, we ran a file server on a remote linux box (that we
> > just had a user account on), mounted it on a kORBit'ized box, and ran
> > programs on SPARC Solaris that accessed the kORBit'ized linux box's file
> > syscalls. If nothing else, it's pretty nifty what you can do in little
> > code...
>
> Cool!
>
> However, can you do one test for me? Do _heavy_ writes on kORBit-ized
> box. That might show you some problems. Oh, and try to eat atomic
> memory by ping -f kORBit-ized box.

I'll give that a try when I get a chance. :)

> I've always wanted to do this: redirect /dev/dsp from one machine to
> another. (Like, I have development machine and old 386. I want all
> programs on devel machine use soundcard from 386. Can you do that?)

Yes. Definately. There are probably other ways of doing that... but one
of the things we implemented was a "generic" character device... and we
tested it by having a chardev server that basically reads from a
"local" (to the server) character device, and forward it over CORBA. So
this is already implemented! :)

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-15 20:46:10

by Mikulas Patocka

Hi.

> > For one of our demos, we ran a file server on a remote linux box (that we
> > just had a user account on), mounted it on a kORBit'ized box, and ran
> > programs on SPARC Solaris that accessed the kORBit'ized linux box's file
> > syscalls. If nothing else, it's pretty nifty what you can do in little
> > code...
>
> Cool!
>
> However, can you do one test for me? Do _heavy_ writes on kORBit-ized
> box. That might show you some problems.

I guess that when you mmap large files over nfs and write to them, you get
similar problems.

> Oh, and try to eat atomic memory by ping -f kORBit-ized box.

When linux is out of atomic memory, it will die anyway.

Mikulas

2000-12-15 20:57:15

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > > For one of our demos, we ran a file server on a remote linux box (that we
> > > just had a user account on), mounted it on a kORBit'ized box, and ran
> > > programs on SPARC Solaris that accessed the kORBit'ized linux box's file
> > > syscalls. If nothing else, it's pretty nifty what you can do in little
> > > code...
> >
> > Cool!
> >
> > However, can you do one test for me? Do _heavy_ writes on kORBit-ized
> > box. That might show you some problems.
>
> I guess that when you mmap large files over nfs and write to them, you get
> similar problems.
>
> > Oh, and try to eat atomic memory by ping -f kORBit-ized box.
>
> When linux is out of atomic memory, it will die anyway.

Why should it die? It is quite easy to make machine run out of atomic
memory: just bomb it with lots of packets. It should recover, eventually

--
The best software in life is free (not shareware)! Pavel
GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+

2000-12-15 21:11:04

by Mikulas Patocka

> > > Cool!
> > >
> > > However, can you do one test for me? Do _heavy_ writes on kORBit-ized
> > > box. That might show you some problems.
> >
> > I guess that when you mmap large files over nfs and write to them, you get
> > similar problems.
> >
> > > Oh, and try to eat atomic memory by ping -f kORBit-ized box.
> >
> > When linux is out of atomic memory, it will die anyway.
>
> Why should it die?

Because it is written badly :-(

> It is quite easy to make machine run out of atomic
> memory: just bomb it with lots of packets. It should recover, eventually

Mikulas

2000-12-15 22:48:39

by Alan

> I guess that when you mmap large files over nfs and write to them, you get
> similar problems.
>
> > Oh, and try to eat atomic memory by ping -f kORBit-ized box.
>
> When linux is out of atomic memory, it will die anyway.

Not unless your driver is broken.

Alan

2000-12-16 00:53:30

by Mikulas Patocka

> > I guess that when you mmap large files over nfs and write to them, you get
> > similar problems.
> >
> > > Oh, and try to eat atomic memory by ping -f kORBit-ized box.
> >
> > When linux is out of atomic memory, it will die anyway.
>
> Not unless your driver is broken.

ok_to_allocate:
******* INTERRUPT ********
spin_lock_irqsave(&page_alloc_lock, flags);
/* if it's not a dma request, try non-dma first */
if (!(gfp_mask & __GFP_DMA))
RMQUEUE_TYPE(order, 0);
RMQUEUE_TYPE(order, 1);
spin_unlock_irqrestore(&page_alloc_lock, flags);

nopage:
return 0;
}

When interrupt comes here and eats page just freed by try_to_free_pages(),
GFP_KERNEL allocation will fail => The kernel goes crazy, shoots
processes, returns -ENOMEM to calls, maybe damages its structures.
Deadlock in getblk, if memory is full of dirty file mapped pages.

