2013-05-03 20:01:41

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: libata maintainership change

Linux has really found its groove.

When I first got involved in Linux, there was no PCI API (now called the
hotplug or device API), and patch submission was a moderately painful
process of throwing spaghetti at a wall: sending and resending, with
both Linus and maintainers having to manually resolve merge conflicts.
<shiver>

It was a real fight to get any Linux hardware support at all. The vast
amount of hardware documentation was locked away or simply unavailable.

Working on memory management or filesystems or scheduling was always the
Sexy Rock Star PhD work that attracted engineers. OTOH, I felt, device
drivers were ignored as boring, unsexy grunt work. Which, ok, maybe it
was. Each new device driver, though, spread Linux to more and greater
locales. Alan Cox and Don Becker did enormous heavy lifting back then.
Now Linux is where it is today, with most hardware vendors actively
seeking open source driver support (except NVIDIA, natch). The kernel
has come a long way.

Time for new open source pastures outside the kernel, for me. SATA is
slowly getting unexciting to the world. Which, really, just means the
brand new technology has reached a usable plateau. :) And maybe in a
few years, with directly attached PCI-NextGenSuperFastExpress storage,
ATA and SCSI will be distant memories.

Until such time as block-based storage disappears from this earth, the
brave Sir Tejun, basically the libata co-author at this point, has
agreed to be a target for slings and arrows known as libata patches.

All the best,

Jeff

2013-05-03 21:10:41

by Tejun Heo

Subject: Re: libata maintainership change

Hello,

On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 04:01:33PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Until such time as block-based storage disappears from this earth,
> the brave Sir Tejun, basically the libata co-author at this point,
> has agreed to be a target for slings and arrows known as libata
> patches.

Yes, come high water or fire, I'll soldier on!!!11!!1!one!!

On a more serious note, while I haven't been too active on libata for
quite a while now, I'm fairly confident that I can play the patch
monkey role. I'll set up a tree and send a pull request to update
MAINTAINERS.

I owe Jeff a lot for holding my hands when I first started hacking on
the kernel. I don't think I'd be here now if it weren't for his help,
so thanks Jeff and I hope you enjoy whatever your next chapter
brings. :)

Thanks!

--
tejun

2013-05-03 21:35:08

by Zach Brown

> Time for new open source pastures outside the kernel, for me.

Thanks for all your hard work over the years. Here's to good luck in
the future!

- z

2013-05-04 00:32:44

by Nicholas A. Bellinger

On Fri, 2013-05-03 at 16:01 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Linux has really found its groove.
>
> When I first got involved in Linux, there was no PCI API (now called the
> hotplug or device API), and patch submission was a moderately painful
> process of throwing spaghetti at a wall: sending and resending, with
> both Linus and maintainers having to manually resolve merge conflicts.
> <shiver>
>
> It was a real fight to get any Linux hardware support at all. The vast
> amount of hardware documentation was locked away or simply unavailable.
>
> Working on memory management or filesystems or scheduling was always the
> Sexy Rock Star PhD work that attracted engineers. OTOH, I felt, device
> drivers were ignored as boring, unsexy grunt work. Which, ok, maybe it
> was. Each new device driver, though, spread Linux to more and greater
> locales. Alan Cox and Don Becker did enormous heavy lifting back then.
> Now Linux is where it is today, with most hardware vendors actively
> seeking open source driver support (except NVIDIA, natch). The kernel
> has come a long way.
>
> Time for new open source pastures outside the kernel, for me. SATA is
> slowly getting unexciting to the world. Which, really, just means the
> brand new technology has reached a usable plateau. :) And maybe in a
> few years, with directly attached PCI-NextGenSuperFastExpress storage,
> ATA and SCSI will be distant memories.

;)

> Until such time as block-based storage disappears from this earth, the
> brave Sir Tejun, basically the libata co-author at this point, has
> agreed to be a target for slings and arrows known as libata patches.
>
> All the best,

Thank you Jeff, and best of luck in all your new endeavors !!

--nab

2013-05-04 02:41:17

by James Bottomley

On Fri, 2013-05-03 at 16:01 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Time for new open source pastures outside the kernel, for me. SATA is
> slowly getting unexciting to the world. Which, really, just means the
> brand new technology has reached a usable plateau. :) And maybe in a
> few years, with directly attached PCI-NextGenSuperFastExpress storage,
> ATA and SCSI will be distant memories.

Hm, I keep getting asked when SCSI will die in various fora. To be
honest, I expect, with the newer protocols and architecture models, that
it may actually outlive me.

> Until such time as block-based storage disappears from this earth, the
> brave Sir Tejun, basically the libata co-author at this point, has
> agreed to be a target for slings and arrows known as libata patches.
>
> All the best,

Thanks for looking after libata thus far. All the best in whatever you
choose next and best wishes to the new maintainer.

James