2017-03-03 10:42:29

by Nathan Royce

Subject: Re: XTS Crypto Not Found In /proc/crypto Even After Compiled for 4.10.1.

I do have ECB selected as well:
DM_CRYPT=y
CRYPTO_ECB=y
CRYPTO_XTS=y

name : ecb(aes)
driver : ecb-aes-s5p
module : kernel
priority : 100
refcnt : 1
selftest : passed
internal : no
type : ablkcipher
async : yes
blocksize : 16
min keysize : 16
max keysize : 32
ivsize : 0
geniv : <default>
//still no "xts" can be found in the list

I saw this about the regression that sounds similar to my issue,
except even when I built-in dm_crypt (no initramfs. just diving
straight into system), it still fails:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg23748.html

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 3:33 AM, Herbert Xu <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 03:00:26AM -0600, Nathan Royce wrote:
>> OK, I went ahead and enabled self tests
>> "CRYPTO_MANAGER_DISABLE_TESTS=n", and my system was able to boot,
>> albeit with failures:
>> *****
>> Mar 02 23:14:38 server kernel: ---[ end trace 1c8a91f28cbcebf3 ]---
>> Mar 02 23:14:38 server kernel: alg: skcipher: encryption failed on
>> test 1 for xts(ecb-aes-s5p): ret=35
>> Mar 02 23:14:38 server kernel: device-mapper: table: 254:0: crypt:
>> Error allocating crypto tfm
>> Mar 02 23:14:38 server kernel: device-mapper: ioctl: error adding
>> target to table
>> Mar 02 23:14:39 server systemd-cryptsetup[234]: Failed to activate
>> with key file '/dev/urandom': Invalid argument
>> *****
>> (weird that it asked for the passphrase)
>>
>> But I do question whether the root issue is related to s5p... Maybe
>> there is a correlation in the warning, but to me it looks like the
>> issue is something else.
>
> I see. Do you have ECB enabled in your config? The new XTS requires
> ECB to be present so that could be your problem.
>
> There is already a patch on its way to stable to add the Kconfig
> select on ECB.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Email: Herbert Xu <[email protected]>
> Home Page: http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/
> PGP Key: http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/pubkey.txt

2017-03-03 12:58:10

by Herbert Xu

On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 04:36:18AM -0600, Nathan Royce wrote:
> I do have ECB selected as well:
> DM_CRYPT=y
> CRYPTO_ECB=y
> CRYPTO_XTS=y
>
> name : ecb(aes)
> driver : ecb-aes-s5p
> module : kernel
> priority : 100
> refcnt : 1
> selftest : passed
> internal : no
> type : ablkcipher
> async : yes
> blocksize : 16
> min keysize : 16
> max keysize : 32
> ivsize : 0
> geniv : <default>
> //still no "xts" can be found in the list

Weird. So you can't find any instances of xts in /proc/crypto
at all? Even if the self-test fails it should still register an
entry there...

In any case, I think disabling the s5p driver should work at
least.

Email: Herbert Xu <[email protected]>

by Nathan Royce

Yup, when I disabled the s5p driver, xts DID show in the /proc/crypto list.

Heh, I was about to ask if it was something I should push towards
another maintainer for s5p stuff, but found you listed in that as
well.
If I am incorrect in that assumption, do let me know whom else I
should make aware of this issue.
Also let me know if you would like the rest of the kernel panic. Maybe
you already have enough to go on and don't need it.

Thanks for all that clarity.