2005-11-27 03:23:41

by Martin Drab

Subject: PC speaker beeping on high CPU loads on an nForce2

Hi,

on an nForce2 system (GigaByte 7NNXP) when the CPU is under heavy load
(like during kernel compilation for instance, or any compilation of any
bigger project, for that matter), I hear some beeps comming out of the PC
speaker. It's like few short beeps per second for a while, then silence
for few seconds, then a beep here and there, and again, and so on. It is
quite strange. It happens ever since I remember (I mean in kernel
versions of course, I have the board for about 1.5 years). I've just been
kind of ignoring it until now. Does anybody else happen to see the same
symptoms? What could be the cause of this. Is it something about timing?
But how come the PC speaker gets kiced in, while it's not being used at
all (well, at least not intentionally) for anything. Perhaps something is
writing some ports it is not supposed to?

Martin

2005-11-27 03:31:37

by Petr Vandrovec

Martin Drab wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on an nForce2 system (GigaByte 7NNXP) when the CPU is under heavy load
> (like during kernel compilation for instance, or any compilation of any
> bigger project, for that matter), I hear some beeps comming out of the PC
> speaker. It's like few short beeps per second for a while, then silence
> for few seconds, then a beep here and there, and again, and so on. It is
> quite strange. It happens ever since I remember (I mean in kernel
> versions of course, I have the board for about 1.5 years). I've just been
> kind of ignoring it until now. Does anybody else happen to see the same
> symptoms? What could be the cause of this. Is it something about timing?
> But how come the PC speaker gets kiced in, while it's not being used at
> all (well, at least not intentionally) for anything. Perhaps something is
> writing some ports it is not supposed to?

Nope. Your system is overheating, and on-board temperature sensors are
complaining. Probably you should find whether lm-sensors have drivers for chips
your motherboard has, and look at sensors output in that case...

Maybe ACPI could report thermal zone as well, try looking at
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/* tree.
Petr

2005-11-27 06:11:32

by Gene Heskett

On Saturday 26 November 2005 22:23, Martin Drab wrote:
>Hi,
>
>on an nForce2 system (GigaByte 7NNXP) when the CPU is under heavy load
>(like during kernel compilation for instance, or any compilation of any
>bigger project, for that matter), I hear some beeps comming out of the
> PC speaker. It's like few short beeps per second for a while, then
> silence for few seconds, then a beep here and there, and again, and so
> on. It is quite strange. It happens ever since I remember (I mean in
> kernel versions of course, I have the board for about 1.5 years). I've
> just been kind of ignoring it until now. Does anybody else happen to
> see the same symptoms? What could be the cause of this. Is it
> something about timing? But how come the PC speaker gets kiced in,
> while it's not being used at all (well, at least not intentionally)
> for anything. Perhaps something is writing some ports it is not
> supposed to?
>
>Martin

Usually, thats a sign of cpu overheating. At 18 months, if the cpu
fan/heat sink hasn't been blown out by an air hose, its so packed full
of dust bunnies that no amount of rpms can force any air thru the cpu's
heat
sink fins.

If its been doing it for a while, I expect the grease between the
bottom of the heat sink and the top pf the cpu has also dried out and
is no longer as effective at moving the heat from the cpu into the
heat sink itself. So its probably a good idea to do a shut down,
remove the heat sink/fan combo, clean it all up and put a dab of new
grease under the heat sink before ytou clip it back on. I'm partial
to a fancy bit of stuff called artic silver, which when fresh, is
pretty darned good at moving the heat.

If you aren't comfortable doing all that, find someone who is.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by Martin Drab

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Petr Vandrovec wrote:

> Martin Drab wrote:
>
> > on an nForce2 system (GigaByte 7NNXP) when the CPU is under heavy load (like
> > during kernel compilation for instance, or any compilation of any bigger
> > project, for that matter), I hear some beeps comming out of the PC speaker.
> > It's like few short beeps per second for a while, then silence for few
> > seconds, then a beep here and there, and again, and so on. It is quite
> > strange. It happens ever since I remember (I mean in kernel versions of
> > course, I have the board for about 1.5 years). I've just been kind of
> > ignoring it until now. Does anybody else happen to see the same symptoms?
> > What could be the cause of this. Is it something about timing? But how come
> > the PC speaker gets kiced in, while it's not being used at all (well, at
> > least not intentionally) for anything. Perhaps something is writing some
> > ports it is not supposed to?
>
> Nope. Your system is overheating, and on-board temperature sensors are
> complaining. Probably you should find whether lm-sensors have drivers for
> chips your motherboard has, and look at sensors output in that case...
>
> Maybe ACPI could report thermal zone as well, try looking at
> /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/* tree.

Ah, that didn't occur to me. You are right. I'm about to install a new
water cooling, so I hope that would help.

