2000-11-22 08:56:16

by 64738

Subject: Kernel bits

Hi.

Is there a syscall or something that can tell me whether I'm working on a 32-
or a 64-bit kernel?

Greeting,
Alain

2000-11-22 10:00:30

by Matti Aarnio

Subject: Re: Kernel bits

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 09:25:46AM +0100, 64738 wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Is there a syscall or something that can tell me whether I'm working on a 32-
> or a 64-bit kernel?

uname(2)

It gives out various strings from which you must then deduce,
what kind of kernel is needed to run at what kind of machine.

And even though the machine is running with 64-bit kernel
(e.g. alpha/sparc64/mips64/ia64), your userspace code might
be running in 32-bit mode.

> Greeting,
> Alain

2000-11-22 10:17:09

by 64738

uname -m tells me the hardware type of the machine. Is this determined while
booting or is this the architecture I choose during 'make config'?

Can't I run a i386 kernel on a ia64 machine? I know something like this from HP-
UX. You can choose between a 32 and a 64 bit kernel when installing, so knowing
that you have a 64 bit capable machine does not say that you have a 64 bit
kernel.
And I want to have the kernel bits, not the processor bits.

Matti Aarnio <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 09:25:46AM +0100, 64738 wrote:
> > Is there a syscall or something that can tell me whether I'm working
> on a 32-
> > or a 64-bit kernel?
>
> uname(2)
>
> It gives out various strings from which you must then deduce,
> what kind of kernel is needed to run at what kind of machine.
>
> And even though the machine is running with 64-bit kernel
> (e.g. alpha/sparc64/mips64/ia64), your userspace code might
> be running in 32-bit mode.

2000-11-22 10:39:45

by Matti Aarnio

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 10:46:35AM +0100, 64738 wrote:
> uname -m tells me the hardware type of the machine. Is this determined while
> booting or is this the architecture I choose during 'make config'?

Mainly chosen during "make config".
Processor info you see at /proc/cpuinfo

> Can't I run a i386 kernel on a ia64 machine? I know something like this
> from HP-UX. You can choose between a 32 and a 64 bit kernel when
> installing, so knowing that you have a 64 bit capable machine does not
> say that you have a 64 bit kernel.
> And I want to have the kernel bits, not the processor bits.

Solaris runs 32-bit kernels on 64-bit UltraSPARCs
(up to Solaris version 2.6)

So yes, something like that MAY be possible in case
of ia64, but somehow I doubt...

/Matti Aarnio

2000-11-23 23:20:46

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > Can't I run a i386 kernel on a ia64 machine? I know something like this
> > from HP-UX. You can choose between a 32 and a 64 bit kernel when
> > installing, so knowing that you have a 64 bit capable machine does not
> > say that you have a 64 bit kernel.
> > And I want to have the kernel bits, not the processor bits.
>
> Solaris runs 32-bit kernels on 64-bit UltraSPARCs
> (up to Solaris version 2.6)
>
> So yes, something like that MAY be possible in case
> of ia64, but somehow I doubt...

It definitely will be possible to run i386 linux on x86-64.