1999-01-31 00:22:29

by rdicaire

Subject: DES encryption in loop device (kernel 2.2.1)

In trying to DES encrypt a loop mounted ext2 file system, I get the
following errors:

losetup -e des /dev/loop4 MYFILE3
Password: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Init (up to 16 hex digits): xxxxxxxxxxxxx
ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Invalid argument

Using XOR works but we all know XOR isn't secure. Is there a patch to fix this?

1999-01-31 02:13:12

by H. Peter Anvin