Sorry for bothering,
Martin

2005-11-27 14:35:06

by Ivan Yosifov

On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 01:11 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 26 November 2005 22:23, Martin Drab wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >on an nForce2 system (GigaByte 7NNXP) when the CPU is under heavy load
> >(like during kernel compilation for instance, or any compilation of any
> >bigger project, for that matter), I hear some beeps comming out of the
> > PC speaker. It's like few short beeps per second for a while, then
> > silence for few seconds, then a beep here and there, and again, and so
> > on. It is quite strange. It happens ever since I remember (I mean in
> > kernel versions of course, I have the board for about 1.5 years). I've
> > just been kind of ignoring it until now. Does anybody else happen to
> > see the same symptoms? What could be the cause of this. Is it
> > something about timing? But how come the PC speaker gets kiced in,
> > while it's not being used at all (well, at least not intentionally)
> > for anything. Perhaps something is writing some ports it is not
> > supposed to?
> >
> >Martin
>
> Usually, thats a sign of cpu overheating. At 18 months, if the cpu
> fan/heat sink hasn't been blown out by an air hose, its so packed full
> of dust bunnies that no amount of rpms can force any air thru the cpu's
> heat
> sink fins.

Gee ! The timeframe is just 3 months here... :-/

> If its been doing it for a while, I expect the grease between the
> bottom of the heat sink and the top pf the cpu has also dried out and
> is no longer as effective at moving the heat from the cpu into the
> heat sink itself. So its probably a good idea to do a shut down,
> remove the heat sink/fan combo, clean it all up and put a dab of new
> grease under the heat sink before ytou clip it back on. I'm partial
> to a fancy bit of stuff called artic silver, which when fresh, is
> pretty darned good at moving the heat.
>
> If you aren't comfortable doing all that, find someone who is.

2005-11-27 17:56:28

by Martin Drab

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 26 November 2005 22:23, Martin Drab wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >on an nForce2 system (GigaByte 7NNXP) when the CPU is under heavy load
> >(like during kernel compilation for instance, or any compilation of any
> >bigger project, for that matter), I hear some beeps comming out of the
> > PC speaker. It's like few short beeps per second for a while, then
> > silence for few seconds, then a beep here and there, and again, and so
> > on. It is quite strange. It happens ever since I remember (I mean in
> > kernel versions of course, I have the board for about 1.5 years). I've
> > just been kind of ignoring it until now. Does anybody else happen to
> > see the same symptoms? What could be the cause of this. Is it
> > something about timing? But how come the PC speaker gets kiced in,
> > while it's not being used at all (well, at least not intentionally)
> > for anything. Perhaps something is writing some ports it is not
> > supposed to?
> >
> >Martin
>
> Usually, thats a sign of cpu overheating. At 18 months, if the cpu
> fan/heat sink hasn't been blown out by an air hose, its so packed full
> of dust bunnies that no amount of rpms can force any air thru the cpu's
> heat sink fins.

No, it isn't a problem of dust or grease. It is a problem of a case full
of devices and bad airflow within it. (There's 6 HDDs, 8 PCI cards, an
AthlonXP 3200+ with massive Zalman CNPS6000-Cu on top of it and 10 fans
that are doing all they can running at maximum (with the noise of a
medium vacuum cleaner ;), trying to cool it all, but it just isn't
enough.) So I'll try to solve it by a water cooling.

I just didn't connect these sounds with the MB alarm. (Even though I know
that there is this kind of feature.)

However thanks for the advises anyway,
Martin

2005-11-27 18:33:25

by Willy Tarreau

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 06:56:23PM +0100, Martin Drab wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 26 November 2005 22:23, Martin Drab wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >on an nForce2 system (GigaByte 7NNXP) when the CPU is under heavy load
> > >(like during kernel compilation for instance, or any compilation of any
> > >bigger project, for that matter), I hear some beeps comming out of the
> > > PC speaker. It's like few short beeps per second for a while, then
> > > silence for few seconds, then a beep here and there, and again, and so
> > > on. It is quite strange. It happens ever since I remember (I mean in
> > > kernel versions of course, I have the board for about 1.5 years). I've
> > > just been kind of ignoring it until now. Does anybody else happen to
> > > see the same symptoms? What could be the cause of this. Is it
> > > something about timing? But how come the PC speaker gets kiced in,
> > > while it's not being used at all (well, at least not intentionally)
> > > for anything. Perhaps something is writing some ports it is not
> > > supposed to?
> > >
> > >Martin
> >
> > Usually, thats a sign of cpu overheating. At 18 months, if the cpu
> > fan/heat sink hasn't been blown out by an air hose, its so packed full
> > of dust bunnies that no amount of rpms can force any air thru the cpu's
> > heat sink fins.
>
> No, it isn't a problem of dust or grease. It is a problem of a case full
> of devices and bad airflow within it. (There's 6 HDDs, 8 PCI cards, an
> AthlonXP 3200+ with massive Zalman CNPS6000-Cu on top of it and 10 fans
> that are doing all they can running at maximum (with the noise of a
> medium vacuum cleaner ;), trying to cool it all, but it just isn't
> enough.) So I'll try to solve it by a water cooling.

Should be cheaper to buy a bigger case with a *real airflow path, and
remove some of those fans. It's non-sense to put 10 fans in a mono-proc
system ! even with 6 disks (probably even IDE disks).

