2016-10-25 23:48:00

by Rusty Russell

Subject: [PULL] modules: begin maintainer transition

The following changes since commit 9fe68cad6e74967b88d0c6aeca7d9cd6b6e91942:

Merge branch 'linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/herbert/crypto-2.6 (2016-10-24 21:34:13 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rusty/linux.git tags/modules-next-for-linus

for you to fetch changes up to a467a672cf097ec11332a9b22db6e31d3ef50359:

MAINTAINERS: Begin module maintainer transition (2016-10-26 10:11:30 +1030)

(Quoting from the MAINTAINERS commit:)

Being a Linux kernel maintainer has been my proudest professional
accomplishment, spanning the last 19 years. But now we have a surfeit
of excellent hackers, and I can hand this over without regret.

I'll still be around as co-maintainer for another cycle, but Jessica
is now the one to convince if you want your patches applied. She
rocks, and is far more timely than me too!

Cheers,
Rusty.

Rusty Russell (1):
MAINTAINERS: Begin module maintainer transition

MAINTAINERS | 1 +
1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

2016-10-27 21:15:22

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Re: [PULL] modules: begin maintainer transition

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Rusty Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Rusty Russell (1):
> MAINTAINERS: Begin module maintainer transition

Jessica, do you have a pgp key? And Rusty, have you signed it? That
makes the whole "pull signed tags" transition nicer..

Linus

2016-10-27 23:04:21

by Rusty Russell

Linus Torvalds <[email protected]> writes:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Rusty Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Rusty Russell (1):
>> MAINTAINERS: Begin module maintainer transition
>
> Jessica, do you have a pgp key? And Rusty, have you signed it? That
> makes the whole "pull signed tags" transition nicer..

Well, I don't know her, I just know her work.

But I'll figure it out. I see a module implementation trivia game in my
future!

Thanks,
Rusty.

2016-10-27 23:29:26

by Linus Torvalds

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Rusty Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, I don't know her, I just know her work.
>
> But I'll figure it out. I see a module implementation trivia game in my
> future!

It's fine, and I certainly don't require any key signing on
maintainership change, it's just obviously a nice thing to have as a
"handoff".

I'm assuming that Jessica can get her key signed lots of ways through
various redhat people..

Linus

2016-10-28 17:23:44

by Jessica Yu

Subject: Re: modules: begin maintainer transition

+++ Linus Torvalds [27/10/16 16:29 -0700]:
>On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Rusty Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Well, I don't know her, I just know her work.
>>
>> But I'll figure it out. I see a module implementation trivia game in my
>> future!
>
>It's fine, and I certainly don't require any key signing on
>maintainership change, it's just obviously a nice thing to have as a
>"handoff".
>
>I'm assuming that Jessica can get her key signed lots of ways through
>various redhat people..

Yeah, and luckily with Plumbers coming up next week I'll be able to
get a good number of signatures by then.

Jessica

2016-10-28 17:57:51

by Jonathan Corbet

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 10:16:15 +1030
Rusty Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Being a Linux kernel maintainer has been my proudest professional
> accomplishment, spanning the last 19 years. But now we have a surfeit
> of excellent hackers, and I can hand this over without regret.

So somebody needs to say this, I can't be the only one thinking it...
Thanks, Rusty, for all you did over all those years. The technical work
was great, but what you did to make the community a more welcoming,
interesting, and fun place was just as important. We'll miss you around
here!

jon

P.S. I will admit that I'm still annoyed at how you took all the
profanity out of the early kernel docs.