2002-09-26 10:43:10

by Roberto Nibali

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] NF-HIPAC: High Performance Packet Classification

> What if the netconsole packets cause events to be logged?

Oups! Well, you could send them via printk to the internal printk buffer
which then gets fetched by the local syslog and then you can decide what
to do since those messages should never fill up the buffer as quickly as
syslog will be able to get them. Actually then you should rate limit the
printk messages and probably also increase the buffer size.

But to be honest, those are not the usual messages that fill up the
buffer so fast that syslog is not able to read the message before the
buffer gets overwritten again. Of course you will then have a logfile
inconsistency and this could be accounted just as well as a loss of trace.

But generally I agree that you're standing there pants down. For example
if you have a filter rule in the routing or whereever code that doesn't
permit the packets to leave the machine and thus to be dropped. Ah well
... it was worth a try.

[Hmpf, my collegue is just testing this right now but I think I can then
tell him to stop this because you're always biting your own tail with
this approach, one way or another].

Thanks for the valuable input and best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc