2000-11-01 01:25:34

by Dunlap, Randy

Subject: RE: test10-pre7 (LINK ordering)

> > > With CONFIG_USB=y and all other USB modules built as
> > > modules (=m), linking usbdrv.o into the kernel image
> > > gives this:
> >
> > > drivers/usb/usbdrv.o(.data+0x2f4): undefined reference to
> >
> > Works for me here, .config attached. Local changes, merge error, or
> > similar? I don't have any local USB patches...
>
> I agree. My (rushed) bad.
> Didn't rm usb/*.o .
>
> Thanks for catching me. I'm pleased that there's
> no problem here.

Hi Jeff,

Did I speak too quickly again?

Can you successfully do 'depmod -ae' _before_
booting this kernel?

I still get lots of unresolved USB symbols in
all USB modules.

Is it valid to run depmod like this before
booting the kernel that has usbcore in-kernel?
depmod -ae works after I boot that kernel + usbcore.

~Randy

2000-11-01 02:12:57

by Keith Owens

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:24:24 -0800,
"Dunlap, Randy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Is it valid to run depmod like this before
>booting the kernel that has usbcore in-kernel?
>depmod -ae works after I boot that kernel + usbcore.

To run depmod against a new 2.4.0-test10 kernel,
make modules_install
depmod -ae -F System.map 2.4.0-test10
Without -F, depmod reads /proc/ksyms which are for the old kernel.
make modules_install runs depmod with those parameters anyway.