2002-09-30 13:58:27

by Michael Clark

Subject: Re: v2.6 vs v3.0

On 09/30/02 21:05, Kevin Corry wrote:
> On Monday 30 September 2002 02:05, Michael Clark wrote:
>
>>On 09/30/02 05:46, Matthias Andree wrote:
>>
>>>Is not EVMS ready for the show? Is Linux >=2.6 going to have LVM2 and
>>>EVMS? Or just LVM2? I'm not aware of the current status, but I do recall
>>>having seen EVMS stable announcements (but not sure about 2.5 status).
>>
>> From reading the EVMS list, it was working with 2.5.36 a couple weeks
>>ago but needs some small bio and gendisk changes to work in 2.5.39.
>>
>>http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=1105826&forum_id=2003
>>
>>CVS version may be up-to-date quite soon from reading the thread.
>>It seems to be further along in 2.5 support than LVM2 - also including
>>the fact that EVMS supports LVM1 metadata (which the 2.5 version of LVM2
>>may not do so quite so soon from mentions on the lvm list).
>>
>>I haven't tried EVMS but certainly from looking at the feature set,
>>it looks more comprehensive and modular than LVM (with its support
>>for multiple metadata personalities).
>>
>>I too have LVM on quite a few of my machines, including my desktop,
>>and if I wanted to test 2.5 right now - i'd probably have to do it
>>using EVMS.
>

> EVMS is now up-to-date and running on 2.5.39. You can get the latest kernel
> code from CVS (http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=25076) or Bitkeepr
> (http://evms.bkbits.net/). There will be a new, full release (1.2) coming out
> this week.

Yes, i just booted up with EVMS CVS on 2.5.39. Detected all my LVM LV's fine.
After cautious tests with them mounted ro, i then preceded to mount them rw
and continued boot up. Working fine so far. Great work.

All i needed to do was change my vgscan to evms_vgscan and adjust my mount
points to the new style ( /dev/evms/lvm/<vg></<lv> ).

~mc

2002-09-30 14:53:44

by Kevin Corry

On Monday 30 September 2002 08:49, Michael Clark wrote:
> On 09/30/02 21:05, Kevin Corry wrote:
> > EVMS is now up-to-date and running on 2.5.39. You can get the latest
> > kernel code from CVS (http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=25076) or
> > Bitkeepr (http://evms.bkbits.net/). There will be a new, full release
> > (1.2) coming out this week.
>
> Yes, i just booted up with EVMS CVS on 2.5.39. Detected all my LVM LV's
> fine. After cautious tests with them mounted ro, i then preceded to mount
> them rw and continued boot up. Working fine so far. Great work.
>
> All i needed to do was change my vgscan to evms_vgscan and adjust my mount
> points to the new style ( /dev/evms/lvm/<vg></<lv> ).

Instead of using "evms_vgscan", you should probably run "evms_rediscover".
But you really only need that if you've compiled EVMS as modules in your
kernel.

For volume admin tasks, I would recommend using "evmsgui" if you have X
available, or "evmsn" if you need text-mode.

The LVM-style commands (like evms_vgscan) were originally written as testing
tools before we had the fully-functional UIs. They were left around as kind
of a proof-of-concept that the EVMS engine library API can be used to emulate
existing volume management tools.

--
Kevin Corry
[email protected]