2003-01-15 18:07:58

by Paulo Andre'

Subject: radeonfb almost there.. but not quite! :)

Hi James,

First of all, thanks a lot for the amount of work you've been putting
into the fbdev layer of the linux kernel.

A few weeks ago I've emailed you about some issues with the radeonfb
driver on late 2.5 kernels but didn't get any reply from either you or
Geert. So I'm trying again, providing the (hopefully necessary) input
for sorting this issue.

I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 card on a Fujitsu E-7110 laptop and
the framebuffer console works fine on 2.4 kernels. Not surprising that
it doesn't work that fine on 2.5 though, considering the new API and all
the porting that's going on. I compile the radeonfb driver in, selecting
all the appropriate options as I go along (particularly the Framebuffer
Console) and upon boot it does detect my card and fb driver just fine,
along with the appropriate resolution (1400x1050). Here's the snippet
from 'dmesg':

radeonfb_pci_register BEGIN
radeonfb: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=12, xclk=18300 from BIOS
radeonfb: probed DDR SGRAM 32768k videoram
radeon_get_moninfo: bios 4 scratch = 1000006
radeonfb: panel ID string: Samsung LTN150P1-L02
radeonfb: detected DFP panel size from BIOS: 1400x1050
radeonfb: ATI Radeon M7 LW DDR SGRAM 32 MB
radeonfb: DVI port LCD monitor connected
radeonfb: CRT port CRT monitor connected
radeonfb_pci_register END

Right after detecting this, it tries to display the framebuffer console
but all I can see is garbage, impossible to read anything, even though
it keeps booting as usual and I can even (blindly) login and start X
(though it's all hardware, not framebuffer).

So, is the radeonfb in 2.5 kernels actually working and there's
something missing on my end or is it not fully functional yet? I'm just
directly emailing (and bugging!) you with this considering this is one
of the last barriers I'm facing wrt to the 2.4->2.5 switch :) If it's
not functional yet, and as far as I'm concerned, take your time!

The .config used goes attached. And anyway this will be CC'ed to
linux-kernel.

../Paulo

Attachments:
.config (17.29 kB)

2003-01-16 13:23:09

by Alessandro Suardi

Subject: Re: radeonfb almost there.. but not quite! :)

Paulo Andre' wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> First of all, thanks a lot for the amount of work you've been putting
> into the fbdev layer of the linux kernel.
>
> A few weeks ago I've emailed you about some issues with the radeonfb
> driver on late 2.5 kernels but didn't get any reply from either you or
> Geert. So I'm trying again, providing the (hopefully necessary) input
> for sorting this issue.
>
> I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 card on a Fujitsu E-7110 laptop and
> the framebuffer console works fine on 2.4 kernels. Not surprising that
> it doesn't work that fine on 2.5 though, considering the new API and all
> the porting that's going on. I compile the radeonfb driver in, selecting
> all the appropriate options as I go along (particularly the Framebuffer
> Console) and upon boot it does detect my card and fb driver just fine,
> along with the appropriate resolution (1400x1050). Here's the snippet
> from 'dmesg':
>
> radeonfb_pci_register BEGIN
> radeonfb: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=12, xclk=18300 from BIOS
> radeonfb: probed DDR SGRAM 32768k videoram
> radeon_get_moninfo: bios 4 scratch = 1000006
> radeonfb: panel ID string: Samsung LTN150P1-L02
> radeonfb: detected DFP panel size from BIOS: 1400x1050
> radeonfb: ATI Radeon M7 LW DDR SGRAM 32 MB
> radeonfb: DVI port LCD monitor connected
> radeonfb: CRT port CRT monitor connected
> radeonfb_pci_register END
>
> Right after detecting this, it tries to display the framebuffer console
> but all I can see is garbage, impossible to read anything, even though
> it keeps booting as usual and I can even (blindly) login and start X
> (though it's all hardware, not framebuffer).

Radeonfb works better for me in 2.5.58, same card but on a
Dell Latitude C640 - 1024x768 though, and xclk=16600.

I say "better" and not simply "works" because

- the gpm cursor positioned on characters shows different ones
(eg. hovering on a 'd' it shows a highlighted 'B')
- the pre-penguin display is garbage. The console though gets
to recover right after the penguin display

Definitely usable anyway :)

--alessandro

"And though it don't seem fair, for every smile that plays
a tear must fall somewhere"
(Bruce Springsteen, "The Price You Pay", live 31/12/1980)

2003-01-16 21:00:27

by Arnd Bergmann

Alessandro Suardi wrote:

> Radeonfb works better for me in 2.5.58, same card but on a
> Dell Latitude C640 - 1024x768 though, and xclk=16600.
>
> I say "better" and not simply "works" because
>
> - the gpm cursor positioned on characters shows different ones
> (eg. hovering on a 'd' it shows a highlighted 'B')
This works for me.

> - the pre-penguin display is garbage. The console though gets
> to recover right after the penguin display
Same here. I see the same garbage when switching resolutions
with fbset.

