2021-02-24 02:37:18

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: linux-next: build warning after merge of the block tree

Hi all,

After merging the block tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
produced this warning:

kernel/trace/blktrace.c:1878: warning: Function parameter or member 'rwbs' not described in 'blk_fill_rwbs'`

Introduced by commit

1f83bb4b4914 ("blktrace: add blk_fill_rwbs documentation comment")

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2021-02-24 02:43:55

by Chaitanya Kulkarni

On 2/23/21 18:31, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After merging the block tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
> produced this warning:
>
> kernel/trace/blktrace.c:1878: warning: Function parameter or member 'rwbs' not described in 'blk_fill_rwbs'`
>
> Introduced by commit
>
> 1f83bb4b4914 ("blktrace: add blk_fill_rwbs documentation comment")

Thanks for reporting, I'll send a fix soon.

2021-02-24 07:50:52

by Chaitanya Kulkarni

Stephen,

On 2/23/21 18:31, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After merging the block tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
> produced this warning:
>
> kernel/trace/blktrace.c:1878: warning: Function parameter or member 'rwbs' not described in 'blk_fill_rwbs'`
>
> Introduced by commit
>
> 1f83bb4b4914 ("blktrace: add blk_fill_rwbs documentation comment")
>
> -- Cheers, Stephen Rothwell
I've failed to understand this warning as rwbs is present in the doc header
and in the function parameter :-

/**

* blk_fill_rwbs - Fill the buffer rwbs by mapping op to character string.
* @rwbs buffer to be filled
* @op: REQ_OP_XXX for the tracepoint
*
* Maps the REQ_OP_XXX to character and fills the buffer provided by the
* caller with resulting string.
*
**/
void blk_fill_rwbs(char *rwbs, unsigned int op)
{
int i = 0;

if (op & REQ_PREFLUSH)
rwbs[i++] = 'F';

switch (op & REQ_OP_MASK) {
case REQ_OP_WRITE:
case REQ_OP_WRITE_SAME:
rwbs[i++] = 'W';
break;
case REQ_OP_DISCARD:
rwbs[i++] = 'D';
break;
case REQ_OP_SECURE_ERASE:
rwbs[i++] = 'D';
rwbs[i++] = 'E';
break;
case REQ_OP_FLUSH:
rwbs[i++] = 'F';
break;
case REQ_OP_READ:
rwbs[i++] = 'R';
break;
default:
rwbs[i++] = 'N';
}

if (op & REQ_FUA)
rwbs[i++] = 'F';
if (op & REQ_RAHEAD)
rwbs[i++] = 'A';
if (op & REQ_SYNC)
rwbs[i++] = 'S';
if (op & REQ_META)
rwbs[i++] = 'M';

rwbs[i] = '\0';
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(blk_fill_rwbs);

2021-02-24 07:54:35

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Chaitanya,

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 05:25:49 +0000 Chaitanya Kulkarni <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2/23/21 18:31, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After merging the block tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
> > produced this warning:
> >
> > kernel/trace/blktrace.c:1878: warning: Function parameter or member 'rwbs' not described in 'blk_fill_rwbs'`
> >
> > Introduced by commit
> >
> > 1f83bb4b4914 ("blktrace: add blk_fill_rwbs documentation comment")
> >
> > -- Cheers, Stephen Rothwell
> I've failed to understand this warning as rwbs is present in the doc header
> and in the function parameter :-

I presume it is the missing ':' after @rwbs in the comment.

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2021-02-24 12:52:00

by Chaitanya Kulkarni

On 2/23/21 21:33, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> I've failed to understand this warning as rwbs is present in the doc header
>> and in the function parameter :-
> I presume it is the missing ':' after @rwbs in the comment.
Thanks, I was looking at the wrong places all this time, will send a fix.

I'll setup doc generation using sphinx on my machine, is there
a particular command line that you have used for these warnings ?

2021-02-24 13:00:02

by Chaitanya Kulkarni

On 2/23/21 21:33, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>>> 1f83bb4b4914 ("blktrace: add blk_fill_rwbs documentation comment")
>>>
>>> -- Cheers, Stephen Rothwell
>> I've failed to understand this warning as rwbs is present in the doc header
>> and in the function parameter :-
> I presume it is the missing ':' after @rwbs in the comment.
I've sent a fix with your reported by, it will be great if you can provide
reviewed-by tag.
> -- Cheers, Stephen Rothwell

2021-02-24 13:12:39

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Chaitanya,

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 05:38:06 +0000 Chaitanya Kulkarni <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2/23/21 21:33, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >> I've failed to understand this warning as rwbs is present in the doc header
> >> and in the function parameter :-
> > I presume it is the missing ':' after @rwbs in the comment.
> Thanks, I was looking at the wrong places all this time, will send a fix.
>
> I'll setup doc generation using sphinx on my machine, is there
> a particular command line that you have used for these warnings ?

I just do a "make htmldocs"

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2021-02-25 03:37:24

by Chaitanya Kulkarni

On 2/24/21 02:43, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> I'll setup doc generation using sphinx on my machine, is there
>> a particular command line that you have used for these warnings ?
> I just do a "make htmldocs"
I did that, please have a look at the test log.

2021-02-25 07:56:23

by Randy Dunlap

On 2/24/21 1:41 PM, Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
> On 2/24/21 02:43, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>>> I'll setup doc generation using sphinx on my machine, is there
>>> a particular command line that you have used for these warnings ?
>> I just do a "make htmldocs"
> I did that, please have a look at the test log.

Hi,

Where is the test log?

--
~Randy

2021-02-25 07:57:37

by Chaitanya Kulkarni

Randy,

On 2/24/21 13:45, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>>> I just do a "make htmldocs"
>> I did that, please have a look at the test log.
>>
> Hi,
>
> Where is the test log?

I sent out the following patch yesterday @ 23:16 PST with Stephen in CC
on linux-block :- https://marc.info/?l=linux-block&m=161415113122092&w=2