2000-12-04 21:04:29

by Henrik St?rner

Subject: 2.4.0-test12pre4: parport / lp problems

I discovered yesterday that printing does not work in 2.4.0-test12-pre4.

This is a pretty stock PC system with a printer on the parallel port.
Both parport and lp is compiled into the kernel - and the parport
appears to be detected OK, but the lp driver for some reason refuses
to use it:

[snip /var/log/dmesg]
Starting kswapd v1.8
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP]
parport0: irq 7 detected
[later]
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
parport0: no more devices allowed
lp: driver loaded but no devices found

In lilo, I have tried different configuration parameters. The current
setup has no parport or lp settings, but I have also tried
"parport=0x378,7 lp=parport0"
with no apparent effect. This setting used to work in earlier 2.4
configurations (cannot say exactly which worked and which didn't).

Kernel config:

#
# Parallel port support
#
CONFIG_PARPORT=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO=y
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_AMIGA is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_MFC3 is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_ATARI is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_SUNBPP is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_OTHER is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_1284 is not set
[snip]
CONFIG_PRINTER=y
# CONFIG_LP_CONSOLE is not set
# CONFIG_PPDEV is not set

Suggestions ?

2000-12-04 22:38:45

by Henrik St?rner

Subject: Re: 2.4.0-test12pre4: parport / lp problems

In <[email protected]> Henrik St?rner <[email protected]> writes:

>I discovered yesterday that printing does not work in 2.4.0-test12-pre4.

OK - mea culpa. It turned out to be a configuration problem: I had
been playing with the I2C support for lm_sensors, and in my attempt to
get it working I had apparently enabled an I2C driver that grabbed the
parport0 device before lp could get at it.

After turning off the I2C support, my printer is working again.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Henrik
--
Henrik Storner | "Crackers thrive on code secrecy. Cockcroaches breed
<[email protected]> | in the dark. It's time to let the sunlight in."