I also have a small problem when switching to and from X. Most of
the time everything is fine, but sometimes it is unreadable and
I have to switch back and forth again.

This is on an IBM Thinkpad A30p with 1600x1200 local display.
radeonfb_pci_register BEGIN
radeonfb: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=60, xclk=16600 from BIOS
radeonfb: probed DDR SGRAM 32768k videoram
radeon_get_moninfo: bios 4 scratch = 1000004
radeonfb: panel ID string: 1600x1200
radeonfb: detected DFP panel size from BIOS: 1600x1200
radeonfb: ATI Radeon M6 LY DDR SGRAM 32 MB
radeonfb: DVI port LCD monitor connected
radeonfb: CRT port no monitor connected
radeonfb_pci_register END

2003-01-17 15:23:01

by Paulo Andre'

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 21:07, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> I also have a small problem when switching to and from X. Most of
> the time everything is fine, but sometimes it is unreadable and
> I have to switch back and forth again.
>
> This is on an IBM Thinkpad A30p with 1600x1200 local display.
> radeonfb_pci_register BEGIN
> radeonfb: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=60, xclk=16600 from BIOS
> radeonfb: probed DDR SGRAM 32768k videoram
> radeon_get_moninfo: bios 4 scratch = 1000004
> radeonfb: panel ID string: 1600x1200
> radeonfb: detected DFP panel size from BIOS: 1600x1200
> radeonfb: ATI Radeon M6 LY DDR SGRAM 32 MB
> radeonfb: DVI port LCD monitor connected
> radeonfb: CRT port no monitor connected
> radeonfb_pci_register END

Do you have CONFIG_DRM=y ?

I'd _really_ like to have some feedback from James Simmons on this.

../Paulo

2003-01-17 15:39:22

by Arnd Bergmann

On Friday 17 January 2003 16:31, Paulo Andre' wrote:

> Do you have CONFIG_DRM=y ?

Yes:
[drm] AGP 0.99 on Unknown @ 0xd0000000 256MB
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.6.0 20020828 on minor 0

Arnd <><

2003-01-17 15:50:17

by James Simmons

Could you disable it and see if everything works then.

> On Friday 17 January 2003 16:31, Paulo Andre' wrote:
>
> > Do you have CONFIG_DRM=y ?
>
> Yes:
> [drm] AGP 0.99 on Unknown @ 0xd0000000 256MB
> [drm] Initialized radeon 1.6.0 20020828 on minor 0
>
> Arnd <><
> -

by James Simmons

> > This is on an IBM Thinkpad A30p with 1600x1200 local display.
> > radeonfb_pci_register BEGIN
> > radeonfb: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=60, xclk=16600 from BIOS
> > radeonfb: probed DDR SGRAM 32768k videoram
> > radeon_get_moninfo: bios 4 scratch = 1000004
> > radeonfb: panel ID string: 1600x1200
> > radeonfb: detected DFP panel size from BIOS: 1600x1200
> > radeonfb: ATI Radeon M6 LY DDR SGRAM 32 MB
> > radeonfb: DVI port LCD monitor connected
> > radeonfb: CRT port no monitor connected
> > radeonfb_pci_register END
>
> Do you have CONFIG_DRM=y ?
>
> I'd _really_ like to have some feedback from James Simmons on this.

I'm here. I see the radeon fbdev driver is detected and it works :-) The
issue is a X conflict. Does disabling CONFIG_DRM work?

2003-01-18 12:09:56

by Paulo Andre'

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 16:01, James Simmons wrote:
> > This is on an IBM Thinkpad A30p with 1600x1200 local display.
> > > radeonfb_pci_register BEGIN
> > > radeonfb: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=60, xclk=16600 from BIOS
> > > radeonfb: probed DDR SGRAM 32768k videoram
> > > radeon_get_moninfo: bios 4 scratch = 1000004
> > > radeonfb: panel ID string: 1600x1200
> > > radeonfb: detected DFP panel size from BIOS: 1600x1200
> > > radeonfb: ATI Radeon M6 LY DDR SGRAM 32 MB
> > > radeonfb: DVI port LCD monitor connected
> > > radeonfb: CRT port no monitor connected
> > > radeonfb_pci_register END
> >
> > Do you have CONFIG_DRM=y ?
> >
> > I'd _really_ like to have some feedback from James Simmons on this.
>
> I'm here. I see the radeon fbdev driver is detected and it works :-) The
> issue is a X conflict. Does disabling CONFIG_DRM work?

Doesn't solve my problem. To tell you the truth I already use CONFIG_DRM=n
for a while now considering it keeps me from switching from console to X
(either in 2.4 or 2.5). It just locks hard if I do so.

Anyway, it can't be an X conflict, as far as I'm concerned because the
problems happen on the framebuffer console, not X related. Please refer
to my first email, which I sent to you directly and to this list, for
details.

And thanks for your reply.

../Paulo