2020-12-30 18:13:42

by Christian Labisch

Subject: sound

Update :

I've just tested the kernel 5.10.4 from ELRepo.
Unfortunately nothing changed - still no sound.

Regards,
Christian

> Thank you Greg,
>
> I am running Fedora 33 with kernel 5.9.16, which works correctly.
> All stable 5.10 versions up to 5.10.3 are having the sound issue.
> Once 5.10.4 will be available on koji I'm gonna test if it works.
>
> Thanks again !
>
> Regards,
> Christian
>
> On Wed, 2020-12-30 at 16:36 +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 04:26:00PM +0100, Christian Labisch wrote:
> > > Hello !
> > >
> > > I could need your help ... I have tested the new kernel 5.10.3 and sound doesn't work with
> > > this
> > > version.
> > > Seems the new Intel audio drivers are the main reason. What can be done ? Do you have any
> > > ideas
> > > ?
> > >
> > > Intel Catpt driver support is new ... This deprecates the previous Haswell SoC audio driver
> > > code
> > > previously providing the audio capabilities.
> > > And I am having a Haswell CPU -> Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core
> > > Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
> >
> > Can you try 5.10.4?  I think a fix for this is in there as was reported
> > by another user yesterday.
> >
> > If not, can you run 'git bisect' on the kernels between the last good
> > one that worked for you, and the one that doesn't?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > greg k-h

2020-12-31 08:37:09

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: sound

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 07:10:16PM +0100, Christian Labisch wrote:
> Update :
>
> I've just tested the kernel 5.10.4 from ELRepo.
> Unfortunately nothing changed - still no sound.

Ah, sad. Can you run 'git bisect' between 5.9 and 5.10 to determine the
commit that caused the problem?

thanks,

greg k-h

2020-12-31 10:06:57

by Lars-Peter Clausen

Subject: Re: Haswell audio no longer working with new Catpt driver (was: sound)

On 12/31/20 9:33 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 07:10:16PM +0100, Christian Labisch wrote:
>> Update :
>>
>> I've just tested the kernel 5.10.4 from ELRepo.
>> Unfortunately nothing changed - still no sound.
> Ah, sad. Can you run 'git bisect' between 5.9 and 5.10 to determine the
> commit that caused the problem?

The problem is that one driver was replaced with another driver. git
bisect wont really help to narrow down why the new driver does not work.

Christian can you run the alsa-info.sh[1] script on your system and send
back the result?

You say sound is not working, can you clarify that a bit? Is no sound
card registered? Is it registered but output stays silent?

- Lars

[1] https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/AlsaInfo
<https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/AlsaInfo>

2020-12-31 10:53:25

by Christian Labisch

Hi Lars-Peter,

Thank you, please find attached the requested information from both kernels.
I freshly installed the fedora kernel 5.10.4 to give you the latest results.

Regards,
Christian

Christian Labisch
Red Hat Accelerator
clnetbox.blogspot.com
access.redhat.com/community
access.redhat.com/accelerators

On Thu, 2020-12-31 at 11:04 +0100, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> On 12/31/20 9:33 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 07:10:16PM +0100, Christian Labisch wrote:
> > > Update :
> > >
> > > I've just tested the kernel 5.10.4 from ELRepo.
> > > Unfortunately nothing changed - still no sound.
> > Ah, sad.  Can you run 'git bisect' between 5.9 and 5.10 to determine the
> > commit that caused the problem?
>
> The problem is that one driver was replaced with another driver. git
> bisect wont really help to narrow down why the new driver does not work.
>
> Christian can you run the alsa-info.sh[1] script on your system and send
> back the result?
>
> You say sound is not working, can you clarify that a bit? Is no sound
> card registered? Is it registered but output stays silent?
>
> - Lars
>
> [1] https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/AlsaInfo
> <https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/AlsaInfo>

Attachments:
alsa-kernel-5.9.16.txt (51.26 kB)
alsa-kernel-5.10.4.txt (50.47 kB)
lshw-kernel-5.9.16.txt (25.42 kB)
lshw-kernel-5.10.4.txt (25.42 kB)
lspci-kernel-5.9.16.txt (1.93 kB)
lspci-kernel-5.10.4.txt (1.93 kB)

by Christian Labisch

Hi Lars-Peter,

Additional information to what I've sent you already before :
I found out that sound works with headphones (built-in audio)
But sound still does not work with speakers (built-in-audio).

Regards,
Christian

Christian Labisch
Red Hat Accelerator
clnetbox.blogspot.com
access.redhat.com/community
access.redhat.com/accelerators

On Thu, 2020-12-31 at 11:04 +0100, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> On 12/31/20 9:33 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 07:10:16PM +0100, Christian Labisch wrote:
> > > Update :
> > >
> > > I've just tested the kernel 5.10.4 from ELRepo.
> > > Unfortunately nothing changed - still no sound.
> > Ah, sad.  Can you run 'git bisect' between 5.9 and 5.10 to determine the
> > commit that caused the problem?
>
> The problem is that one driver was replaced with another driver. git
> bisect wont really help to narrow down why the new driver does not work.
>
> Christian can you run the alsa-info.sh[1] script on your system and send
> back the result?
>
> You say sound is not working, can you clarify that a bit? Is no sound
> card registered? Is it registered but output stays silent?
>
> - Lars
>
> [1] https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/AlsaInfo
> <https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/AlsaInfo>

2020-12-31 11:28:07

by Amadeusz Sławiński

Subject: Re: Haswell audio no longer working with new Catpt driver

On 12/31/2020 11:50 AM, Christian Labisch wrote:
> Hi Lars-Peter,
>
> Thank you, please find attached the requested information from both kernels.
> I freshly installed the fedora kernel 5.10.4 to give you the latest results.
>
> Regards,
> Christian
>
> Christian Labisch
> Red Hat Accelerator
> clnetbox.blogspot.com
> access.redhat.com/community
> access.redhat.com/accelerators
>

> On Thu, 2020-12-31 at 11:04 +0100, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:

>>> Ah, sad.  Can you run 'git bisect' between 5.9 and 5.10 to determine the
>>> commit that caused the problem?
>>
>> The problem is that one driver was replaced with another driver. git
>> bisect wont really help to narrow down why the new driver does not work.
>>
>> Christian can you run the alsa-info.sh[1] script on your system and send
>> back the result?
>>
>> You say sound is not working, can you clarify that a bit? Is no sound
>> card registered? Is it registered but output stays silent?
>>
>> - Lars
>>
>> [1] https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/AlsaInfo
>> <https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/AlsaInfo>

Hi,

from reading provided files it seems that you use snd_intel_hda driver,
it should be possible to git bisect it between 5.9 and 5.10 as it wasn't
replaced.

Catpt driver is used on machines using DSP.

Amadeusz

2020-12-31 11:35:28

by Christian Labisch

Thanks Amadeusz,