You actually do not need network flood to kill your box. Just imagine that
kpiod is swapping files out too slowly, free memory is going lower and
lower, every process screaming with "VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed" and
the system is aproaching instant death.

Besides, __get_free_pages just encourages people to write broken drivers
because it tries to hide allocation bugs. If there would be something like

if (current->flags & PF_MEMALLOC && !in_interrupt()) panic("swapper fscked up!");

you would see how many parts of system are "broken".

Mikulas

2000-12-18 08:59:40

by David Ford

Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> > Oh, and try to eat atomic memory by ping -f kORBit-ized box.
>
> When linux is out of atomic memory, it will die anyway.

Only if you subscribe to the "we don't need to handle exceptions or check return
values" programmers guild...i.e. lazy error prone coders.

I tend to run out of memory a lot and Linux is handling things pretty well. I
must say, I haven't had a memory pressure kill my machine in oh...six months?
...when the new VM went in and there were bugs to be worked out.

Programmers who write like this..or should I say "scripters"...are the bane of
good clean code. They're the ones that write bloated apps, the ones where their
cgi leaves 4,000,000 junk cookies behind...in one directory, that chews up 40
megs of memory in their .pl shopping cart so a customer can order one widget...

</rant>

-d

Attachments:
david.vcf (274.00 B)
Card for David Ford

2000-12-18 20:38:46

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> The cool thing is that the CorbaFS userspace server can implement any
> kind of filesystem you want, as long as it follows the CorbaFS
> interface! The current implementation exports the filesystem on the
> host machine that it is running on, similar to NFS. But we also have
> ideas for FTP or web filesystems, for example. Imagine being able to
> mount the web CorbaFS onto /mnt/www and do a
>
> cat /mnt/www/http://www.kernel.org/index.html

can you do ls /mnt/www/http://www.kernel.org/ as well? I'm interested, I came
to conclusion that web filesystem is not possible... (If you can't do
listings, it is not really filesystem; you could do

cat /mnt/www/http://www.kernel.org_index.html as well, and that's easy to
do.)

> and the CorbaFS userspace server takes care of loading the webpage and
> returning it to the kernel client. And these new filesystems don't
> take up any extra space in the kernel, since they all talk to the same
> CorbaFS kernel module! Not to mention being able to implement the
> filesystem in any language you like, debug the implementation in
> userspace, etc.

codafs can do pretty much the same.
Pavel
--
I'm [email protected]. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at [email protected]

2000-12-18 21:01:23

by Rik van Riel

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> > Not unless your driver is broken.
>
> ok_to_allocate:
> ******* INTERRUPT ********
> spin_lock_irqsave(&page_alloc_lock, flags);
> /* if it's not a dma request, try non-dma first */
> if (!(gfp_mask & __GFP_DMA))
> RMQUEUE_TYPE(order, 0);
> RMQUEUE_TYPE(order, 1);
> spin_unlock_irqrestore(&page_alloc_lock, flags);
>
> nopage:
> return 0;
> }

Now read the code carefully and see how allocations can
end up here ... and when they can't...

> When interrupt comes here and eats page just freed by try_to_free_pages(),
> GFP_KERNEL allocation will fail => The kernel goes crazy, shoots
> processes, returns -ENOMEM to calls, maybe damages its structures.
> Deadlock in getblk, if memory is full of dirty file mapped pages.

Wrong. Getblk won't deadlock, it will just sleep and another
thread will continue later on. Killing processes will (in 2.4)
only happen when you run out of swap ... 2.4 will simply have
its processes loop in alloc_pages() until memory is available.

