2018-04-17 17:23:42

by Sebastian Kuzminsky

Subject: fix for bnx2x panic during ethtool reporting

"ethtool -i" on a bnx2x interface causes kernel panic when the
firmware version is longer than expected. The attached patch fixes
the problem by simplifying the string handling in bnx2x_fill_fw_str().
It applies cleanly to 4.14 and 4.17-rc1.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky

Attachments:
0001-bnx2x-make-fw-str-in-a-non-crazy-way.patch (1.21 kB)

2018-04-17 23:43:58

by Florian Fainelli

Subject: Re: fix for bnx2x panic during ethtool reporting

+netdev, Ariel,

On 04/17/2018 10:21 AM, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
> "ethtool -i" on a bnx2x interface causes kernel panic when the
> firmware version is longer than expected. The attached patch fixes
> the problem by simplifying the string handling in bnx2x_fill_fw_str().
> It applies cleanly to 4.14 and 4.17-rc1.

If you want to have a chance of getting your patch included, your should
make sure you copy the driver maintainers and the network mailinglist,
doing that.
--
Florian

2018-04-24 14:30:18

by Kalluru, Sudarsana

On 04/17/2018 10:21 AM, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
> "ethtool -i" on a bnx2x interface causes kernel panic when the
> firmware version is longer than expected. The attached patch fixes
> the problem by simplifying the string handling in bnx2x_fill_fw_str().
> It applies cleanly to 4.14 and 4.17-rc1.

If you want to have a chance of getting your patch included, your should make sure you copy the driver maintainers and the network mailinglist, doing that.
--
Florian

Acked-by: Sudarsana Kalluru <[email protected]>

2018-04-24 17:24:20

by Sebastian Kuzminsky

Here's an updated version of the patch that is checkpatch.pl clean (I
had forgotten to sign off...).

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky

Attachments:
0001-bnx2x-make-fw-str-in-a-non-crazy-way.patch (1.26 kB)