2002-04-11 23:51:19

by Torrey Hoffman

Subject: measuring time spent in kernel

"top" and similar tools don't seem to capture the time spent in kernel
which isn't on behalf of a user process.

I vaguely remember mention on this list of a tool that soaks up as many
cycles as it can get to obtain an accurate measurement of the true
system time.

Can some one give me a pointer? I've had no luck with Google...

thanks,

Torrey Hoffman

by Karim Yaghmour

Subject: Re: measuring time spent in kernel

You may want to try LTT:
http://www.opersys.com/LTT

It will give this sort of information, among many other things,
and it doesn't soak up any cycles.

Karim

Torrey Hoffman wrote:

> "top" and similar tools don't seem to capture the time spent in kernel
> which isn't on behalf of a user process.
>
> I vaguely remember mention on this list of a tool that soaks up as many
> cycles as it can get to obtain an accurate measurement of the true
> system time.
>
> Can some one give me a pointer? I've had no luck with Google...
>
> thanks,
>
> Torrey Hoffman
> [email protected]
> [email protected]