The "maybe damages its structures" is a sure indication of
you having a very vivid imagination ;)

> You actually do not need network flood to kill your box. Just imagine that
> kpiod is swapping files out too slowly, free memory is going lower and
> lower, every process screaming with "VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed" and
> the system is aproaching instant death.

Umm? Can you explain how this could happen?

> Besides, __get_free_pages just encourages people to write broken
> drivers because it tries to hide allocation bugs. If there would
> be something like
>
> if (current->flags & PF_MEMALLOC && !in_interrupt())
> panic("swapper fscked up!");

We have something a little bit like this in 2.4, though
it's just a printk and it doesn't print a backtrace. Now
that you mention it, though, printing a backtrace may be
a nice debugging option for missed higher-order allocations ;)

(but only useful if you get unreasonable amounts of them)

regards,

Rik
--
Hollywood goes for world dumbination,
Trailer at 11.

http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com.br/

2000-12-18 21:10:03

by Chris Lattner

> > cat /mnt/www/http://www.kernel.org/index.html
>
> can you do ls /mnt/www/http://www.kernel.org/ as well? I'm interested, I came
> to conclusion that web filesystem is not possible... (If you can't do

Yes, if the server supports webDAV or something similar.

> listings, it is not really filesystem; you could do
>
> cat /mnt/www/http://www.kernel.org_index.html as well, and that's easy to
> do.)
>
> > and the CorbaFS userspace server takes care of loading the webpage and
> > returning it to the kernel client. And these new filesystems don't
> > take up any extra space in the kernel, since they all talk to the same
> > CorbaFS kernel module! Not to mention being able to implement the
> > filesystem in any language you like, debug the implementation in
> > userspace, etc.
>
> codafs can do pretty much the same.

Yes, but codaFS is specific to filesystems. kORBit, of course, can do
much much more, in a very uniform way. :)

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-18 21:14:43

by Andrea Arcangeli

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 06:29:24PM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
> Wrong. Getblk won't deadlock, it will just sleep and another

getblk will deadlock.

Andrea

2000-12-18 21:21:05

by Rik van Riel

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 06:29:24PM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > Wrong. Getblk won't deadlock, it will just sleep and another
>
> getblk will deadlock.

OUCH. The only protection we have against this is the fact
that atomic allocations are not allowed to eat up all memory
in the system and that every thread can only have 1 getblk
operation at a time, right?

But even so, the deadlock is still theoretically possible and
should probably be fixed, this sounds too much like a time
bomb waiting to go off... ;(

regards,

Rik
--
Hollywood goes for world dumbination,
Trailer at 11.

http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com.br/

2000-12-18 22:17:47

by Mikulas Patocka

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
>
> > > Not unless your driver is broken.
> >
> > ok_to_allocate:
> > ******* INTERRUPT ********
> > spin_lock_irqsave(&page_alloc_lock, flags);
> > /* if it's not a dma request, try non-dma first */
> > if (!(gfp_mask & __GFP_DMA))
> > RMQUEUE_TYPE(order, 0);
> > RMQUEUE_TYPE(order, 1);
> > spin_unlock_irqrestore(&page_alloc_lock, flags);
> >
> > nopage:
> > return 0;
> > }
>
> Now read the code carefully and see how allocations can
> end up here ... and when they can't...

GFP_ATOMIC allocations can eat all memory in 2.2. There are no free pages.
Now process wants to allocate page with GFP_KERNEL or GFP_USER. It calls
try_to_free_pages. try_to_free_pages succeeds and frees few pages.
Interrupt is received and eats pages that were just freed. RMQUEUE fails.
get_free_page returns zero. Process is shot.

> > Deadlock in getblk, if memory is full of dirty file mapped pages.
>
> Wrong. Getblk won't deadlock, it will just sleep and another
> thread will continue later on. Killing processes will (in 2.4)
> only happen when you run out of swap ... 2.4 will simply have
> its processes loop in alloc_pages() until memory is available.

I'm talking about 2.2. getblk will sleep until some memory becomes
available. And some memory can be available only if getblk succeeds.

