2021-02-23 18:46:23

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Modules updates for v5.12

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 10:26 AM Linus Torvalds
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 7:42 AM Jessica Yu <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Please pull below to receive modules updates for the v5.12 merge window.
>
> Pulled.

Actually, I take that back.

I think there is something horribly wrong in my tree, and my build
process is now about 30% slower. It went from 5+ minutes to 8+
minutes. The main suspect would be some lack of parallelism.

I can't see anything in the module pull that could possibly cause
this, but it seems to have coincided with that pull.

I'm investigating, but the output stopped for a long time at

CHK include/generated/autoksyms.h

Ring a bell? Did something change in here?

Linus

2021-02-23 23:49:06

by Linus Torvalds

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 10:42 AM Linus Torvalds
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I think there is something horribly wrong in my tree, and my build
> process is now about 30% slower. It went from 5+ minutes to 8+
> minutes. The main suspect would be some lack of parallelism.

I don't see quite what is wrong, but bisection is clear, and points
the finger at

367948220fce "module: remove EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL*"

which looks entirely trivial, but clearly isn't.

It's repeatable. That commit slows down my build hugely.

Linus