BTW, if you have the case FAN orthogonal to the CPU's and close to it,
you'd better stop it as ot will prevent part of the airflow from entering
the CPU's fan. It's amazing to see the number of boxes with a case FAN
which increases the CPU temperature by 5 degrees once it spins up ! I
too had one which made my dual athlon regularly crash, and it's OK now
that I have unplugged it. I noticed it first because the rear CPU was
5 degrees hotter than the front one.

> I just didn't connect these sounds with the MB alarm. (Even though I know
> that there is this kind of feature.)

If your system is stable, you can also disable the alarm. It's very
conservative and will beep for nearly nothing. My dual athlon runs
up to 92 degrees celcius on summer without crashing. The highest alarm
threshold was something like 60 degrees...

> However thanks for the advises anyway,
> Martin

Regards,
Willy

2005-11-27 19:11:39

by Paul Jackson

With that many fans, make sure you have good airflow,
with all the fans pushing the air the same way.

Good airflow is like good rush hour traffic on the
freeway - steady, consistent, minimal causes of
turbulence, wide lanes, no bottlenecks, ...

Cooling your Computer
http://www.atruereview.com/Articles/compcool.php

THE HEATSINK GUIDE: Case Cooling
http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=case.shtml

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability

2005-11-27 21:38:58

by Martin Drab

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 06:56:23PM +0100, Martin Drab wrote:
> > No, it isn't a problem of dust or grease. It is a problem of a case full
> > of devices and bad airflow within it. (There's 6 HDDs, 8 PCI cards, an
> > AthlonXP 3200+ with massive Zalman CNPS6000-Cu on top of it and 10 fans
> > that are doing all they can running at maximum (with the noise of a
> > medium vacuum cleaner ;), trying to cool it all, but it just isn't
> > enough.) So I'll try to solve it by a water cooling.
>
> Should be cheaper to buy a bigger case with a *real airflow path, and
> remove some of those fans.

This is a big-tower (Chieftec DA-01BL-D
<http://www.chieftec.de/?page=products_show&item=201&k_id=1&language=de>),
the only bigger would be a very expensive server casing.

> It's non-sense to put 10 fans in a mono-proc system ! even with 6 disks
> (probably even IDE disks).

Yes I agree, though I counted all fans in the system (1 Northbridge, 1
Power, 1 dual-power add-on board, 1 graphics, 1 CPU, 2 for the RAID array
[generally only 7200RPM, but still quite hot] ;), 1 more in front for
incomming cool air, 2 additional on the back for the outgoing hot air, 1
orthogonal case fan above the CPU, and 1 big 120mm orthogonal above CPU,
NB, and memory placed approximatelly in the center of the case. So it's
actually even 12 total. Unfortunatelly it turns out, that the big one in
the center is the most important one, as it's diverting the airflow, that
otherwise goes front to back along the casing wall, to the CPU, as
otherwise the CPU is burried and surrounded with the RAID array and some
cables from the front side of the case, by a rather big graphics card from
below (where the frontal additional fan is inserting the cool air), and by
the casing stiffner from above. So pretty much the two orthogonal fans are
the only ones reaching the CPU.

This really is an insane configuration, I agree. However though the alarm
is beeping sometimes during a big load. The system is perfectly stable.

> BTW, if you have the case FAN orthogonal to the CPU's and close to it,
> you'd better stop it as ot will prevent part of the airflow from entering
> the CPU's fan.

This is definitelly not the case here. I have most of the fans attached to
a regulator, and if I turn the orthogonals off, the temperature of the CPU
begins to rise very quickly.

> It's amazing to see the number of boxes with a case FAN
> which increases the CPU temperature by 5 degrees once it spins up ! I
> too had one which made my dual athlon regularly crash, and it's OK now
> that I have unplugged it. I noticed it first because the rear CPU was
> 5 degrees hotter than the front one.

Hmm, that may be the case for the dual system, as if the orthogonal fan is
blowing at one of the CPUs the hot air from it may diverted horizontally
along the MB to the other CPU and in fact heating it up again, or
something. It shouldn't be the case for a UP.

Martin

2005-11-28 15:51:04

by Jan Engelhardt

>> on an nForce2 system (GigaByte 7NNXP) when the CPU is under heavy load
>> (like during kernel compilation for instance, or any compilation of any
>> bigger project, for that matter), I hear some beeps comming out of the PC
>> speaker. It's like few short beeps per second for a while, then silence
>> for few seconds, then a beep here and there, and again, and so on. It is
>> quite strange. (I have the board for about 1.5 years).
>
> Nope. Your system is overheating, and on-board temperature sensors are
> complaining. Probably you should find whether lm-sensors have drivers for
> chips your motherboard has, and look at sensors output in that case...

Quite interesting, as I occassionally have short "drumbeat" on the PC
speaker. It is like \e[10;x]\e[11;15], but seems irreproducible to me with
any particular x. I do not suspect overheating, as the BIOS hardware
monitor has shown 51 deg Celsius after some hours running for over two
years now.

> Maybe ACPI could report thermal zone as well, try looking at
> /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/* tree.

MB is EliteGroup L7S7A2, CPU is AMD Athlon XP 2000+, and
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/ is empty. LM chip is a LM78, but lmsensors outputs
only rubbish data.

Jan Engelhardt