> > You actually do not need network flood to kill your box. Just imagine that
> > kpiod is swapping files out too slowly, free memory is going lower and
> > lower, every process screaming with "VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed" and
> > the system is aproaching instant death.
>
> Umm? Can you explain how this could happen?

Imagine that kpiod is slow. try_to_swap_out returns 1 and pretends it
freed something but it didn't. It just passed request to kpiod. There are
no pages to be freed by shrink_mmap. do_try_to_swap_out calls swap_out
several times, then returns. And this repeats again and again.

There are two possible ends:

-swap_out unmaps everything and fails (all pages are pending on kpiod
queue), try_to_free_pages fails, process is shot

-as try_to_free_pages is pretending that it freed something, free memory
is going lower and lower; finally it reaches zero - see above

Mikulas

2000-12-18 22:28:58

by Mikulas Patocka

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 06:29:24PM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > > Wrong. Getblk won't deadlock, it will just sleep and another
> >
> > getblk will deadlock.
>
> OUCH. The only protection we have against this is the fact
> that atomic allocations are not allowed to eat up all memory
> in the system and that every thread can only have 1 getblk
> operation at a time, right?

You have small posibility that interrupt will eat up memory - interrupt in
process that has PF_MEMALLOC. Patch:

--- linux/mm/page_alloc.c_ Mon Dec 18 22:48:47 2000
+++ linux/mm/page_alloc.c Mon Dec 18 22:53:52 2000
@@ -516,7 +516,7 @@

/* XXX: is pages_min/4 a good amount to reserve for this? */
if (z->free_pages < z->pages_min / 4 &&
- !(current->flags & PF_MEMALLOC))
+ (!(current->flags & PF_MEMALLOC) || in_interrupt()))
continue;
page = rmqueue(z, order);
if (page)

Mikulas

2000-12-18 22:32:18

by Alan

> Imagine that kpiod is slow. try_to_swap_out returns 1 and pretends it
> freed something but it didn't. It just passed request to kpiod. There are
> no pages to be freed by shrink_mmap. do_try_to_swap_out calls swap_out
> several times, then returns. And this repeats again and again.

kpiod ceased to exist as of 2.2.19pre2

2000-12-18 22:44:03

by Mikulas Patocka

> > Imagine that kpiod is slow. try_to_swap_out returns 1 and pretends it
> > freed something but it didn't. It just passed request to kpiod. There are
> > no pages to be freed by shrink_mmap. do_try_to_swap_out calls swap_out
> > several times, then returns. And this repeats again and again.
>
> kpiod ceased to exist as of 2.2.19pre2

BTW. why didn't you fix SMP race in accessing pte? It's several months old
and quite subtle bug.

Mikulas

2000-12-19 00:59:23

by Andrea Arcangeli

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 10:57:44PM +0100, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> You have small posibility that interrupt will eat up memory - interrupt in
> process that has PF_MEMALLOC. Patch:

this is not the point of getblk, to fix the getblk deadlock the only way is to
implement a fail path in each caller and allow getblk to return NULL (as every
other memory allocation function can do).

Andrea

2000-12-19 09:13:25

by Mikulas Patocka

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 10:57:44PM +0100, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> > You have small posibility that interrupt will eat up memory - interrupt in
> > process that has PF_MEMALLOC. Patch:
>
> this is not the point of getblk, to fix the getblk deadlock the only way is to
> implement a fail path in each caller and allow getblk to return NULL (as every
> other memory allocation function can do).

Failing getblk would likely introduce filesystem corruption. Look at
getblk in 2.0 - when allocating new page fails it tries to reuse existing
clean buffers or wakes up bdflush and waits until it writes them. This is
the right thing to do.

Mikulas

2000-12-19 10:02:06

by Andrea Arcangeli

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 09:42:05AM +0100, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> Failing getblk would likely introduce filesystem corruption. Look at
> getblk in 2.0 - when allocating new page fails it tries to reuse existing
> clean buffers or wakes up bdflush and waits until it writes them. This is
> the right thing to do.

wrong.

Andrea